iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS362 vs MS391

Started by Clam77, October 23, 2011, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clam77

New user here- found this site and after reading some threads I admire the knowledge base and.... professionalism of it's seasoned members.

My question:  I'm in the search for a new style saw in the 60cc range, and after owning and having run mostly Stihls, I'm thinking I want to stick with Stihl.  The new one is going to replace an 041 that's been passed down and still runs- It's just heavily worn and I want the better fuel economy and anti-vibration that supposedly goes with the newer ones- the wrists are getting a lil tired!   :)

I know the 362 is in the PRO catagory, and the 391 not, but since they're almost the same saw from what i can find out, what exactly does it have over the 391 that justifies an extra $150? 

It will be used mostly for bucking and felling hardwood in the 12"-30" range with a few softies on occasion, if that helps any?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Jim H

The 362 has slightly more power and about a pound less weight. The main difference is the 362 can be freshened up ( new piston/cylinder) more easily. The 390 was usually not an economically practical rebuild candidate, I would guess the same is true with the 391. Either saw should do what you need.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Cut4fun

150 is a drop in the bucket to upgrade to magnesium case pro grade saw. First time you work on one you will thank yourself many times over.  How much they costing?

Also if you can find the MS361 ( which was $589 new)  I would take that over the newer strato heavier MS362 that replaced it.

Clam77

Well Cut, I think the dealers in this area are pretty well on top of switching stuff out with newer models, but from what I've read all around I think I'll agree and look for a 361 instead of the 362.

The 391 in this area with a 20" is $569...   A new 362 with a 20/25" is $699/$709.    :-\

I'm not in the logging business, so that seems kind of steep, but this'll probably be the last NEW saw I buy for a few decades so... I want it to last as long as the 041 has. 

And I hope you're right Jim - there's nothing worse than having a piece of equipment that needs serviced and you not being able to do it simply because it's not designed for it. 

Having decided that... now it's off to try and find parts for the old Mac out in the shed..
Andy

Mac 1-40, 3-25

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 24, 2011, 04:32:26 PM
150 is a drop in the bucket to upgrade to magnesium case pro grade saw. First time you work on one you will thank yourself many times over.  How much they costing?

Also if you can find the MS361 ( which was $589 new)  I would take that over the newer strato heavier MS362 that replaced it.

I totally agree!   :)
Information collector.

acco1840

If I were to buy a smaller Stihl, I would get an MS381. Had one and was a great powerful medium saw with not much weight and a lot of zip. 72cc, 20 inch bar, 3/8 chain.

T Welsh

I always tend to go over the hill when it comes to buying tools :D take them both for a test ride and pick the one that suites you! for me,I always go pro models on Stihl.it seems like the 391 is not. happy shopping!! Tim

Ianab

You should look at the intended market for the 2 saws.

The 391 is intended for part time use. It's a good reliable saw. Farmers, firewood cutters etc. who might only use the saw a few days a year in total, but need a decent saw when they are using it.  It's not a "bad" saw, and if used as intended it's going to be reliable and give years of service. If this is your use, you can buy one, stick the extra $150 back in your pocket, and go cutting wood.

The 362 is designed as a professional saw. To be used every day. It's got a better power to weight, more durable construction etc. It's designed for the guys who are going to be cutting for a living, every day, and should also give many years of use. Where a 391 might be worn out after 6 months of heavy use. In that case, paying $150 more for the better saw is nothing when spread out over a couple of years use. One pound lighter doesn't sound like much, until you have been dragging it though the bush all day. 10% faster  doesn't sound like much, until you cut 10% more wood in year.  ;)

Or - if you just appreciate a well made tool, you can buy a 362 for firewood, and really enjoy using it.  ;) :D

I'm a hobby logger / sawyer, but my "go to" saw is my Dolmar 7900, because it's a pro grade saw, bigger than the 362, but the same sort of quality. I also have a trusty older MS310, which is from the same line as the 391. It's a fine saw, always starts, cuts good, but it's just not my favourite   ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

T Welsh

Ianab, is dead on it again, the difference between the two are just as he said part time user and professional. why Stihl started making them is the homeowner market they where missing out on. they are all right saws ( I carry one of them in the tool box of the log truck for cutting log length firewood ends off that our boys measured wrong) none of our guys want to use it, because it doesnt scream like a race saw. but it starts and cuts. had a buddy buy a new saw and he asked me to look at it and I stated that he bought a model intended for the homeowner market. he took it back to dealer and bought a pro model :D. it all boils down to what you are going to use it for and how much you want to pay for it. Tim

CabinDweller

Clam, I was in this exact same debate about a month or so ago. I figured that when spending this amount of money, it would be worth it to pay the extra $150 and know that I got the "better" tool. Nothing worse than spending $500 or more to save $150 and then wishing later that you have just spent the extra. I got my 362 with and 18" bar on sale for $619. I've run about 5 tanks of fuel through it so far and couldn't be happier.

That all being said, I am sure that the 391 is a fine saw too (like I said, I almost bought one). I ran an MS270 prior to the 362. It is a "mid-range" saw like the 391 and I never had any problems with it. It performed very well for me.

Good luck.
Cutting to heat my log home...

- Stihl Chainsaws
- Norwood Industries LumberMate Saw Mill

Clam77

Little update here-- went and got the 362 instead of the 391.  Like Ian said... I appreciate a well-made tool that's going to last- and I'm USUALLY willing to pay a lil extra for it.

Got the saw with the 20" and 33RSC3 chain on it (didn't want the low-kickback but I thought I'd try it and see the difference compared to previous uses- now I know not to get it again  :D ), was low on bar oil so a gallon of that, the HP Ultra fuel mix, a couple files, an extra wrench, a hard-case (it has to ride in the back of the truck), and 2 extra RSC chains for right at $830.  Not a bad deal for this area I'm told. 

One of the chains came extra with the saw and the other came extra with the hard-case (for $50).

Worked it's ass off cutting up a good sized chunk of old ash- probably close to 40" round and 3' tall... and then a old spruce log that was around 30" round.  Other than stopping to touch up the chain a couple times, not a hiccup to be had, although it seems slightly under-powered, which from what I've read about these new ones, it'll come out of after 5 or 6 tanks of fuel through it.

The advice is well appreciated fellas- and i do love the saw. 

The old Mac project btw is an old 3-25.... I think.  Haven't laid eyes on it in a while.   :D
Andy

Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!