iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moving a Circle mill

Started by shopteacher, February 05, 2006, 12:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I have moved two of them. It's alot of owrk but not as bad as it might seem if you've never done it. If you don't have a skid steer or tractor with a front loader you pretty much have to find someone to hire for lifting.
The first mill I moved was a little manual tie mill. It was super easy. All I had at the time was a 20 ft tandem (not even dual) trailer and 4' of that was dovetail so I  basically only had a 16' trailer, and I moved it all myself.
Did it like Buzz said. Cut it up and load it.
The one I finished moving more recently (about 200 miles like yours) took about 9 trips (didn't count them) but there was alot of auxillary equipment and scrap steel and other goodies. I have a 34' and the 20'er to do it, but heck I could have moved the mill alone with just the 20' if I had had to do so.
It isn't hard really. Cut it up and load it. Don't worry too much about breaking anything. If it breaks weld it back together.
Also, if you can afford/enlist help that would be great but be of good cheer if you don't have any help. I did 99% of it myself, although there were a couple of times I nearly killed myself on this last mill.
If you take a cutting torch and a nice array of basic tools (be sure to take a long, HEAVY pry bar) you can cut it up and assess it before you bring along the lift equipment. Don't be discouraged though it might seem monumental just standing there looking at it, once you start that first cut - all you have left to do is finish. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Sawyerfortyish

Shopteacher I have moved 4 sawmills. First thing don't take anything apart til you take lots and lots of pictures from differant angles of everything. When we moved my first mill we had 2 trucks one had a14' box the other a 12' box we didn't have a forklift and I still can't believe we got everything on by hand. We were able to roll the carrige off the end of the track right into the 14' truck. Then took the track up in sections the longest was 16'and stood them on there side and slid them into the truck with the carrige. All the rest went in the other truck. I think we used comealongs chained to a hook in the front of the box truck to slide the husk on everything else was just parts and pieces we loaded. There was no power unit with this mill.
   My last mill we used a 45' trailer and box truck most all of the mill went on the trailer and was apart when we got there and was loaded in just a couple hours by forklift.
 If you are going to take apart  your mill I would take every kind of tool from air tools to a smokewrench along with lots of chains, blocking,and pry bars. If they have any kind of forklift or bucket loader there take full advantage of it. The worst part is probably loading the power unit and husk. The carrige will roll and track will come apart in sections. Good luck and post lots of pictures 8)

shopteacher

Well it was one long weekend, but got the Corley tore down and trucked home.  Took two days from 7:AM to 10:PM to travel the 220 miles and take her apart and load them parts and drive the 220 miles home.  I got 50 feet of track, an Oliver 6 cyl and Chrysler 8 cyl engine, 3 sections of rollers, the mill with a 54" insert blade with new carbide inserts, in two trips on a one ton rollback. I'm so glad to have it home I'm going to take next weekend off and go get a little sun in Phoenix.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

J_T

Get some sun  ??? An't you just a busting to here that blade sing ??? ???
Jim Holloway

shopteacher

Unfortunitly it will probably be the end of summer before I get her back together and all set up.  need a piece of land next to me and got to get the guy to sell it.

beenthere

shopteach
That is impressive, to say the very least, IMO.  You deserve a break today, or whenever. Sure hope you didn't have a problem with the camera working, or missing, or 'no time' to shoot pics (the last I would believe though  :) ).  
Good luck with the land deal too.

Good on ya.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

Wow that was quick!

That should be an awesome mill.. smiley_beertoast
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

sandman2234

I know you have the pictures safe and sound, but you might want to post them here, just to prevent loss in case of some media malfunction. Plus it gives everyone else the chance to talk about how sorry a photographer you might be, or congradulate you on the nice pictures, and excellant purchase.
   David from jax

Sawyerfortyish

Ahh I bet he forgot all about the pictures. Yep thats it. He probably said to himself i'll remember how all this goes. Forgot all about us. Just wait till you go to put it togeather and can't remember. WILL GET EVEN  ::) ;D

shopteacher

Gee, can't get no peace around here. Kids all day and you'se guys at night.
Well here's what I got. Hope you can make them out. they were taken to show how things was and not really as pictures to what the mill looked like.
I ordered a copy of a operators manual from a 1950 Corley mill so should have some info on parts and how things go if anyone needs it.

beenthere

Dat looks like a whole lotta fun waitin to happen. Hurry back from Phoenix........ta get started.  ;D

What's the first project?  Get the engines to run?  Clean down the mill parts and rebuild any rotten timbers? Must be a ton of things that come to mind, seein as you are pretty organized member and all.....

(Thanks for rearranging the pics.  )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mometal77

Hi,  Shopteacher

You got a great deal.  I recently tried buying a plasma cutter.  And another guy at the last minute started bidding against me.  I lost and the other guy was a non bidder.  What i have found with ebay is a lot of people have friends that bid against you and jack the price up.  I got a response back from this guy asking me if i wanted it.  I was like hey why dont you put it back down to the price the guy started out with when bidding.  430 dollars to 1300 for a 2500 plasma cutter.. Just wanted to share my experiences.
Buyer beware.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

sandman2234

mometal77,
   That is pretty much my feelings on ebay bidding. If I loose an auction, and get a request to buy it from the seller, I make my offer at what the auction would have been, had the winning bidder never showed up. I explain it that way, and haven't had any refusals. But the junk I buy, nobody else wants it anyway.
    David from jax

shopteacher

Beenthere:  The mill was operational when I got there. We even cut a few boards before taking it apart. The only thing that was dismantled was a shaft with the cable drum and gear. I had to drop it off the husk so I could put the husk on skids to pull up onto my truck.  So inorder to get her back running all that needs done is to set up the husk, track and carriage and engine and she's ready to go.  I'm trying to get a piece of land next to me and plan to pour concrete bunks for the track, husk & engine to sit on. Put a shed over it and she ready to saw.

isassi

That drag chain looks like a real drag  ;) If it was me, I would find a sawdust blower. My meadows made a believer out of me on getting rid of sawdust even though it takes horsepoer to run. Only downside is having the mill setting east/west and sawing when the wind is out of the south....man oh man....just a cloud. If and when it goes in a building, it will be great, since the dust will be piped out.

shopteacher

Anybody got an idea what a new 54" blade costs?

isassi

The guys on the left can tell you. Hope you have a spare $2000 or so. I have a 60" I am going to send off for doctoring...when I save enough aluminum cans.  ;)

Ron Wenrich

Is there no blade?  I wouldn't jump into a $2000 investment unless I knew the old saw was shot.  You may also find a used saw at a saw doctor.  There's one out around the Bedford area (I think). 

As for blower vs dust drag, I like the dust drag, unless you are blowing into a trailer.  I had one on our old handmill and it worked pretty good.  It would pull out pieces of bark and other stuff that fell down into the pit.  I ran it out to a pole and brought it back over top of the mill so that the chain wouldn't catch together.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

shopteacher

Oh, it's got a great blade with all new carbide teeth.  I was puting it in the garage tonight and just wondered what it would cost to replace if I had to.  Any idea what it cost to have one hammered and how can you tell if it need to be hammered or not?

Sawyerfortyish

You said you ran the mill and cut some lumber. Did the blade stand up straight without wobbleing. Was the lumber the same size and thickness from one end to the other. If it wasn't.  That can be a combination of many things.But if the blade didn't stand there nice and straight when you cranked up the power unit to the speed used to cut lumber it may need hammering. If it were me I'de leave it alone and see how it cuts. Don't try to fix something that may not need fixing.

UNCLEBUCK

Congratulations to you  8)  Corley is like Cadillac !  I bought a new Simonds blade awhile back and I can honestly say I have put the old blade back on when I didnt feel like metal detection . I know I could have bought a good used instead but it will last a lifetime for me if I should decide to take it out of the oiled sheepskin sawsheeth . My adivce is dont change anything and just use it and use it hard ! Thats great !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ron Wenrich

I doubt if it needs hammered, but mine are running about $100 to hammer.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Grappletractor

I have been selling plasma cutters on EBay for over two years and have NEVER once asked a friend to jack the bids. I really don't think that is too common.

Quote from: mometal77 on February 15, 2006, 01:08:07 AM
Hi,  Shopteacher

You got a great deal.  I recently tried buying a plasma cutter.  And another guy at the last minute started bidding against me.  I lost and the other guy was a non bidder.  What i have found with ebay is a lot of people have friends that bid against you and jack the price up.  I got a response back from this guy asking me if i wanted it.  I was like hey why dont you put it back down to the price the guy started out with when bidding.  430 dollars to 1300 for a 2500 plasma cutter.. Just wanted to share my experiences.
Buyer beware.

bandmiller2

Seeing as this thread is back on top,Shopteacher how are you making out with mr Corley.A circular sawmill move is daunting,along with their restoration ,one piece at a time.I just moved a chase #1 just a pickup and a single axle trailer 10'long,come along, jack planks ,and one old phart.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shopteacher

Well it's on the back burner with a lot of other projects. There are so many backed up projects I don't know where to start anymore.  I'm currently trying to finish my saw shed that I started about 3 years ago. Then need to finish up my barn I started about 10 years ago, then the peak on the backside of the house, then complete my bio diesel processor, then the transmission in my Mercedes, then, then, then, etc. etc. etc. I'm glad I only got another 100 years to live.
   I'm really considering selling the Corley, as I don't think I might ever get to setting her back up.

Thank You Sponsors!