iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat Diesels on WM

Started by shopteacher, February 19, 2008, 09:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

I've seen several mills listed with cat engines that have been replaced after low hrs.  Anybody hear anything about how well or not the cat engines are holding up?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

MikeH

I dunno but have recieved special letter from woodmizer about the importance of not overtighten belt on crankshaft and that is not under warrenty if to tight. :o

slider

Shopteacher,I bought one last year on ebay,the turbo went out under warrenty and cat replaced the engine the seller said untill that he had no problems.It had 5 hrs. on it when I bought it. I just run it on weekends but it's doing fine. slider
al glenn

Bibbyman

Likely they were replacing older Kubota or Lombardini engines.

Here is a link to Wood-Mizer's engine replacement page..

Wood-Mizer Replacement Engines
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

shopteacher

There's one on WM used mill site with 1025 hrs. on the mill and 5 hrs. on the 51 hp. cat engine and another with 193 hrs. on the mill and 10 hrs. on the 34 hp. cat.  I think I seen a couple on the sawmill exchange that were also changed out with low hrs.  I know that Lombardini engine seems to be changed on just about every mill I've looked at.  You see a big difference in the price of a replacement on WM replacement eng. site.
   I'm not trying to insinuate anything about WM or their mills, in fact I in the market to buy another and just want to know all the facts I can before jumping into another mill.  I'm probably going to purchase an electric, but if I happen to find a good deal on a difference power plant I wouldn't pass it up.

woodhick

Not sure if it is the same engine or not but I have a friend that works at a local rental (national chain) supplier.  I asked him recently about the Cat skid steers.  They had a couple of new one there and had previously had Bobcats.  He said he had already replaced the engines in two of the Cat's with less than 150 hours on them.  He said on both of them the had thrown rod through block.   Sounds Like Cat has a problem with this size engine. 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Bibbyman

One of the mills on the WM site with a new Cat engine has a note that it was used for a Yanmar engine test by R&D.

I just saw one on the Sawmill Excange site.  That one was a 62 CAT on an LT70.  It could have been some power upgrade as the 62 CAT engine wasn't available on the first LT70s. 

Sawing since '94

shinnlinger

I noticed in a recent Surplus Center catalog that similar sized Cat diesels (50 horse and under) were about a third less than comparably sized Kubotas. 

There must be a reason.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

farmerdoug

I know the Lombardini engines had a problem with the diesel fuel leaking into the oil.  It would thin the oil and cause all kinds of problems.  The fuel lines ran under the oil cover.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Norwiscutter

I herd that the Lomberdini's either ran for ever, or had to be replaced in the first 500 hours. In my mind, it is too bad that WM switched over to Cat from Kubota. In my experience, the Kubota engines have always seamed to be more fuel efficient than Cat, and have always had a reputation for being good runners.

Of course business is business, and I am sure Cat offered WM a better price than Kubota, so now you have only Cat.

Don't get me wrong, i like Cat equipment, it is just that the cost for the Cat name has always come at a premium. Also, I am biased, as I have a Kubota Mini-ex.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Bibbyman

I'm a 'lecric guy but those 62hp CAT engines on the LT70 sure can "walk the dog". 

I think the Perkins engine in our Terex is about the same as the CAT engine on the WM.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

If the 62 has got an edge ever the 25 electric, then why don't they offer a 30 electric on the LT70's?

I am disappointed in the switch to Perkins Cat as well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

big_sid

I have 860 hrs. on my cat/perkins, not one problem so far, it used a little oil at first, but not hardly any now, (between oil changes) A cat service guy I had talked to, said they were the same engines on cat backhoes, he called it a perk a pillar. I would say they exchanged engines you are seeing are up grades to cats, or the drive belt was over tight, it will ring the crank into.
never been so happy to be so broke

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 20, 2008, 07:15:27 PM
If the 62 has got an edge ever the 25 electric, then why don't they offer a 30 electric on the LT70's?

I am disappointed in the switch to Perkins Cat as well.

Dave

Maybe they thought it would compete too strong with the LT300?  Just guessing.
Sawing since '94

jesse

there is a cat skid steer in the for sale section with 5 hrs. on new motor

www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29438.0.html

Dave Shepard

That was my thought as well Bibbyman. I am an electric guy too, I love diesels, but they are best suited for things that move under their own power. ;) I have an AWMV movie of the LT300. :o They say with a multihead resaw it will turn out 30 mbf per shift. :o :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 20, 2008, 11:18:14 PM
That was my thought as well Bibbyman. I am an electric guy too, I love diesels, but they are best suited for things that move under their own power. ;) I have an AWMV movie of the LT300. :o They say with a multihead resaw it will turn out 30 mbf per shift. :o :o

Dave

And a few good men (or women).   ;)
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

I have 954 hrs on my 51 Cat, no problems. I added 1 qt oil on the first 175 hrs, none since between oil changes. If I am not mistaken, there is a 6 yr warranty on this engine. My local Cat dealer has told me they have had very little trouble with the perk a pillar engines.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

shopteacher

Glad to hear some good reports from you guys and won't be as leary of the cat eng. if I happen to come across a mill with one on it.

customsawyer

I have a little over 2300 hrs on my 62hp Cat.
When I had about 1800 hrs on it I had the head gasket go on it and then the very next week the front main seal went out, I am calling the seal closest to the radiator the front, both of these were repaired under warranty. IMHO they should have never went that soon but as we all know some things happen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mhasel

So is the CAT engine just a Perkins dressed in Yellow? My experience with Perkins both gas and diesel has always been fantastic, all our Massey equipment has a Perkins and I have held them in nothing but high regard. At any rate the 42 Kubota is a great little runner too, very reliable best fuel economy I have ever seen, I was glad to have gotten my LT40 with the Kubota just for the BPG (boards per gallon) factor. But like was said WM and CAT must have struck a deal.

Mike

Dave Shepard

Any of the small "CAT" engines I have seen in the mini Cat excavators and the ASV skid loaders have been Perkapillers.

Dave

jpgreen

The dirty little secrete that's coming to light is Cat has had major problems with engineering their engines to meet the new EPA regs.  I would be very leary of buying one until they get this mess straightend out.

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Gary_C

Quote from: jpgreen on February 22, 2008, 01:36:09 AM
The dirty little secrete that's coming to light is Cat has had major problems with engineering their engines to meet the new EPA regs.  I would be very leary of buying one until they get this mess straightend out.

Back when the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel regulations came out, all the major trucking fleets bought or leased ahead for one or two years so they would not have to buy any of the trucks with the new ULSD engines for some time to get the bugs worked out.

So I am sure that Cat was not the only engine that had troubles and it has been over a year since the new regs went into effect. I do not know if these small diesels were really affected by this, so it is really not a big deal. Even if they were, I think that all companies that make engines have stood ready to cover problems with their warantees. So I would not be too concerned with these rumors of problems.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SeeSaw

I have a 51 hp cat on my LT40 Super and have had no trouble really other than a bad glow plug in one cylinder which made it hard to start on very cold days.  This was a problem it had from day 1 and it was not noticed until it got cold.  However, other than that I'm very pleased with the power etc.  Fuel economy could be better I will admit that.

Craig
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Thank You Sponsors!