iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Mill Dust Collection

Started by NRPohlenz, April 18, 2017, 12:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NRPohlenz

First post, glad to have joined the community!

I operate and manage a local sawmill that cuts, drys, and processes primarily Black Walnut slabs. I cut almost all of them with an Alaskan chainsaw mill attached to a Stihl 880 Magnum. The amount of saw dust this produces in windy, windy Kansas is brutal.

I am currently scheming up a dust collection system with a shopvac and some type of rigging attached to the Stihl, any thoughts? Has anyone created some type of bracket or rigging that would hold a shopvac hose right at the chainsaw dust ejection point?

miro

I used a Granberg CSM and fgured out a sawdust sucker based on an electric leaf blower sucking rather than blowing. I used a 4 in dia dryer hose and aluminum dryer vent pipe to capture about 50% of the sawdust.
You'll need plenty of fast airflow to capture the sawdust.
I connected the blower to a large cloth ( 3 ft x 4 ft) my wife sewed upmade of cotton cloth - porous initially but with some dust cake it worked OK.
She put a zipper on one seam so I could empty it easily.

I recall that I also could use the swdust sucker to "vacuum" up after a days sawing.
miro

Czech_Made

I am fighting with sawdust too, planning to put a deflector on the end of the support bar to at least keep it more contained than now.

I usually rake it and haul away after several logs.

Brad_bb

Are you chainsaw milling at your place or insite where the tree was felled?  If at your place, Can you get an extension cord to where you're milling?  If so, I'd use an actual dust collector bag unit on wheels. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

NRPohlenz

I have electrical access where all my milling is done, at the permanent sawmill location. This has less to do with clean up (Me and the gophers shovel it all onto a concrete pad where the Bobcat can scoop and dump into a dump trailer) as it does with avoiding inhaling and getting sawdust in eyes, etc.

I do use proper safety equipment from goggles to dust masks, but dealing with a constant barrage of finer saw dust as the saw dulls is brutal going into the Kansas wind. Curious if any body has designed a rig that attaches to their support bars to mount the dust collector. I actually have an extra vacuuming unit around, just don't have a way to hold it by the chainsaw.

Thank You Sponsors!