iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrels 17hmr, 17hm2, 22LR

Started by rbhunter, April 18, 2008, 12:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbhunter

I am considering getting a new rifle for squirrel hunting with my son. My eyes are not what they used to be and my old rifle does not have scope mounts. I am trying to figure out whether to get another 22LR or one of the 17HM2s or 17HMRs for squirrel hunting.  I like the accuracy of the ammo on the 17s but wonder about the damage. I would also like to mount a nice cheaper scope on the rifle and use it for targets some. The price of the ammo is not that relevant because even when shooting targets I take my time.

I have seen scopes which you can adjust the distance of the shot to set the cross hairs instead of using kentucky windage. I have seen these in BSA and also in Cabelas Pine Ridge collection. They both seem to have good reviews.

I want to stay with a bolt action rifle. Savage and Marlin have these rifles in heavy barrels for around $200.00. I am leaning toward staying with a heavy barrel although from what I have read the heavy barrel is not that important in the smaller calibers because it takes more shots to build up heat.

One more thing is gun cleaning. I have a break down rod I have used in the past and up on reading different posts I would like to get something other than the metal take down rod I have used in the past as it can damage the rifleing. What do others use?

Randy
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

okie

Randy, look at it like this, the mach II is like a 22lr necked down to a 17 bullet, and the hmr is the 22mag necked down. For long range target go with the hmr, squirrels are readily dispatched with the mach II. Wind is a little tougher on these rounds but they shoot so much flatter. In short, if the 22 lr suits your needs for a squirrel / target gun but you want a little better accuracy go with the mach II, if you intend to fire at longer ranges than easily feasible with a lr, go with the hmr. Personally I like the hmr, little or no price difference in the rifle or ammo and you got a little more umph if you need it. Damage, no different than the 22, take a rib or head shot and you will see no waste.
Just my honest opinion.
Morgan
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Dave Shepard

I think it depends on range. An HMR will be way overkill under 50 yards, and too expensive for plinking, at least for me. I have taken crows at 100 yards, and at that range, the devastation is brutal. I have not used the HM2.

Due to the laws of MA, you can only use a .22LR or smaller (what's smaller than a .22lr? ??? ) at night, i.e. for coon or coyote hunting. Many people have been using the HMR for coyote hunting, and reporting great success at some pretty astounding ranges.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bro. Noble

I bought a Henry Varmint rifle in hmr.  It's amazing the distances that you can hit crows.  If I were to do it over,  however,  I'd buy a 22 mag  cause the .17 is a pain to clean in my opinion.

The dealer that I bought the gun from gave me four boxes of ammo------all different brands.   He said there was a lot of difference in the way a given rifle handled the different .17's.  I sure found this to be true.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Burlkraft

Apparently in Michigan all you need is a chainsaw to squirrel hunt   :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 19, 2008, 08:40:03 AM
Apparently in Michigan all you need is a chainsaw to squirrel hunt   :D  :D  :D

And....an escape route. :D

Dave Shepard

Is there a related topic re: chainsaw squirrel hunting? :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Warren

One of the nice things about shooting a .22 with the lubed lead bullets is you really don't need to clean the bore.  Shooting copper jacketed bullets in the .17 cal, I would expect you will need to clean the bore with some regularity.

For target shooting with a .22, if you are shooting for "group size" ala benchrest, try some of the sub sonic rounds.  I have an old Remington 581 with a 4x scope that will put Federal Ultra Match Sub Sonic and Eley Plus Subsonic HP into a 0.3" to 0.4" hole at 25 yds all afternoon.  (squirrel range) And the fancy .22 target ammo is no more expensive than the common .17 rimfire ammo.

Now, if you're wanting to shoot "distance", .17's are the way to go.

Just my $0.02...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

dutchman

I bought a 17HMR for coyote this past winter. Put a BSA 4x16 target, with lighted reticle.
Using the heavy, 20 gr hollow point CCI and Hornady ammo.
Shoot off bench at 100 yds.
Found a clean barrel shoots a spread group 2" or 1.5" A slight breeze spreds even more.
This Savage loves a fowled barrel,shoots under .5" on a calm day.
I would think the  17 gr rounds would be plenty for squirrel.

limbrat

A cz. 452 in 22lr. is hard to beat. I like the feel of the trainer and lux models. They have palm swells and kind of cuddle with you. They have adjustable triggers and matched chambers you cant shoot cci stingers in them. A matched chamber and standard or target loads are more critical in a rimfire than a heavy barrel. The heavy barrel is not about heat displacement, it is about controling vibration. When you shoot you are causing a explosion at one end of a steel tube. The frequency of vibration is known so most barrels are cut to lenghts that will have the muzzel at the right place when the bullet leaves the end of the barrel. A Match chamber engages the bullet in the rifeling before it is fired and helps accuracy alot. For ammunition i like wolf mt. (match target) it is a inexpensive bullet but is a good and consistent bullet. Try to keep away from the high velosity rounds. When Green Mountian built a match chamber barrel for the cci stinger they had to speed the rifeling twist from 16/1 to 14/1 to get the bullet to stabalize and it still cant touch a stock cz. 452. with standard ammunition. They use a mauser style action. The company use to be called Cz.Brono (could help to explain why they use the mauser action since they built mausers). And they dont cost as much as you think The last one i shopped for about three yrs. ago cost 225. If you hit the pawn shops and gun shows a very good hundred dollar gun is a Romanian Trainer a military trainer with a 24" barrel and is verry accurate and lite. As for the glass on top if you are going to be shooting paper get the best you can. If you are going to be shooting squirrels geta good piece of glass with small optics that you can mount as close to the bore as possible a 32 to 28 mm keeping the scope close to the bore will help to compensate for the bullets rise and fall. I site squirrel my rife in at 40 yds. that is were i seem to take most of my shots. chest shots save meat
ben

limbrat

I dont use a rod i pull patches. I got a piece of very heavy weed eater line and cut a split through it about a half inch from the end use bore butter and then pull patches till they come clean. I never ever brush and only clean every 6 or 7 hundred rounds. Sorry to keep going on and on but im a rimfire junkie and realy enjoy shooting a good gun.
ben

Dave Shepard

I own many different types of guns, but the rimfires are my favorites, probably 'cause they're cheap. :D I especially like Ruger auto pistols. Also have a couple of Woodsmans.

Dave

rbhunter

Thanks for the replies there are several good arguments for each it seems. I will be following this and let you know my decision. I am thinking at this point the HM2 may be what I need or a 22. The HMR may be overkill but at the same time may allow me to use it for other uses in the future if I decide to.

I am curious about Limbrants method of cleaning. Does the small slit hold the patch well. It sounds like a good way to clean the rimfire rifles. I have plenty of weed eater line. I think it is .095.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

limbrat

It holds a patch real good. its not a slit in the side of the line its a split right through the middle with a exacto knife. Start about .5" from one end and cut a split about 2" long.     limbrant :D :D
ben

flip

Depends on if you want them pre gutted before they hit the ground.  I use the Hornaday ballistic tips on ground hogs, coons, opossum, beaver-whatever.  These things do a huge amount of damage, I guess because of their velocity the literally explode when they hit flesh.  I would go with a .17 for squirrel only if you take head shots otherwise you'll be losing a lot of meat.  I have shot a lot of ground hogs with the 22 but the Savage .17 I have now absolutely tears the guts out of them, there is no comparison.  I have never had one run like after they are shot with a 22 long.  They have all expired within one or two body lengths. ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Larry

Only accurate guns are interesting...the rest make marginal crowbars.

I second limbrats recommendation for the CZ and ammo choice.

I clean with Delrin (sp) bolt inserts and Teflon coated rods

And since ya all like pics...I found out how accurate Wolf was some years ago...tried a mixed brick to find the most accurate lot number and bought a case...still have maybe 2,000 rounds left.

Next is a coated cleaning rod with brass centering plug.

Delrin inserts for bolt actions...one for a Sako, Anschultz, and Suhl.  I think I made the one for the Suhl.  Next is maybe a generic insert for center-fire.

A good 22 rf will pick the eye out of a squirrel at 50 and head shots at 100 are made frequently...of course the shooter must do his part.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

flip, I agree, the HMR hollow points are devastating. When I shoot a crow with them, there is nothing left but the shadow on the ground.

Dave

limbrat

I just figured out this picture posting thing
Here are some cz452s in 22lr the one in the back is a trainer with a 24" barrel that i squirrel hunt with. The one in the front is a ultra lux with a 29" barrel. Different stocks and barrels same bolt, reciever and trigger. Even the scout down sized for kids uses the same set up and they put the bullet were you wont it to go.
ben

woodtick#2

I have a Savage 17hmr and you cant beat it, i shoot on average 5 squirrels a week.  You need to shoot them in the head though if you plan on eating them because a body shot just turns em inside out.
-Nathan

MtnDon

Any kind of a pull thru is better than any rod, IMO. My son and I only use pull through cords in everything.

That Wolf (or SKS) 22lr subsonic is excellent benchrest target ammo.

CX3

limbrat thanks for the tip I will definetely use that one ;D

The hmr is way overkill for squirrel.  I used mine to kill four grays this fall, and on good broad side head shots, there will be no more head.  On one I hit him in the shoulder, and we only got to fry up the rear quarters of that squirrel.  The other was facing me and it was a mess too.  Just too much gun for squirrels. 

But heres the catch.  If you want to coyote hunt, the 22 wont knock him down too good.  The hmr wont skin him right there like a 22 250 will, but it will pop them pretty good, even when shoulder shot.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Chuck White

I think that if I was to buy a new rifle for "squirrel hunting", I'd go with the 17HM2.

The bullet itself loaded in the 17's is much more fragile than the 22LR, so when you hit a squirrel, the bullet should be done moving, whereas the 22LR being heavier and slower will continue to travel unless you have a tree trunk or limb behind the squirrel!

I also think that the 17 HM2 is considerably cheaper than the 17 HMR.

For cleaning, check out and see if they make a Bore SnakeĀ® small enough to clean the 17 calibers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!