iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut

Started by Chuck White, July 28, 2008, 07:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Does anyone here know if there is really a toxic danger to milling a butternut log.

Just a few days ago, a friend told me that inhaling a very small amount of the sawdust could be fatal.

Anyone know it this is true?

I did saw 2 butternut logs yesterday, but we waited until we had a good wind, and it took the sawdust out ahead of the saw.
This was a situation where I started the mill on it's way through the log and just let it go on it's own.
Got the customer some nice lumber from it.
Mostly cut into 6 & 8 inch boards, but he wanted a couple of wide boards, so we left 2 of them 16 inches.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Don't know what the "friend" is talking about.  ::) ::)

Did your first sentence have an "it" where there should be an "if" making it a question rather than a statement??  ??   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I've never heard of it being toxic. I've worked with a bit of it in the wood working shop over the years and never had a reaction to it. Doesn't mean someone else won't get sick or have a reaction though. I suspect the fine dust, like from any other wood, is a respiratory irritant.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Butternut sawdust is no more dangerous than any other sawdust you can find.  Your friend may be confusing toxicity with an allergy.  An allergy is an overreaction (sometimes very serious) to substances that are not inherently dangerous.  I have no doubt that there are some people out there who are allergic to butternut sawdust, just as there are people who are allergic to rosewood.  Doesn't mean that all people will react the same way, though.  Calling butternut "really toxic" just people a small percentage of people are allergic to it is like calling peanuts or shellfish really toxic, just because some people are allergic to those things.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

Did you ask him for Hazardous duty pay for sawing his log.  :D

Toolman

I have learned that butternut is in the walnut tree family. I know some people and livestock have allergic reactions to walnut dust. Actually, I get a little light headed if I inhale walnut for an extended period of time. However, I don't get any reaction when I cut butternut. I think it comes down to individual. I cut cedar for a guy a while back and he stayed back while his son pulled boards off mill. This guy would get short of breath after inhaling small amount of cedar aroma. The boards were for his son who could'nt get enough the smell.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Chuck White

beenthere;    Yup, the it is an if.   Good catch.
sometimes my urge to keep on typing overrides my spelling.

Thanks fellas;
I guess your inputs pretty well sums things up.
Like I told my friend, you can get a headache by getting a strong whiff of almost any fine sawdust.

Thanks for the inputs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Sitting here by my butternut desk enjoying the aroma.  Then it's my night stand at night , which is also butternut. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

The only problem I've had with butternut is not being able to find enough of it!  Nice wood, saws well, works well when dry.  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

raycon

What I remember of butternut besides it being light weight is it was used a dye and as a part of a laxative concoction or something similar. A division of the confederate army obtained the color of their uniform from a butternut dye. 
Lot of stuff..

thecfarm

I sawed one into fire wood a couple years ago.That was a nice looking tree,but in the way to see the field.I have 2 more to cut down.They are dying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I sawed a couple of butternut logs a while back, didn't notice anything bad about the dust.

Black locust on the other hand gives me heartburn and leaves a taste in my mouth that reminds me of a combination of pepperoncini peppers and green olives.  ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Your not suppose to eat the stuff Dave.  :D :D

WH_Conley

Gives the term "fiber in your diet" a whole new meaning. ;D
Bill

Toolman

Sprinkle some of that on your pizza :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Dave Shepard

I knew someone was gonna say that. ;)  :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!