iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what would yall charge?

Started by wlf89, August 10, 2016, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlf89

i just got done sawing 75 pine logs 16ft long for a log cabin for a guy. i normally charge by the bft but cant do that on these since i just took off 2 slabs off each log and left 2 natural edges. im in Tn and he supplied the logs. what would yall charge if it where you doing it?

WV Sawmiller

What did you discuss with him up front? That is what you are obligated to charge IMO.

If you did not discuss up front what is he offering? If he tells you to set the price and I interpret this as the client's logs and you provided the sawing service. If I had done that I would have charged my hourly rate ($60/hr) plus my mobilization/mileage charge if I moved the mill to his location. I also have a minimum fee of $300 if I move the mill. If he brought the logs to my house no minimum, just the hourly rate.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

You could charge by bf if you wanted to. You might want to change the bf rate.

I charge hourly with a minimum number of hours increasing with distance, plus a mileage rate for all miles driven.  I'm 100% portable with no employees and depend on the customer for material handling which s/he usually willingly does to get more for the money paid.

If one has enough experience judging the situation and can guess well about how long a job will take, a fixed rate or volume rate works well often to your advantage.  But I find it takes too much discussion and setting of expectations to pull this off, and I've stuck to hourly.

For swing milling and chain slabbing I've done well with log scale or square foot area sawn charging, respectively, but this takes clear setting of expectations about material handling, accessibility and log size and readiness.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

derhntr

Standard $75 a hour for me and the mill and $85 with helper
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

losttheplot

Decide how many BDFT you would normally saw in an hour.

Times that by your BDFT rate.

use this as a base for your hourly charge.

Add or subtract for how badly you want to do certain things for certain people.  :) :)

LTP.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

killamplanes

Hourly plus any transportation or additional equipment or manpower outside of u and mill
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!