iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Nomenclature

Started by Tom Posch, December 14, 2018, 06:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Posch

What does 4* or 9* blade refer to?  I need to order blades and know nothing about them.  I am going to be cutting oak. 

terrifictimbersllc

It is the angle, from vertical, of the face  of the tooth.  4 degrees is 4 degrees from vertical.  9 degrees is 9 degrees from vertical. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

And when you are typing a reply, look at the line of "tools" above that Jeff has provided.  Now look left of the ¼ and click on the DEG°.  The ° symbol magically appears wherever your cursor is blinking.   ;)   All of those other tools do stuff too.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana Stanley

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Tom Posch

I have a handle on that now, thanks.  What angle tooth do I want and does it make a big difference"  I also see "double hard".  What does that mean?  

Southside

What are you running for an engine?  Yes angle / profile makes a world of difference. Double Hard is a trade name that Wood Mizer uses for the line of "standard use" bands, very good quality, I use them for most everything including White Oak and Hickory.  The Bi-Metals do stay sharp longer, but they hurt more in the pocket book when you hit metal or otherwise damage one so unless you are 100% sure on your logs you will be money ahead in the long run with Double Hard bands.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom Posch

I have a Linn 1900 (36").  It has a new 18 HP Briggs on it.  

Southside

Then I would suggest 4° bands based on your HP and sawing oak.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!