iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samm

Wow!
I'm still not convinced that is a model.  Well done on the eye height in pic1.
Keep your stick on the Ice!

Darrel

What really got me to take a second look was no snow and the wrong trees.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

RPF2509

So LJ  when you go to build the stair for real are you going to use composite or real wood?  Trying to get opinions on a stair I am going to build.  It will be boxed in (stringers covered by a wall) so appearance is not an issue but strength / cost is.

Magicman

You had me scratching my head  smiley_headscratch and saying "what" ?  That will also be a treasure.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: RPF2509 on January 30, 2017, 03:47:29 PM
So LJ  when you go to build the stair for real are you going to use composite or real wood?  Trying to get opinions on a stair I am going to build.  It will be boxed in (stringers covered by a wall) so appearance is not an issue but strength / cost is.

The stairs are to scale, but not the wood (cedar).  I will be using pine.  The stringers will be 3x12 and the treads 2x12 all full dimension.  I do have some oak but it's not big.  Maybe I can get some treads out of it.  For the main floor stairs, there will be risers and walls so as to keep the cold basement cold.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Update 1/31/2017:

Put up the 5 bents and milled all the braces.  They are going up tonight.  A quick count says I need 114, I cut 164.

In making my plans, I did my best to minimize the different lengths of braces.  I only have 4 sizes and only 4 of one particular size and 20 of another.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

Just some people have more time on their hands then what they know what to do. :D

So, that is what you northern folks do in your spare time in the winter months. :D Guess, I would do the same. ;D Back in my boat building days, I used to build to scale models first. They were are my Dads and all lost from Katrina. :(

Magicman

You are messing with my head.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Y'all better get some sort of decking on that floor before you kill yourself!   8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
1992 LT40HD

samm

Again with the camera angle.. excellent. I'm still not convinced that is not real. My head is spinning. :)
Keep your stick on the Ice!

flyingparks

Just stumbled upon this feed. Thank you so much for sharing. I am starting my own build in a month and will put it on the forum. But a model? Wasn't planning on doing that!  :snowball:

alanh

Oh my.... I was convinced the last pics were the real thing...my neighbor is a boat builder and does models first. He even tests them by towing them with a fish scale behind a small boat measuring speed and resistance. I think his last one sunk during testing so that design probably got trashed.

Ljohnsaw

Update: 2/7/2017

Ok, more to mess with your mind.  I spent a few more evenings and the rain stopped enough today so I could get a few pictures.

I think I will stop here with the flooring.  The back corner will be completed and then a gradual peeling back of the layers until the bare frame is exposed on the front half.  There will be the walls defining the bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen.  The loft will be competed.
John Sawicky

Darrel

Glad to see that decking going on. You'll be safer.
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

So, what size crane you used to lift those timbers. ;D

ChugiakTinkerer

Something tells me ljohnsaw is an old-school craftsman.  I bet it was a gin pole.   ;D
Woodland Mills HM130

nativewolf

I was really expecting to see the floor pegged or was it supposed to be radiant floor heat? Where is the radiant floor tubing?  you put the decking down before putting the slab down for the radiant heat?  Rip all that up, put the tubes down, cement it properly, the put the decking back, you'll have to free float it maybe. 

Now then you need some better flooring, you'll need some quarter saw WO with walnut basketweave corners.   :D

Hey it's your own fault for making such a nice model
Liking Walnut

Ljohnsaw

Update: 2/10/2107

It has been raining A LOT here so not much else to do but work on the model.  The "frame" is complete.

This is looking at the west wall, bedroom on the left, bathroom (the alcove is where the shower will be) then kitchen area where the unfinished floor is.

Other bedroom

Looking at the east wall.   There will be walls on both sides of the stair to close off the basement staircase.

Looking at the south wall

Looking through the front door - you can see through the bedroom doorway and out the window

John Sawicky

Darrel

Almost looks like you could live there.
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

:o  That is totally amazing.   smiley_thumbsup

Ljohnsaw

Update 2/12/2017:

Went up yesterday to drop my son at a Boy Scout winter campout.  Swung by my cabin build.  The guy clearing some roads said the 13" of rain that came down last Wednesday and Thursday compressed/melted the 10' of snow down to 6 or 7' that it is now.  Here is the road heading toward my turnoff:

The easement up to my cabin:

Closeup for scale:

My log arch is almost gone!

SkyTrak is stuck for the time being:

My mill won't be seeing daylight for some time - the mill head stands over 8' above the ground:

The doorway is 8' high:

Garage door is 8'8" high, walls are 10':

The "bodies" buried are my timber stacks from November:

But made this for fun!

John Sawicky

Darrel

Here in southern Oregon, the snow is mostly gone. Now we're dealing with the mud.
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Hit 83F here yesterday. :( Send some of that white dust here. ;D

Ljohnsaw

Update 3/5/2017:

We've been getting snow off and on over the last week at my property at 5,800' elevation.  The snow today (very light) is all the way down to 2,000'.  My neighbors were having a snow play day on Saturday but we couldn't make it up - good thing!  There was a foot or so dumped on Saturday and I-80 was closed overnight.  The road opened up for a little while in the afternoon but my neighbors were stuck with an unplowed mile long road to the freeway.  The contracted snow removal guy showed up with this nice toy:

He was installing some better chains so he could continue up the grade toward the camera.  Fresh snow sure is prudy!  I-80 was closed again due to white out conditions :-\
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 4/28/2017:

My last trip up was February 11th when I was dropping my son off at snow camp.  Well, today I was dropping him off at a Camp-o-ree at a lower elevation.  I decided to take the circular route home and stop by the property to see how much snow has melted.  The weather forecast was saying it has been mostly warm (40's and 50's) with some rain and occasionally a little, very wet snow.

Well, here is what I found this evening:

My backhoe is starting to peak out from under the snow.  A little over 4 feet of snow here.

And my 6 foot tall log arch.  So probably 3 feet of snow left there.

Not much change to my sawmill.

The driveway - interesting how the wind made the drifts and how the heat radiated from the warmed trees to melt the snow.

Still a lot of snow in the basement!  Probably 4 feet.

Looking down the west wall.  At least 4 feet here.

Looking down the east wall.

Here is a neighbor's house - how not to slope the roof to cover your front porch/entry...

The local (non-working) firetruck.  Back on Feb 11 the shot looking up my easement, the firetruck is under the snow bank on the right side.

The drift at the bottom of my access road on the main road.

A look up the main road (looking west).

My friend's property is just up the road and the "sledding hill" on the back is on a south slope.  It is almost completely bare - can't sled there anymore.

In the past nearly 3 months, about 2 to 3 feet of snow has melted depending on the sun exposure and proximity to sun-warmed objects.  I am probably on track to start working again about the 4th of July ::)
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!