iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt40 hydraulics

Started by Mcwhorter111, February 28, 2017, 07:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcwhorter111

I have an LT40 hydraulic that is stationary, inside, and electric powered. I would like to power my hydraulic motor with 120v power since I have it right next to the mill. My question is; Does anyone know what 120v to 12vdc converter I would need to power it? Thanks

KirkD

When I bought my LT40 it was electric and the previous owner used a 110 to 12v RV inverter like they use in motorhomes to run all the DC stuff on it.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

pineywoods

McW, what you are asking can be done, but there are much better ways to have 120 volt hydraulic power, and at considerable less cost..In the simplest terms, disconnect the 2 hoses from your pump/tank and run them to an external tank and pump powered by a standard electric motor. Several guys on here have done that, including me. One farmer type ran the hoses over to a hydraulic outlet on his farm tractor. The 12 volt pump motor on woodmizers has a short service life compared to the rest of the mill, it's a close cousin to a ford truck starter...A cheap 3 gpm gear pump, a small oil tank,  and a 2 or 3 hp 120 volt motor is all you need. Hydraulic power at the flick of a switch, no need to have the saw head in any particular spot..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

I wouldnt bother with a converter but rather I would(and did) build a pineywoods hydraulic pump for it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html

I built the pump and reservoir and hosed it to my mill. boosted the speed too. I think it is as fast as the newer super 40 we have. I think the pump and motor plus coupler cost less than $350.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MartyParsons

Hello,

QuoteThe 12 volt pump motor on woodmizers has a short service life, it's a close cousin to a ford truck starter..

Describe short service life.

I just cant imagine working as a portable sawmill and having a auxiliary hydraulic pump system with another engine in the back of a truck, tractor running, or some other contraption to get the job done.

Yes the motors do require maintenance at 850 hours but that is a lot of sawing. You can push the motors a little more but it would be a pay me now or pay me later deal. 

I do agree that if I was using a mill hydraulics that was stationary and was a full time operation with employees,  I would use an axu hydraulic source and increase to 6 or 8
gpm.  If it was a hobby operation I would purchase a 12volt battery tender and keep it maintained while not in use and do the maintenance on the 12 volt motors when needed.
If you are looking to run the hydraulics with the saw head at any location there are some other options available.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kbeitz

If you really want to go the converter way then it's not a converter that
your looking for but a DC power supply. Find out what amps you'r Dc
motor pulls and buy a DC power supply big enough to handle it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Re; short service life comment...Agreed they do last a good while, I was thinking relative to everything else on an lt40. Most of the sawyers I deal with tend to just run it till something breaks, then fix what broke. In most cases the first thing to quit is the 12 volt motor in the hydraulic box, and that should go 1000 hrs plus..Lest I give the impression that this is a design problem,,NO WAY...If you run portable, there's no better way to have hydraulics anywhere, any time..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Rougespear

In a stationary setup, I would without a doubt do what pineywoods suggested: a 3-4gpm pump with a 2-3hp motor would be great.  If you can deal with slower cycle times, then match a suitable size pump to a 1 hp electric motor, and run the thing off of 110v (which is likely going to be close to many sawing sites).

In a portable situation, I think there are 3 options: 12v (charged by mill engine), direct-coupled pump to mill engine (with supply + return line in an energy chain or overhead cable), and a second motor on the saw deck to power hydraulics.  All have their benefits and drawbacks.  IMO, a second motor on the deck is cheap, fool-proof, and very long lasting.  The ideal I feel is to have a pump direct-coupled to the main engine - less oil changes, and really robs very little hp from the cut. 
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Brucer

Just a few hours shy of 2500 on my LT-40 (at the rate things are going I may never get there :D). I changed the hydraulic motor brushes at 2170 hours (I checked them every 750 hours as per the manual).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sparks

The standard hydraulic pulls 200 amps and the super mill pulls 400 amps. I do not think you will find a 120VAC to 12VDC converter to handle that kind of load. I stand alone hydraulic power is the way to go.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Kbeitz

On E-bay right now... All you would need to do is rectifie it to DC.
It's only $2,400.00

MTE 3 phase reactor RL040022B1 400 amps 50/60 HZ New in box

Or this should work with no mods.

Aker Wade Twinmax 30, Fast Charger 500 Amps 6-40 Cells W/Stand V.G.C!!!

Only $3500.00
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

I have built 3 external hydraulic systems. First one is 1700 rpm 1 hp motor and 3 gpm pump. Works ok but a bit slow..#2 is 2hp 3600 rpm motor and a 2 stage log splitter pump..Too much pump, had to disable the hi-flow section. #3 is 3 hp 3600 rpm motor and 4gpm pump, just about ideal...All 3 on older manual LT40's with homemade hydraulics. A tank that holds a gallon is adequate...Motor, tank, and a few hoses and you are in business...

paul case

Pineywoods way has got to be the most inexpensive way to do it. If you want to maintain possibility of using your 12v pump just take the fuse out and put in some swivels or quick couplers on the hoses to the valves and it would be a 15 minute change over.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!