iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

550xp

Started by BalsamBandit, February 17, 2017, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalsamBandit

my buddy is looking for a small saw for his crew, to run in situations that would be overkill for the 372. i suggested the 550 because i believe they don't produce the 357 anymore what do you guys think of this saw, or is there another saw/size that you would suggest. thanks for any info

FYRWOOD GUY

i would suggest a 555,as you wanted some thing similar to the 357XP. the 550XP runs .325 whereas the 357 & 555 run 3/8 pitch chain and have the same small mount bars.
keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

Riwaka

The latest Stihl MS362C that makes an XP550 look like a toy.(static display model) for not a lot of weight extra, forget about the dollar signs.

I have a less than a year old XP550 that is a shed ornament. If anyone knows how or can suggest how to start and run a Husqy xp550 in 28 Celsius and 85% humidity on 98 RON gasoline - Husqy synth oil I would be most appreciative.

If a Husqy .325 chain comes off the narrow gauge bar the chain catcher can damage the narrow drive links. Stihl semi-chsel 3/8 with wider bar gauge is better for my conditions.

External clutches are a pox.

ButchC

There were some issues with the first 550s that should be sorted by your dealer if you have one of those. Past that I had same problems with starting from cold until my dealer convinced me to follow the starting instructions instead of trying to start it like my older saws.  Basically you must use the primer bulb at least 10 times, it won't flood the saw. Then push the decompression and choke it then pull 5 times, then take the choke off no matter if it pops or not. When it starts leave it on high idle for a few seconds instead of kicking it off immediately.  Once warm o have never had to pull mine more than once to start it.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Riwaka on February 22, 2017, 04:22:45 PM
The latest Stihl MS362C that makes an XP550 look like a toy.

If anyone knows how or can suggest how to start and run a Husqy xp550 in 28 Celsius and 85% humidity .
The 362 is 60cc and the 550 is 50cc displacement.
What do you expect :D

If your chain is routinely kept sharp and you did a muffler mod to help relieve more engine heat and still have hot start issues. Then use the fast idle setting more often.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

FYRWOOD GUY

SPOT ON, WILLARD  ;D
keep your SHARP chain tight don't force a dull chain to cut

Thank You Sponsors!