iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickrey Logs

Started by J_T, May 01, 2002, 08:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_T

Got me some Hickrey Logs last night.Small twister came over about the time I loged on last night.Two big trees fell missed most every thing imporent, had to cut a lot of thee tree tops to get out of driveway. Wife and I rode around and helped several folks cut trees and limbs off their house and yards. Will cut rest of mine up when I find my round tuit or get caught up from helping some of the older folks with health problems and no saws.Hope every one else out there had good luck.
Jim Holloway

Jeff

Jim I had sawed some logs that were twister felled a few years ago. They wernt only twisted on the outside they was twisted on the insides to. At least in this case, the force that is great enough to take em out of the ground is great enough to seperate the fiber.

It was as if every growth ring seperated. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

J_T

Thanke Jeff did not know that.If I can get my cam.to work I will take pictures of my back yard. I may trade some of the bad for Bar BEQ maybe I can eat my way out of this mess!
Jim Holloway

Ron Wenrich

We had a small tornado touch down about 4 miles from me.  It blew down 3 barns and a couple of houses.  Only a category 1.  The strange part was that there was very little wind in my area.  Tornados are very rare in this area.

They had a huge cluster that hit NW Pa about 25 years ago.  I saw the area, and it was 1 mile wide where it went through.  It took out a 30 mile swath of state forests.  They did salvage operations to reclaim what they could.  Most went to chips.

Have fun with the hickory logs.  I just went through 15 Mbf of the stufff.  That stuff is awful hard.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

L. Wakefield

QuoteJim I had sawed some logs that were twister felled a few years ago. They wernt only twisted on the outside they was twisted on the insides to. At least in this case, the force that is great enough to take em out of the ground is great enough to seperate the fiber.

It was as if every growth ring seperated.

Whee-ooo what a story! I KNOW I never heard that before. You should get pictures or tell them so they put it in with the other kewl stuff about tornadoes on the weather channel. That is one of the most verbally graphic telltales of the shear force involved that I have ever come across. More explicit by far than that old example of straw being blasted through a board. I mean- THINK of the force that can grip a tree hard enough not only to twist it out of the ground but twist it on itself. Disrupt the cell connections and all that. Reminds me of the graphics for how bullets do their damage- that cone of shock wave and shear.    lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!