iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by vailvalley59, June 01, 2017, 07:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vailvalley59

Hello --I am new here--I am setting up a Frick 01 mill on my farm.  I had a mill 20 years ago but it was a Belsaw and I have forgotten half of what I  knew then.
All of my contacts are dead or in jail and I have to make new ones.  I hear that circle mills are dead but I sure love to hear them run.  I am getting too old to wait on the small band saws to cut their one board before lunchtime.

I would appreciate any link to setting up my Frick and any old paper sources for adjustment etc.  Thanks and I know I will have questions as I go along.

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum 8)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

coxy

no help here  but welcome to the FF

TKehl

Welcome! 

You will probably get more responses in the sawmill section here:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,7.0.html

The majority of the talk is band mills, but there are several members with circle mills, experience, and expertise.

Here's a great place to start and a Frick as well:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58233.0.html
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

samandothers

Welcome to the forum!

paul case

Welcome to the forum.

Hey we get a little more than one board before lunch time, like 2 boards!!!! ;D :D :) ;)

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

derhntr

Welcome to FF. No help from me on setting up your mill. Good luck and be safe
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Vailvalley59.  I always enjoyed watching circular mills run. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dgdrls

Welcome Vailvalley59,

Circles are far from dead, 
Number of folks here who run them in one form or another.

Don't be a stranger and lets see that 01!!

best
D

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

bandmiller2

Welcome VV59, theirs enough in this forum's history to keep you reading until snow flies. Some generalities, if the mill is set up now take many photos and measurements especially around the husk. If its a pile of parts its a little harder to figure it out. Do you have an engine, preferably a diesel or a large diesel farm tractor. Is the carriage steel or wood, if wood save the old pieces to use as patterns. The most important part of a circular mill is its foundation if its not stable everything else will be for not. Before I set up my first mill I visited as many local mills as possible and watched their operation. I learned something from each mill I watched,  even if it was what not to do. Please tell us more about your mill and plans. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

vailvalley59

Thanks for the comments--the mill is not all at my farm yet--the carriage is 14 feet and wood based--the  engine is here--a MM 403 gas power plant that was most likely sold with the mill in the 50's.   I don't know how long it has been since it was running but when I got the mag to make spark, it started right up and sounds fine.   I have several tractors that could run the mill but since the MM seems in fine shape and has all the pulleys on it , I will hook it up to start out.   I know it will use some gas but it is a long stroke engine and should have good torque.   Hope to get the rest of the base units home soon-they are mounted on some sort of a home made steel frame that was at one time portable.  This may make a very good base when mounted on a concrete base.   I thought of using a blower for sawdust and running it with an electric motor so I could operate it without running the blade.   What size tubing should be used in the system?  I had 6" pipe in the old mill and it seemed to work out OK.    Mill came with a 48" blade that has been cut down from 52"--I have had to replace 14 shanks with new ones as the old ones were cracked--I am sure this will cause the tension to be way off but I won't know that for some time.  Thanks again for future help.

sealark37

Welcome aboard.  There are plenty of circle guys around here.  Keep us advised of your progress.  We do love pictures.  Regards, Clark

Darrel

Welcome Vailvalley59!

I run a band mill, and say what you will about the advantages of band vs circle, at the end of the day, the band mill is missing something that it will never have when you compare it to the circle mill. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I think it's in the area of coolness. If you are building something with rough lumber, siding for example, I'd much rather see saw marks going in a nice arc across the board not in a straight line. Then if you're just going to watch the saw cut wood, it's way more fun to watch a circle mill.

My $0.02 worth of Bologna!  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome
Lots of good info here as well as a bunch good of fellows and girls as you can meet.
I am a band guy out of necessity
MM Minneapolis Moline?
Also on another forum somewhere there is a guy  i think called the saw doc who tunes circle blades.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TheRidginian

Can't wait to see you set it up.  I hope you will at least start with the old Moline powerplant.  A 403 makes my favorite kind of noise.  6" of stroke makes a bit of torque too.  And gas is cheap now !  :)
I hope it all comes together (with pictures, of course!)

bandmiller2

VV-50, you have had circular mills before that makes it much easier as being a sawyer is like riding a bike it will come back quickly. You are wise to run as many of the auxiliaries with electric saving the engines power to spin the wheel. Its good form with a new mill setup and saw to have it hammered before you start that removes a lot of the variables. Keep us in the loop. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

BigZ La

Welcome to the forum.

Thank You Sponsors!