iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse 450 winch manual and more..

Started by kusky, March 18, 2012, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kusky

I made the two and a half hour (one way) drive to upstate New Hampshire yesterday and picked up a Norse 450 logging winch from Labonville.  By the time I got there it was almost closing time as they are only open until noon on Saturday. It was a bit of a rush to load up a unit and pick up a couple other items and hit the road back home.  Today I opened the package attached to the PTO and it held only info on the shaft.  I have no manual or any other paperwork on the 450 itself.  I think they did not give me everything I should have gotten.  Can anyone tell me if I should have gotten a manual or something?  I didn't get any pins for the lower attachment points which need a step pin as the diameter for the outside hole is 1 1/8"(I think?) and the inside hole is 7/8"(?).  I tried to rig up some some pins with sleeves and so on but what a mess so far, I have to much slop and need a shorter pin and a few oversized washers and... nightmarish. 

Nice people at Labonville's in Gorham, NH.  I am wondering if I didn't get all my stuff??  Anyone have a manual for a Norse 450?  Can anyone tell me what they got with their 450 for pins? 

Thanks

thecfarm

I bought the same one back in '93. I can not remember about the manual. I do have an exploded parts list for mine. Probaly all different by now. You should of got the pins to hook up to your hyd arms,if that's what you mean.

I did find the link for the parts break down. I have no idea if it's for your year or not.
http://www.labonville.com/Winches/default.htm
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kusky

Thanks cfarm.  I sent and email to them yesterday as they are closed on Sunday.   Yep, pins to hook up the arms.  My pop came over to check out the unit and told me I should have as well.  He's a Farmi winch man but liked the rugged looks of the Norse.  We'll see what they say at Labonville today.  I am guessing I didn't get a box or bag that should have manuals and the pins in it... ???

thecfarm

They should mail them to you,but than you'll have to sit there and look at that nice new shiny winch and wish you had the right pins to make it work. When we brought the Ford tractor,they was a dealer for Norse too at that time. We did not really know about Labonville at that time. Can't remember when a store was built here.
I have 5 slides on mine. I just haul out small stuff with mine now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kusky

Labonville called me today and it appears I was suppose to have also received a box with the winch which includes manual and pins.  They told me that they would send it out to me tomorrow.  So I wait. I washed two cars and the truck this afternoon to keep busy.   smile_juggle

kusky

Follow up...  Labonville got me the manuals and pins the next day via UPS.  Kudos to the folks at Labonville.  Within a short time after UPS had left the winch was pinned to the tractor and I started working on trying to get the correct length to make the PTO shaft, looks like I will need to shorten the one I have.  Last night I read through the owners manual/safety info and filled out the registration sheet to send to Norway!

oldbones

I'm curious why you chose a Norse instead of Farmi, Wallenstein, etc.

kusky

Quote from: oldbones on March 23, 2012, 12:38:06 AM
I'm curious why you chose a Norse instead of Farmi, Wallenstein, etc.

Well... I was sold on Farmi and wanted a new unit.  The lowest price around was $5,000.00 for one.  I know a guy in town that has a Norse that he bought new 12 years ago and loves it. He works it often and has hundreds of cords pulled out by it with only a couple of minor adjustments and basic care to it over that time.  So when I found Labonville was the closet dealer/distributor I checked pricing and found it is about $300 cheaper than the 501 Farmi, comes with the three slider the Farmi comes with and also comes with three choker chains (at $40 each) included in the price.  I called and they also deliver in New England for free ( included in price).  I asked what they would do if I came to pick up himself and they gave me 10% off the price.  So now I am at almost $800 less than a comparable Farmi.  Yes I know the Farmi is solid and has a little better listed pulling rating (about a 1000 lbs.) I am not concerned.  So I figure I am getting a winch properly sized for my tractor (52 hp Kubota) at almost $1000 cheaper than the 501 Farmi.  That's pretty much why. I can let you know how it works here shortly.  Been waiting for the mud to dry up and a free weekend to get out and run it in a bit.  I expect it to be fine.

Hermio

Now that you have had your Norse 450 winch for a couple of years, how do you feel about it?

thecfarm

kusky,has not been active since Jan 2013.
Mine Norse 450 has served me well. Or I should say us. When my father was alive we was cutting wood on the land I have now. We worked the winch in the woods for 3 years. Worked it hard for those 3 years. Pine 3 feet across was normal and sometimes even bigger. We liked it better because of the higher pulley height,butt plate pivots and had boxes for the chocker chains. I forgot the price difference,if there was one. This was back in '93. The winch lives a life of ease with just firewood for me.

Thank You Sponsors!