iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battery powered Stihl?

Started by ljmathias, November 12, 2017, 10:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

ljmathias

Update again: shoulder getting some better but oh, so slow! Anyway, still cutting firewood with the battery powered Stihl and no matter how much I use it, battery life isn't getting any longer. Hanging in there for maybe 20 minutes of continuous use. For me that works- enough firewood to fill the bucket on the backhoe, then back to the barn to plug in the battery and to the house to dump fire wood. And THEN I have a great excuse to go in and have a cup of coffee. Maybe I should be thanking Stihl for limited battery use...

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bdsmith

LJ: you may need to consider surgery. My sister had it once on each shoulder and recovered each time within 2 months.
I tore my rotator cuff about 5 years ago. I went to the PT for some exercises and a massage.  I came home in agony and couldn't move it for 3 days.  Never went back.
It took 2 years to heal completely because I re-injured it about 4 times in the first year by testing it too soon.

ljmathias

Thanks, BD but the doctor recommended against it. Said that where the tear was (he could see it on a new high resolution ultrasound they have now) operation would do more damage and take even longer to heal. Sure, it's coming back slow but slow is okay at my age- worked out at the Y this morning and managed to add weight on the machines that I had real trouble with right after the tear. Took it slow and careful and came home feeling good for a change. Sure, it aches a lot and I can't roll onto my side or front at night sleeping, but hey, it IS getting better. Problem is, it will just about be healed when I'm too old to know or care- turned 69 couple of days ago and celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary the same day. Life is great!

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

HolmenTree

About 10 years ago I dropped a heavy log on my left shoulder. Doctor x-rayed it and said nothing broke.

I finally got a MRI last year on it and the new doc says I have a 1"×1" tear in my supra sponatus and a 1/2"×3/8" tear in my teress minor muscles.
He didn't recommend surgery as he took notice that I'm nearing 60 years old and still working physical labor for a living.
Only if the pain continues and is unbearable should I go for the surgery he said.
So after doing exercises for those muscle groups with a rubber hose exerciser I am pretty well pain free and can now comfortably sleep on that shoulder.
It funny when someone explains how those injured muscles move your arm and then instruct how to make them stronger. Sure made a world of difference.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

cedarquist treefarm

I have had a battery powered Stihl for two seasons and appreciate it for many jobs.
I have a small Christmas tree plot and offer to cut them for customers.
In the past I had to  put earplugs in and worry about the kids running around when I couldn't hear.
I also take it to the woodlot and use it to trim branches until the battery runs out.
Then I don earplugs and start my gas saws.
I also use the battery in a blower and a weed trimmer
I want to get a pole saw that uses the battery at some point...
Cheers
Scott

Kbeitz

I use an electric 115 volt chainsaw. I have a slip on generator that slides in
the frame of my garden tractor and it has a 50ft auto rewind cord on it.
So anywhere I can take my little tractor I have an electric saw.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ljmathias

Wow, Kbeitz, that's some set up. Problem still is getting extension cord wrapped up in limbs and such.

As to my rotater cuff tear, very slowly getting better. And I do mean slowly. Been months now and still can't roll over during the night or flex it the wrong way. Good news is I can now reach behind my back some and soap my left armpit (TMI?) just barely. Also gradually building back weight on the machines at the Y. Best advice I had from the doctor was to CAREFULLY do strength building exercises. Range of motion is crucial at first but then you have to put muscle back on, and for an older person, that ain't easy and takes time. I keep remembering the tortoise vs the hare race: I may be slow but I'm sure not fast...

The other good news is I can start my regular Stihls again. The battery powered one goes along for trimming when I'm tired of the noise or have to reach high- if it drops or slips out of my hand, it stops, unlike the gas powered one. But then, who ever plans on dropping a running chainsaw?

LJ

bdsmith

ljmathias,
Cold packs are your arm's best friend. 
A bit of careful exercise followed by 10 minutes of cold will help the blood flow and reduce inflammation.

Thank You Sponsors!