iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things That I have Learned Sawmilling

Started by WDH, April 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

#1).  Don't wear pants with cuffs at the sawmill.  When you lay down on the couch for just a minute at lunch to rest-your-eyes, there is a sawdust extraction and a spousal explosion.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

goose63

You are lucky if that's all you get this my wife  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

woodyone.john

Danny, I have a dim awareness of that which you speak of. To speak more of this may be collusion!
john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

thecfarm

I have a pair of pants and a shirt out in the garage when it is warm. I change out there. I have learned. When it's cold I have clothes just inside that I change into.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Wahl

My dear sweet wife wants to know how I get so much sawdust in our bed even after a bath and change of clothes.
As a matter of fact, so do I. ::)
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Jeff

I've found out its not a friendly reception when you come in after running the chainsaw and pull off your rubber farmer boots that were pulled on over your pant legs. That creates quiet the sawdust out put as well. :)  Ive been creating quite a pile of wood and dust lately.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LittleJohn

Quote from: Jeff on April 16, 2014, 03:39:15 PM
I've found out its not a friendly reception when you come in after running the chainsaw and pull off your rubber farmer boots that were pulled on over your pant legs. That creates quiet the sawdust out put as well...

I find it even more annoying is the stupid sawdust that finds its way into the bottom of your rubber farm boot, while working, makes each step a littel crunchier

Jeff

Yup, every once in awhile ya have to find some place to balance yerself so you can pull em off and dump em without getting you socks soggy.  The trouble still is far outweighed by the ease of just waling up to those boots and stepping into them and going out to do what ever it is needs done.  I love my farmer boots no matter how I look going to the the store with mamma. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LittleJohn

I love my rubber boots for the nightly walk down the drive way to get the mail, and play in the mud a bit to get the water to drain of the driveway!  and here in MN they are predicting areas of up to 6" of snow tonight  :(, after tax day that is just unfair

Chuck White

If you wear your boots with your pants legs tucked in them, you might want to try a pair of gaiters.

They will go over the tops of the boots and sawdust won't be able to get into the boots!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on April 16, 2014, 03:02:22 PM
My dear sweet wife wants to know how I get so much sawdust in our bed even after a bath and change of clothes.
As a matter of fact, so do I. ::)

Are you wanting us to try to figure it out for you?   ;D  or    :-X :-X
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Danny...wear shorts like I do.  ;D
But then, you'll probably beat your legs all to pieces......like I do.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

47sawdust

My handle is Sawdust and it seems to end up everywhere I go,Splinters too.
My wife is a champ but she's not so pleased about splinters in the sheets.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

jmouton

1 thing i have learned is that you dont wear  jeans  with any holes in them ,  your boots  seem to fill up pretty quick  with sawdust   ,,  not fun,  then my girlfriend yells across the  house about the sawdust coming out of the drier , cuz washing them doesnt get all of it out , 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

drobertson

that is too funny, well maybe just a lil bit.  Just this morning I check my jeans, after sawing til 11, man they were covered, right by the bed, glad I got to them before she saw them ;D   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

I seem to always fill the pouch on the front of my hoody sweatshirt when running the chainsaw. Then forget about it until I throw it over my head taking it off and spraying sawdust all over.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

When I step up to the cash register and pull out a handful of sawdust and change, I feel funny putting it back in my pocket but don't want to dump it on their floor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I've done that way too many times. :D Makes me feel even more like a traveling dirt heap than I normally do.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 16, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
When I step up to the cash register and pull out a handful of sawdust and change, I feel funny putting it back in my pocket but don't want to dump it on their floor. Frank C.

I have done that too. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

#2.  When you suspect that the band is dull, it is way dull, and on the very next cut, you will have a wavy board.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

#3,you have checked the log stops for days and weeks and the stops are always lower then the cut. The one time you fail to check the log stops,they are too high.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Quote from: WDH on April 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM
#1).  Don't wear pants with cuffs at the sawmill.  When you lay down on the couch for just a minute at lunch to rest-your-eyes, there is a sawdust extraction and a spousal explosion.
When I am logging cedar I cut the limbs as high as I can reach with the saw. I end up with two shirt pockets full of sawdust.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Lud

I believe the answer to most of those problems is an airhose for a blowdown. ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

I learned a pretty good one day before yesterday.
#4 When you get some new bands in the mail, check the tooth orientation before trying to make a cut. Some bands come inside-out.
#5 If you put on a fresh band and as soon as it hits the log it jumps off the wheels... DON'T just think it was a fluke and do the exact same thing again. If this happens, resort back to tip number 3.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!