iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things That I have Learned Sawmilling

Started by WDH, April 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

#1).  Don't wear pants with cuffs at the sawmill.  When you lay down on the couch for just a minute at lunch to rest-your-eyes, there is a sawdust extraction and a spousal explosion.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

goose63

You are lucky if that's all you get this my wife  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

woodyone.john

Danny, I have a dim awareness of that which you speak of. To speak more of this may be collusion!
john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

thecfarm

I have a pair of pants and a shirt out in the garage when it is warm. I change out there. I have learned. When it's cold I have clothes just inside that I change into.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Wahl

My dear sweet wife wants to know how I get so much sawdust in our bed even after a bath and change of clothes.
As a matter of fact, so do I. ::)
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Jeff

I've found out its not a friendly reception when you come in after running the chainsaw and pull off your rubber farmer boots that were pulled on over your pant legs. That creates quiet the sawdust out put as well. :)  Ive been creating quite a pile of wood and dust lately.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LittleJohn

Quote from: Jeff on April 16, 2014, 03:39:15 PM
I've found out its not a friendly reception when you come in after running the chainsaw and pull off your rubber farmer boots that were pulled on over your pant legs. That creates quiet the sawdust out put as well...

I find it even more annoying is the stupid sawdust that finds its way into the bottom of your rubber farm boot, while working, makes each step a littel crunchier

Jeff

Yup, every once in awhile ya have to find some place to balance yerself so you can pull em off and dump em without getting you socks soggy.  The trouble still is far outweighed by the ease of just waling up to those boots and stepping into them and going out to do what ever it is needs done.  I love my farmer boots no matter how I look going to the the store with mamma. ;D

LittleJohn

I love my rubber boots for the nightly walk down the drive way to get the mail, and play in the mud a bit to get the water to drain of the driveway!  and here in MN they are predicting areas of up to 6" of snow tonight  :(, after tax day that is just unfair

Chuck White

If you wear your boots with your pants legs tucked in them, you might want to try a pair of gaiters.

They will go over the tops of the boots and sawdust won't be able to get into the boots!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quote from: Jim_Wahl on April 16, 2014, 03:02:22 PM
My dear sweet wife wants to know how I get so much sawdust in our bed even after a bath and change of clothes.
As a matter of fact, so do I. ::)

Are you wanting us to try to figure it out for you?   ;D  or    :-X :-X
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Danny...wear shorts like I do.  ;D
But then, you'll probably beat your legs all to pieces......like I do.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

47sawdust

My handle is Sawdust and it seems to end up everywhere I go,Splinters too.
My wife is a champ but she's not so pleased about splinters in the sheets.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

jmouton

1 thing i have learned is that you dont wear  jeans  with any holes in them ,  your boots  seem to fill up pretty quick  with sawdust   ,,  not fun,  then my girlfriend yells across the  house about the sawdust coming out of the drier , cuz washing them doesnt get all of it out , 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

drobertson

that is too funny, well maybe just a lil bit.  Just this morning I check my jeans, after sawing til 11, man they were covered, right by the bed, glad I got to them before she saw them ;D   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

I seem to always fill the pouch on the front of my hoody sweatshirt when running the chainsaw. Then forget about it until I throw it over my head taking it off and spraying sawdust all over.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

When I step up to the cash register and pull out a handful of sawdust and change, I feel funny putting it back in my pocket but don't want to dump it on their floor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I've done that way too many times. :D Makes me feel even more like a traveling dirt heap than I normally do.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 16, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
When I step up to the cash register and pull out a handful of sawdust and change, I feel funny putting it back in my pocket but don't want to dump it on their floor. Frank C.

I have done that too. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

#2.  When you suspect that the band is dull, it is way dull, and on the very next cut, you will have a wavy board.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

#3,you have checked the log stops for days and weeks and the stops are always lower then the cut. The one time you fail to check the log stops,they are too high.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Quote from: WDH on April 16, 2014, 12:06:15 PM
#1).  Don't wear pants with cuffs at the sawmill.  When you lay down on the couch for just a minute at lunch to rest-your-eyes, there is a sawdust extraction and a spousal explosion.
When I am logging cedar I cut the limbs as high as I can reach with the saw. I end up with two shirt pockets full of sawdust.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Lud

I believe the answer to most of those problems is an airhose for a blowdown. ;) ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

I learned a pretty good one day before yesterday.
#4 When you get some new bands in the mail, check the tooth orientation before trying to make a cut. Some bands come inside-out.
#5 If you put on a fresh band and as soon as it hits the log it jumps off the wheels... DON'T just think it was a fluke and do the exact same thing again. If this happens, resort back to tip number 3.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Never ever leave your truck windows down or your toolbox lid open.

I learned very early on to wear a welders waist apron to keep sawdust out of my pockets and Pat happy.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kczbest

I wouldn't advise washing, waxing, and shampooing the carpets and seats in your Wife's new ride and then parking it with the windows down to dry out in the side yard. An hour or so later you get bored and decide to make a little sawdust. Sawdust+Wind+nice clean ride= Husband in the Doghouse.

Don't ask me how I know this! no_no
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Delawhere Jack

5) Poop flows downhill.
6) Never reach down into a toilet trap.
7) Payday is on Fridays.

Oh wait..... those are things I learned doing plumbing.  ;D

5) Opening that first face on a really nice log is more rewarding than fixing computers for a living.  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on April 16, 2014, 10:50:01 PMfor a living.
What is this "for a living" that you speak of??  ???  Do you mean that folks are actually s'posed to make it.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

If you park your truck where it's getting a good share of sawdust blown on it, don't open your sliding back window at 60mph. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

47sawdust

Nomad,
Opening the sliding rear window is a great way to make you realize just how clever you are.Fortunately I've never done that with a passenger to appreciate the genius driving.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SawyerBrown

6) When you're sawing around a lot of buildings on a windy day, and you think the wind is out of the south, the wind will actually be out of the southwestnortheast.  So just figure on finding dust in your pockets and everything attached to them.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

OneWithWood

7) I have learned that there is an inverse relationship between FAS boards and the amount of 2C boards that seem to sprout up all around the mill.  It seems for every dull boring FAS board I retrieve there are at least 8 useless boards with interesting figure that go into the 'someday' piles that seem to sprout up everywhere and never make it to the scrap pile.
If it weren't for periodically running short of firewood during winter there would be no room in the barn to mill or turn around. ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

#8).  Slab piles grow.  They must put down roots and grow bigger, because suddenly, before you know it, you have a monstrous slab pile glaring at you. 

SawyerBrown

9)  "I'm sure there are no nails in that log ..."  Enough said?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

SawyerBrown

Oh, and the corollary:

9b) The number of nails/screws/insulators/hinges/etc in a pile of logs is inversely proportional to the number of blades in the truck.

thecfarm

#8? change slabs to rocks.  ;D  That is my place.

bandmiller2

Were it not for wives we could all live very happily on a sawdust floor, problem solved. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

#10 Tighten up your shirt collar before raising the chainsaw to notch out a log up on the mill.    Or plan on undressing behind the truck later.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 17, 2014, 08:15:44 AM
Were it not for wives we could all live very happily on a sawdust floor, problem solved. Frank C.

(Mixed with peanut shells)

Magicman

You can vastly increase the "grade" (value) of lumber by using the word "character".

GAB

If Ray could sell his rocks (solid real estate) for $0.25 a pound he would be a multi multi millionaire.
Unfortunately his home would be in a pit instead of on a hill.  The man has rocks.
C'est la vie.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

petefrom bearswamp

I have a good compressor in my shop so blow myself and helper as clean as I can and blow into pockets too.
To add to the safety margin I undress to my underwear in the garage before entering the palace, so as to not make the queen angry.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pineywoods

There is no such thing as a log that contains just 1 nail. Cost me 2 blades yesterday.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

YellowHammer

Don't go eat lunch when burning a slab pile with fire breaks cleared around it when a 20 mph wind kicks up
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LittleJohn

If your mill hasn't tasted metal, you have either never operated it or a LIAR

petefrom bearswamp

Don't you just love the sound metal makes?
The little pings aren't bad but the deeper throated chunks are bad bad bad \.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Delawhere Jack

An 8 penny nail makes the blade go "ZING!".

A 2 1/2" round masonry nail will stop the saw head cold and sounds like a bag full of cats in a chipper.  :o

Cypress Sam

Musket balls cut easy, nails are tougher, Horseshoes are bad, and plow shanks make both sides of the band smooth.
SAM

Dave Shepard

Ceramic insulators are sawmill kryptonite.

WDH

If someone is observing you while you are operating your sawmill, there is a 100% probability that you will do something stupid or bone-headed. 

SawyerBrown

Quote from: WDH on April 17, 2014, 08:35:22 PM
If someone is observing you while you are operating your sawmill, there is a 100% probability that you will do something stupid or bone-headed.

:D :D :D  That's a good one!

Magicman

Problem is sawing experience doesn't help or count.  We do it to ourselves.....again.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 17, 2014, 08:35:22 PM
.......... bone-headed.

:D :D :D I've not heard that in a while.  :D :D :D

GAB

D. Jack:
I have observed that a 1/2" lag bolts affects blade performance.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

tcg

Two lag screws, one large nail and one ceramic insulator with lag all clustered together in one log needless to say so much for that chain.

WDH

If you slam a cedar slab into the back glass of your truck, it will shatter the glass, you will get mad, and you will find a picture of it on the Forestry Forum. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 18, 2014, 09:46:52 PM
If you slam a cedar slab into the back glass of your truck, it will shatter the glass, you will get mad, and you will find a picture of it on the Forestry Forum.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ammonbarnes

Ya I got an earfull when my daughter started pooping wood chips

ammonbarnes

I have been pretty lucky not to hit to much metal but watch your dogs they make fast work of needing a new blade and with my mill the dogs don't get more than the paint peeled off

VictorH

Just because the jeans went through the wash does not mean the pockets are empty of sawdust.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: VictorH on April 19, 2014, 01:19:32 PM
Just because the jeans went through the wash does not mean the pockets are empty of sawdust.
Found that out this morning!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pine

No matter how careful you avoid the dog clamp with the blade the bolts on the bottom of the guide rail will find said dog clamp even if the dog clamp is full retracted/down and stop the guide so that the blade can find the front edge of the guide rail that blade is traveling in.
Lesson: don't leave the guide in or near the cant as you approach the bottom cut when cutting 1" boards.

SawyerBrown

#?: "Off-loading" means different things to different people.  My definition is: You grab the finished piece and do something with it once I push it onto the loader arms, preferably earlier.  Some people think it means grabbing "their" end of the board.  Others think it's only when they can't find anything better to do, like talk on their cell phone or visit with the passer-by.  With others, I'd categorize it more as "off-load watching". 

I guess being raised on a farm, everybody just pitched in and worked ...

hardtailjohn

I haven't learned it only from milling but..... I have learned that if you hold your thumb over the end of your punch or chisel when you're hitting it, it'll keep the end of the punch or chisel from mushrooming over. ;)  However, it doesn't seem to help diminish the noise level.....  :o
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

backwoods sawyer

I have learned that a 288 w long bar is no match for a 44" log when you roll the log over the saw using a cat :o and at that point you wish it was your thumb on the end of the chisle.
I also learned that the for sale section of the forestry forum is a good place to look for a replacement. ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brian C.

I have learned that a hand between a log and a rail when turning a log causes one to say "ouch".

hackberry jake

Something I am currently learning. If you spend $45 on a moisture meter, you are better off just lighting that money on fire. I guess I'll have to fork up 3-4 hundred pretty soon.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on April 16, 2014, 08:54:45 PM
#3,you have checked the log stops for days and weeks and the stops are always lower then the cut. The one time you fail to check the log stops,they are too high.
Ive sawed just one.Smartens you up fast.

SPIKER

Quote from: hardtailjohn on April 20, 2014, 11:16:40 AM
I haven't learned it only from milling but..... I have learned that if you hold your thumb over the end of your punch or chisel when you're hitting it, it'll keep the end of the punch or chisel from mushrooming over. ;)  However, it doesn't seem to help diminish the noise level.....  :o
John

Been there and DONE THAT not by choice however.   Was really interesting looking into the end of my thumb and seeing the white bone sticking out  >:( :o :o smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb smiley_furious   Mine was trying to split the NUT on a SHOCK when swinging at flat 1/2" chisel I bumped the fender just enough with the 24oz ball peen hammer  :-[   Remarkably it barely bled at all, I grabbed the left thumb with my right hand wrapping it around it, with that sick feeling in pit of stomach & knew I messed it up good then though well humm nothing running out and don't hut THAT bad, then I opened up my right hand & took a look & almost fainted, SHOCK is ok when you still need to move somewhere...  :-\ :-X   Still little feeling on that thumb from tip to the nail bed, remarkably never lost the nail!   Still not sure if it was between the Chisel or the Ball joint that I mashed it on.... :embarassed:

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

OneWithWood

#Next.  Every now and then a customer shows up to browse through that someday pile.  They never leave without trading treasure!
One With Wood

Magicman

Quote from: 36 coupe on April 21, 2014, 06:09:19 PMIve sawed just one.Smartens you up fast.
Being smart and staying smart are two different things.   ;D   :D

drobertson

picking logs going down hill with a slow lift truck winds up being chase to the timber.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Jake,

Delmhorst J-2000X  :).  It will work great with your new Nyle Kiln  :).

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on April 21, 2014, 08:36:45 PM
Jake,

Delmhorst J-2000X  :).  It will work great with your new Nyle Kiln  :).
I thought you were a pinless wagner guy?

WDH

I was for checking air dried boards, but with the kiln, I need to use the hammer attachment to get longer pins an inch into the lumber.  Can't do that with the pinless. 

I am bi-metered. 

backwoods sawyer

When worked in production mill we used wagner pin style with a slide hammer in the kilns and the wagner pinless to check random boards on the outfeed of the planner, and random test units, we also had an inline mioster meter with a drop out reject line as well.
The wagner pinless was by far the fastet and easiest to use. it gives a reading as soon as it is set down on a board and can take readings on 100 boards in two min. Took longer to do the paperwork on the test boards then to do the test.
Where the pin style took considerably longer to check a track full coming out of the kiln, we took four readings per unit, four units per cart, and twenty carts long, we had seven double track kilns side by side with three more double track kilns to handle the over run from these. On a hot summer day pulling and checking a freshly pulled kiln charge was a job you was glad to finish up and go to the office with ac to take care of the paperwork.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

OneWithWood

The Lignomat D is a pinless meter for 8/4 material.  I have one and use it for quick checks on stored material.  I have both a Delmorst R2000 with a slide hammer and a Delmhorst J2000.  They all get used.  Guess that makes me tri-metered...
One With Wood

WDH

OWW,

I always knew that there was something unusual about you  :D. 

hackberry jake

Thanks WDH. I almost ordered a $400 wagner pinless. I found a j2000 on craigslist and ordered the slide hammer to go with it.  8)

hackberry jake

Darn... I thought the j2000x was just a j2000 with a slide hammer. The range on the "x" is higher. It goes from 6-60% where the regular one goes from 6-40%. Oh well. I'm sure it'll be heads and tails above el cheapo POS.

WDH

Yep, the X version has a greater range and is well suited for use in a kiln situation.  A number of Forum members have the J-2000.  It will do nicely. 

Thank You Sponsors!