iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's next to add to the list?

Started by Jeff, April 23, 2014, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It has been over a year and a half since my sawmill has been started, let alone ran. It has had the engine and controls tarped and covered and sitting back behind my little barn in that time.  Sunday I was finally able to get to it after the mounds of snow had thawed and the tires and legs were freed from the several inches of ice they had been encased in.

My plan is to get her going, and haul her up to the U.P. so I can start prepping my future cabin logs. (story here)

So, I figured no way was it going to start, sitting that long and I would not be able to get to the battery, which I figured would be frozen and junk, because the sawhead has to be up to access the battery.

I hooked on to the mill and hauled it around front. Just for laughs and giggles, I turned the key on and hit the up switch and low and behold it was alive!  So, I got the sawhead up enough to get the battery cover off, checked the electrolyte levels which were all good, then started a 2 amp charg on it for several hours.  While it was charging, I dumped the old fuel from the tank, rinsed it with a couple ounces of chainsaw gas, dumped that out, and then refilled the tank.  I checked the oil, which looked like new yet, and showed no signs of any condensation from its time sitting idle.  I let the battery charge for about 6 hours. After letting it charge, I hooked up the fuel line, squeezed the primer bulb a few times until I could see gas in the clear in-line filter, pulled the choke, and hit the key.

VROOM! She took right off. I shoved the choke in, and she sat there and idled smoothly for a minute or so before I shut it back down.

Now what?  I have a few things on my list to do before I take it up north, but what might I be missing.

1. Wheel bearings.  The mill has bearing buddies on it. I figure I'll just give them a few pumps. I can't see where I would need to actually tear them apart and repack. or should I?

2. Grease. That's a given. Grease everything that can be greased.
3. Lube. Lube the lift chain and the follow chain.

4. Lube the mast slides.

What else should I be looking for?  I've never had to re-align the lt30 since I got it, but I did notice the last time I used it, sawing cedar boards and leaving a 4X4 that the 4X4 was not perfectly square.  I really have no idea where to start on adjusting the mill.

What about the electrical? Should I be pulling the covers off the switches and doing anything in there? Hopefully you guys can add to my list. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

york

Hand tools and air-i am looking for a good 12volt air compressor for my needs.....albert
Albert

Bill Gaiche

Check tire air pressure. Check belts. Check air filter. Check lights if you have them.  See if bearings in band wheels and guides turn smooth. You may want to run head all the way up and down a few time and the carriage back and forth also. bg

Magicman

I doubt that there is anything seriously out of whack that a few adjustments can not correct. 

I would start by checking the side supports which would insure that the basic bed is square. 

Next, insure that the blade is parallel to the bed using the tool that attaches to the blade.

Then with the blade guide out, the blade should be 1/16" higher on the idle side.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawyer697

Check the inside of the up and down slides or tower, be sure that they are free of any rust. Belt tension to.  Happy sawing
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2014, 09:25:19 AM

Next, insure that the blade is parallel to the bed using the tool that attaches to the blade.

I've never had one of these. Is it something I can do with out or make?

Dave Shepard

The tool Magicman mentions is the LTBGAT, which is just a piece of 1/8"x1" aluminum with a neat little clip to hold it to the blade. You can get a 2' or 3' piece of Al at the hardware store and use a rubber band to hold it in place.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Why can't you measure to the blade?

Bandmill Bandit

Open the electrical control box and use a bit of the di-electric grease in the little container that should be inside to lube the drum switches.

I like to use a non sticky spray lubricant on the throttle linkages after my mill has sat for a couple of months even with the engine covered.

If it has been sitting long enough that the mast and glide pads would clean easily with hot water and soap from a pressure washer I'd wash that out real good and switch to a  graphite lube for the mast.

I know I sure have not regretted doing that.

Check the ground on the alternator for rust and or corrosion too. for some reason that one liked to corrode on mine till I add the additional ground as the Kohler service bulletin recommended AND coated the area and connecters with a bit of di-electric grease to boot.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jeff on April 23, 2014, 09:51:35 AM

The point about using a blade alignment tool is to see if the blade is parallel or flat to the bed rails.

I call it a tilt gage.

You measure from the bed rail to the gage at each end of the gage. If the blade is flat to the table then the measurements should be the same.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Jeff on April 23, 2014, 09:51:35 AM

The piece of aluminum is about a foot long and runs perpendicular to the blade.  You measure from each end of the piece of aluminum down to a board placed on the bed rails.  Because the piece of aluminum is a foot long and the blade is only an inch wide any slope in the blade front to back is multiplied by 12 times which makes it easier to measure and adjust.

Dave Shepard

The Blade Guide Alignment Tool is for checking the tilt of the guide rollers.

I don't think Jeff has a control box on his mill, it is an early model with the drum switches on the mast.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Yup. Drum switches.  I've never had any issues with the way the blade tracks or saws, lumber has always been good. I just remember the last time the cants left at the end was slightly out of square.  That wouldn't be a blade tilt adjustment wood it?

YellowHammer

Out of square cants indicate that the backstops need to be adjusted to be square to the bed when they are under clamp load

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

Isn't it just as important, maybe even more so to have the blade cutting square with the bed?  That is the critical thing for what I am about to do.  Two-siding the cedar logs.

Peter Drouin

I don't know far your going to pull the mill. But if it's a long way I would go over every inch of it. And bring a spare tire and tools.
Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Jeff, I would say that all three of the items that I listed are equally important, and should be done in that order.  You will be assured of sawing square lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Might do a check on the cam followers,  inside to out on the blade off the bed. then do a check on the blade guide as it moves open. simple but time does have its effects on things,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

I did an alignment on the TK last week just as a checkup.  It had been making good lumber but my blade tilt was off a bit.  No difference in the quality of lumber after adjusting and the boards were still good, but I think I can push it harder and run the band longer before making a wave.  Anyways it gives me a good feeling to know everything is adjusted properly.  Don't take a minute to check it...I use a 18" steel rule and hold it on the blade with a magnet.

On the trailer bearings no more than one pump.  Maybe a 1/2 pump.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the grease gun off the bearing buddy grease zerk. I gave it a shot, and now can't get the gun off. I've twisted and tipped and jerked and pulled did about everything I can think of without getting medieval on it yet.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Larry

Quote from: Jeff on April 23, 2014, 02:34:37 PM
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the grease gun off the bearing buddy grease zerk. I gave it a shot, and now can't get the gun off. I've twisted and tipped and jerked and pulled did about everything I can think of without getting medieval on it yet.

Now your asking tough questions.  I only get paid to answer easy ones. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

On any LT40 that I have aligned, the last step is to tip the head back 1/16" on the outside. It won't cut parallel to the bed if you don't. I don't know what the spec is on our earlier machine.

Nomad

You can try prying it off with a screwdriver.  Personally, I'd get medieval.  Bend hard and yank.  It (shouldn't) break the zerk.  At least, I've never had one break doing that.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Hilltop366

Quote from: nomad on April 23, 2014, 05:54:08 PM

You can try prying it off with a screwdriver.  Personally, I'd get medieval.  Bend hard and yank.  It (shouldn't) break the zerk.  At least, I've never had one break doing that.

I have broken one or two before, not sure what the answer is other then a pry.

If it was mine I would change the engine oil if it has been in the engine for three years even though it looks good.

Thank You Sponsors!