iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plastic gas tank repair question

Started by Jim_Rogers, May 05, 2018, 01:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

On my Woodmizer mill I have a red plastic gas tank.
One seam is starting to weep a big of gas.
I just checked the FAQ of flex seal and it says you can't use it on gas tanks.

does anyone know of a easy to use, easy to get, plastic gas tank repair product?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

The Sun's UV rays are generally what kills plastic products.  This constant exposure causes the plasticizers to migrate to the surface and evaporate making the plastic brittle as well as loosing it's color.  I am not aware of a viable fix other than replace. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

A long time ago, when I drove home from a road job, I forgot to secure my jug cover with the hold down straps. And it blew away. I drove up and down the highway looking for it but I couldn't find it.
I need to get another one, so my jugs are not in the sun.
Until then they are unless my tarp is over the mill for rain.

Jim Rogers

Barebuttminer

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 05, 2018, 01:24:52 PM

does anyone know of a easy to use, easy to get, plastic gas tank repair product?

Jim Rogers
Jim;
I've tried several fixes on plastic tanks most don't work as advertised. What I found that works the best is a product from Eclectic called Seal All, it is gas & oil resistant and can be used on plastic.  http://eclecticproducts.com/seal-all.html
The only permanent fix, that I have found and the least expensive, is to weld with a soldering iron using strips of plastic cut from an oil jug as filler.
BBM
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Barebuttminer on May 05, 2018, 02:32:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 05, 2018, 01:24:52 PM

Jim Rogers
Jim;
I've tried several fixes on plastic tanks most don't work as advertised. What I found that works the best is a product from Eclectic called Seal All, it is gas & oil resistant and can be used on plastic.  http://eclecticproducts.com/seal-all.html
The only permanent fix, that I have found and the least expensive, is to weld with a soldering iron using strips of plastic cut from an oil jug as filler.
BBM
BBM, I'm going to try it and see how it works for me.
Jim Rogers

bill m

I have a couple of gas tanks I have fixed with a soldering gun. Both have held up fine for about 8 years now.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

goose63

With a soldering gun and some zip ties wou can weld plastick done it many times
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Southside

I tried in vain to fix mine last year when it had the same problem, yup I fixed the leak, then another one showed up, I ended up replacing it after spending a lot of time fixing it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Corley5

We used to fix old Ski Doo tanks with a soldering iron and the plastic six pack holder rings.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gary Davis

the uv light destroys the plastic just get a new one from wood mizer they are not that expensive I have had to replace my lube tank and gas tank  

justallan1

I think I'd just get a new one, then I know I can walk out to the mill at any given time and not have to wonder when it's going to fail again.
If it were the coolant tank I might push my luck a bit more, knowing that I can just hook up any jug that I found for the day and worry about it later.

Crusarius

After having many offroad miles on my jeep and having to do many trail fixes just to get home I learned a few things. 

The most important one is radiator stew. normal black pepper will seal a radiator long enough to get you home and then some depending on the hole. Even when the fan takes a bite out of the radiator.

The second most important one is gas tank temporary seal. Take a normal bar of hand soap and rub it over the leaking area. Don't ask me how it works or why but it will stop the leak. This is a temporary fix as it does wash off in the rain :) has to be bar soap.

I had a friend of mine that poked a hole in his fuel tank while working under his jeep. He called me asking what to do. I told him grab a bar of soap and rub it on the leak. It sealed it for about a month till he could replace the tank. It was raining during that month so my friend did a couple reapplications but it never leaked.

One disadvantage to the soap trick is now anything that may have bonded to the tank before definitely will not bond anymore. But overall it works as a trail fix.

KirkD

Quote from: justallan1 on May 07, 2018, 12:33:16 AM
I think I'd just get a new one, then I know I can walk out to the mill at any given time and not have to wonder when it's going to fail again.
If it were the coolant tank I might push my luck a bit more, knowing that I can just hook up any jug that I found for the day and worry about it later.
I am with you since it is gas don't fix it unless it is temporary. If that is what you want to do clean it good rough it up with sand paper and put JB Weld on it.
On my 89 LT40 I bought a 2.5 gallon outboard motor tank and it fits perfect in the tank mount and straps down like it should. I put a marine quick coupler on the tank so all I have to do is pop it off and take it inside when I am not using the saw.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

78NHTFY

UV killed both my water and gas tanks on my LT40.  Thought the Woodmizer replacements would still not be UV protected (and expensive) so bought red plastic gas tanks (5 gal) at a box store. A little drilling and attaching and good to go.  If I remember, you have to drill the hole in the gas tank close to the fill hole in order to get your fingers inside it to hold and turn the nut on the gas line fitting.  Took a bit but I managed.  When working, I keep the cap on the gas fill a turn loose to allow for vent/gas flow.  For me it was issue of Time is Money: aside from trip to the store, took me an hour for each tank.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but think safety...  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Jim_Rogers

At the end of the day, yesterday, my gas tank was almost empty.
So I opened up my package of "Seal-All"
and put on a mechanic glove.
I spread some on the leaking seam and a corner hole that I tried to repair before.
I let it sit over night to dry.
Here is a shot of it this morning before gas was added:

Then I added gas.
I'll inspect it closely tomorrow morning and let you know if it is wet.
Jim Rogers.
PS. the rubber mechanic glove wasn't the best protection to my finger. Or it ripped.

petefrom bearswamp

Repaired a 6 gal gas can 10 yrs ago using the soldering iron method, still using it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Percy

I'll second the Seal All idea. What I have done in the past is sand the tank around the leak. Put seal all on, then a small piece of cloth, then more seal all. Like you are laying up fiberglass. Make sure cloth gets soaked with seall all. Did a fuel tank on a pickup this way while it still had fuel in it... Its not a forever fix but will last about a year....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

mike_belben

When my gas cans leak its because the stupid epa filler necks have busted.  At which time i use em for target practice to show the kids what a load of birdshot will do to their brother or sister if they fool around with dads shotgun. 
Praise The Lord

Jim_Rogers

I said I'd let you know how I made out with the jug overnight.
As of this morning the area that used to be wet from gas is dry to the touch.
I think I got it but I don't know how long it will last, we shall see.

Jim Rogers

LeeB

Just curious what the cost of a new tank is versus what you have spent for patching? Looks like a replacement tank for my mill is about $55 for a diesel tank. Have no idea what it is for a gasoline engine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Looking up the gas tank for my mill (1995), it listed at $49.95, and that's just the tank, no cap, line, etc!

I would expect it to be at least 10% higher at this time!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Mine seems to still be pretty robust. Hopefully it won't fail any time soon. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!