iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 240 D axle type?

Started by madmax, October 29, 2012, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmax

I have a Timberjack 240D with Rockwell axles, when I do break a part on them, how can I tell which Rockwell axle that I have? Where would be the best place to get parts?

Thanks

madmax

240b

Maybe  PR75's  get a picture....     

ga jones

there should be a tin plate riveted on the axle with the model number. where you are located is what will tell where to get parts. any timberjack shop.Franklin dealers.those axles were used in lots of machines. the aftermarket has all the parts for most of the axles.cj logging here in pa. Davco in maine.A good parts guy can identify the model by discriptions of planitary covers in most casses.How old is it. Does it have the laughing mule on the planitarys?
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

madmax

Look like my axles could be PR75's? No donkey on them. Here is my problem, maybe it is me? Went to replace axle seal(leaking on back side of planitarys) so i jacked tire up. It had a wicked wobble to the tire. The spindle nut was pretty tight, so I put Two new bearing in at $400. The book said Tighten to 100 fp, then back off 1/4 turn, doing this the whole hub has a lot of play. I noticed the bearings slide on the spindle with no resistance. Spindle does not look warn? Took other side off, same thing. They had spindle nut tight, not backing it off. Any idea what I should do? Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks

240b

whats the number on the bearing does it match the old one? spindles probably just worn out. can you even tighten it enough to get it tight?

madmax

Confirmed bearings are correct. Every one thinks spindle & planitary drum is worn. Local mechanic thinks if I just add more preload to bearing, it will just come loose? Starting to run out of money on this project!

240b

probably be cheapest to find whole rear end out of burnt rig

loggah

Tighten the spindle nut tight and take all the play out !! they have to be real tight or you will be replacing planetarys and axles. on a timberjack 208 my father bought brand new years ago we had to replace numerous planetarys while it was under warranty because the  wheel bearings were loose from the factory. We finally tightened them up tight,really tight and never had a problem afterward.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

ga jones

If your going off the number on the old bearing it could be wrong. they are made in sets cup and cone.Did you knock out the cup (race) and get the number off it and get the coinsiding cone? you can pein the spindle to stop the bearing from spinning on it. You can also use green lock tight.(sleeve retainer) on it.this will make up a .015 thousanths gap. Tighten the hub untill You feel resistance while spinning the hub.Then back off to the first lock the nut will catch.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!