iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying logs

Started by ncsawyer, March 01, 2015, 12:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucer

Some background: I spent 4 years contract sawing for a timber framer. He bought the logs wherever he could and I sawed them to his specs. I managed his log yard for him so I know exactly what volume he bought and what he paid for it. I charged him by the BF of actual wood produced so I know exactly what his recovery was.

When the timber frame shop closed, I started buying logs from the local veneer (for plywood) company. They buy only top quality logs, but the logs will all be cut to 8'-8" lengths for the lathe. That means a 52' log can have a lot of sweep and still be suitable for them. They set aside the straightest logs -- the best of the best -- for me. They also mark them up a lot over their costs. In the end, I'm paying 50% more for the logs than the timber framer was :(. On the other hand, I'm getting 50% recovery than I did with the stuff the timber framer was buying :). Bottom line -- it costs me the same for the wood in a timber but I have a fraction of the waste to deal with ;D.

This works out well. The veneer plant goes through as much wood in half a day as I saw in a good season. They have way more influence with the loggers and the loggers know better than to slip in a bad load.

I have a first rate relationship with the log buyer at the veneer plant. I pay what he asks -- I never try to bargain. When the invoice arrives, my cheque is in the mail the next morning.

It never hurts to visit a big mill -- especially if you are doing specialty stuff and they aren't. Most important, though ... you have to know the economics of your operation extremely well. You're going to pay more for the logs so it's up to you to know how high you can go and still make a comfortable return.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

gimpy

My next door (property) neighbor is a private logging company. He's cutting a stand of Western Red Cedar within 10-20 miles. I ordered minimum 34 foot long, minimum 14" tops. (Approximately 25 per Self loader truck) I ordered 5 trucks (16-1800 per truck) delivered and stacked on sacrificial logs. Should be stacked in the next week or two.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Thank You Sponsors!