Sponsors:

Bro Noble's whatzit

Started by Furby, February 19, 2007, 10:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Santa Anna's artificial leg?  :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Judging by the tooth marks in the cedar board, this thing is 6-8 inches long.  It's shape seems to be an effort to conform to the human body.  It doesn't look to be a conveyance of liquids.  I'm thinking it to be a "powder horn" type of device for carrying gunpowder.  Being older than me opens up a lot of territory, seeing as how I'm such a youngster, but I can imagine it being used by cavalryman with a Sharps Carbine.  The powder charges were created ahead of time and wrapped in paper.  The containers on the side of the "powder horn" may have held these charges.  Since the Sharps was a single shot, there would have to be a few handy for an unplanned fire fight.

That's my guess.

Furby

Well that's not bad Tom. :)
Bro. Noble is the one that knows for sure what it is..... I forgot. ::)
I do know that it is 11.5" long so you are pretty close on that part.

Texas Ranger

A specimen bottle for a civil war surgeon.  Specifically, the urologist assigned to Sherman.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

My last guess, a shot pouch.

Bro. Noble

Well, Tom,  you kinda described the making of the first 'catridges' :D :D  Keep thinking along that line ;D  You just about got those tubes figgered out.

TR, here's a clue just for you-----It's too old to be a broomhandle holder ;)

You guys are forgetting to think old-----pre civil war,  and remember this was packed by a horse :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dana

Am early version of a monocular?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

limbrat

The tubes may have been mounts,was it made to hold a flag staff?
ben

Texas Ranger

The tubes may have held forms to role the early paper cartridges around to give it the base.  The flask may have held the mixture of salt peter and water to soak the papers in for complete combustion.

Bro. Noble

Let me give you a little history on paper cartridges.  This may be something that Jeff will want to use when he advertises the whatzit on e-bay. 

paper 'cartouches'  pronounced 'kattiges' by some of our early Americans,  were developed soon after the hand cannon developed into the musket.  They were used from about 1575 to about 1865 to speed up the loading process during battle conditions.  A charge of powder and a lead ball were rolled in a piece of paper and folded, twisted, or glued at the ends and stored for the time when needed.  When used,  the end was torn off, a little powder placed in the priming pan of a flintlock arm, and the rest poured down the barrel,  followed by the ball.

George probably carried a couple of whatzits on his horse,  but not to carry his wooden teeth in :D :D

sawguy21

Bro' that is interesting history. Wow, 300 years. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Texas Ranger

Ifin I knowed what it was, I might offer a hunnert dollars fer it, being as how it comes from Texas by way of a good ol Mizzou boy.

Texas Ranger

OK, OK, usually there was a pair of em, riding on either side of the saddle, and one carried a flagon of gin, the other the vermouth, and the little things on the side held the tooth picks with the olive.

For gentlemen soldiers, of course.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

This whole thread gave me an idear for another whazzit? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 28, 2007, 06:10:33 PM
OK, OK, usually there was a pair of em, riding on either side of the saddle,

For gentlemen soldiers, of course.

Well,  TR,  this much of what you said will be useful to Jeff :D :D

Say,  how tall was Santa Anna?  Do you reckon that's where this whatzit's mate went?

Texas Ranger

Noble, I ran down as much Mexican stuff I could, nada, nothing, not the first hint.

Santa Anna was a purty short fella, that thing mighta held his cork leg!

Texas Ranger

Here's da swizzle stick ta stir them martoonies.

It's my Johnson.

Bro. Noble

Wow,  that's a beaut.  You better start saving your allowance so you can buy that old horsepistol a scabbard :(

By the way,  I think Furby owes you a cigar for figgering out the whatzit :D :D

Tom

I haven't figured it out yet!   ???

Furby

ME ???
Look who's talking Bro! :D :D :D

Texas Ranger

Heres a picture of a saddle set up with the horsepistol holster in place.  Don't know where the DanG horse went! 8)

Tom

Texas Ranger,
That saddle hasn't got a PRG like the first one does.

Furby

Well I was doing some digging online about this and found a holster that was close but not it.
A little more digging and I found the website for the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.
I sent an email with a couple pics and here is part of the reply:

Circa 1845-1855 pommel holster.
Issued to mounted troops (dragoons and cavalry) they were used to carry
a single-shot percussion military pistols at the front of the
saddle. The narrow "pockets" on the face of the holster body at the
mouth were for carrying paper-wrapped cartridges for the weapon.

Cordially yours,
Richard Rattenbury
Curator of History
National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum
Oklahoma City, OK

Thank You Sponsors!