iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Yep don't start trying to compete on price with a local sawyer near him, which is what compromising on travel charges would be. Maybe compete on quality, service, your good looks or something else. Tell him your willing to come if he changes his mind.

in addition to travel costs, disadvantage of increasing distance also includes the ability to assess whether the job is really ready, consequences of it not being ready, and your  being on the hook for performing the job at that distance from home no matter what happens including with the weather. That being said I do often saw two hours from home.

My travel charges don't really pay me for driving time,  just expense, so I am in some sense compromising already. I am making the same amount of money if I have to drive five hours in a day or a half hour. I'll tell you which I would prefer if you ask.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

With road trips you are also the one with your neck out (old saying) if you have a breakdown.  Last year I had an alternator failure when I was over 200 miles from home.  Wood-Mizer overnighted one to the motel and I was up and sawing the next day, but the expenses of the lost time was mine.  I am just saying that the risk is there and lodging doesn't really cover everything. 

Also as Dennis mentioned above, travel and setup fees do not reimburse me for the 3½ hours that I sit behind the steering wheel driving 230 miles. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

Haven't been able to get any sawing done, just trying to round up more walnut, cherry and maple.

Brought this load of walnut home yesterday. Hope to get 2 more this week

Magicman

Hey, that is a nice "roundup".  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

Saturday Job!  All went well with these BIG logs.  All live-edge....2 3/8"

<br

Just Squeezed Through!!!!

Happy Customer (far right)...and his two brothers.  Hard Working Crew, did a great job.

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

:o  Wowser, dat is Whacking-n-Stackin'.

Brad_bb

Very neat and tidy stacks!  How wide is your throat opening on your mill?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

goose63

The junk pile did have some good in it

Wasent all bad

Lonny said take it down to the burn pile nope think I can do some thing with it

Teresa was happy with the short fat ones she gave me a$20 tip

Now Lonny will bring the 18 ft by 20 inch wall nut over

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

E-Tex

Brad...... 34.5" max cut width
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

Lance, that is some fine stuff.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

E-Tex

danny, thanks.

customers were high-fiving when the slabs came off.  it was work, but we had fun!
L2 Sawmill LLC

E-Tex

L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Ken, you should be ashamed snookering Danny like that.  Well, no you shouldn't..   :D

Crossroads

I agree and understand that I can't give away my travel time. At $50/hr one way sometimes I feel like I'm already loosing out, but also understand that I'm not selling my driving skills. Terrificttimbers, if I had to rely on selling my good looks, I'd have gone broke a long time ago lol i did lay it on pretty think about how great my new LT40 is with the hopes of getting a call back. Only time will tell.... as for the breakdowns, I wood actually be in a better position in this case because the job is within a half hour of the wood Mizer dealer in Portland. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Yup, each potential job has to be weighed on it's own merits and otherwise to determine whether they will be profitable.  There is nothing wrong with declining. 

I do some charitable jobs but they are very rare and of my choosing and that is also a completely different subject.

Darrel

The small custom job for the irrigation district I was able to get because their manager knew that I had a mill and the price quoted by the local lumber yard was crazy high.  There are a whole lot of old dams in this area that are set up to use Lumber that was readily available 75 or 100 years ago but there are no longer any mills that cut to those demensions. Some of these dams have been replaced others are still in very good condition and still do the job they were built to do but the lumber needed for the gates is no longer available.  That's where the small guy with a portable sawmill comes in. This lumber, while in the dam, is always wet and like a sinker log, it has a very long lifespan. So we shall see if I get any more orders like this one.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

I'm learning MM, jhart gave me some good advice while in Africa last month. He said, "make sure your close to the dock before you jump off the boat". Each of these little lessons gets me a little closer to the dock. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Nice looking slabs e-Tex, the tail gunners did a nice job of stackin too!

terrifictimbersllc

Etex, what engine is on your LT50 wide and how do you feel about the power available during those very wide cuts?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

E-Tex

Crossroads, thanks.....yes, they were a very hard-working crew

Terrfifictimber.....38 gas.  I was worried about the wide cuts and staying "FLAT".  I kept sharp blades (4° - used 5 in 2100bf) and cut slow.  The slabs were all flat except one little wave in the middle of one going over a big knot.  I probably cut slower than needed but the results turned out very good.   Leading up to this job I was sure thinking...."I wish I had bought the diesel".  But it went very well with the 38 gaser!
L2 Sawmill LLC

mike_belben

How many gallons of fuel on that job?
Praise The Lord

E-Tex

L2 Sawmill LLC

WV Sawmiller

Decided to clean up a little stock. Removed the cover to my mill and found a mother mouse with 4 young ones hanging on like a bunch of baby possums. Killed 3 little one but mama and one offspring made it to my slab pile and escaped. I need the a couple of the black rat snakes over on the outdoor thread to come live in my slab pile and help keep me from getting a bunch of chewed wires.

Sawed one small 10' poplar log into 10-1X6s and one 1X8 for stock. Then sawed a 12' and 15' buckeye into 1/2" live edge boards. The buckeye fell last week and I dragged it down yesterday and cut the tops into low BTU/trashy firewood. The boards I cut I will air dry, plane one side and cut into 9" & 12" blanks and my daughter will take them to Camp Care, a NC summer camp for kids with/survivors of cancer and their siblings. My daughter is very active with Camp Care as a counselor and activity director. Two summers ago they added woodburning as an activity and this will be the 3rd summer I have provided the blanks. The counselors draw figures/scenes on the blanks and the kids burn it into the wood and it is very popular with them. It is a great use of otherwise trash wood and any time and effort that helps these kids is very rewarding. I already have plenty of blanks for this summer but today's cutting will be for future years. When cutting 1/2" I set my Simple Set at 5/8" and set my mark to leave a 1" board on the bottom. 

5th cut off a poplar tree. About 56 bf of pretty decent 4/4 lumber returned.

Small 15' long Buckeye log for woodburning blanks

2nd cut off the buckeye - 12' log

Total yield - about 56 bf of poplar 4/4 and 150 square feet of 3' & 6' 2/4 live edge buckeye. All stickered and air drying.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CKWoodCutter

Hard to beat this walnut. 2'-3' wide on the small end and up to 4' wide on the big end.

Southside

WV - get you some chickens, those barn yard buzzards eat mice better than any cat ever could.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!