iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So, now what do I do with it?

Started by D6c, December 10, 2017, 11:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Got this big burr oak...4' big end 3' small end and a little over 13' long.  The only way I can get it on the saw is to quarter it with a chainsaw and it will still be big.  It was way to heavy for my tractor loader and it will lift about 5000#.  Loaded it with my brother's excavator.  If there were someone nearby with a slabbing chainsaw mill or lucas type mill that might be the solution.

goose63

I can only do38 inch with my chain saw mill thats not big enough to help
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

firefighter ontheside

I would consider this method for quarter sawing.  Of course you will have to do a bunch of the cutting with the chainsaw instead of mill, but you will get a lot of quarter sawn boards out of that big log.

https://woodmizer.com/us/Resources/Wood-Mizer-Learning-Center/ArtMID/5164/ArticleID/153/How-to-Quarter-Saw-Lumber
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TKehl

I can handle that size.  Might have to trim a touch of flare, but 48" is fine.

What are you wanting to get out of it, lumber or slabs?

Timeframe?  Your close but far.   :D  Would be good to have a few big uns lined up to make it make sense.  Plus it may be a bit before I can get away.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

If you split the pith like is shown in the quartersawing link, your boards will side bend significantly because there is juvenile wood on one edge and mature wood on the other.  The juvenile wood shrinks about 1% in length and the mature wood does not, so, the result is side bend.  It can be dramatic.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D6c

Quote from: TKehl on December 10, 2017, 08:21:33 PM
I can handle that size.  Might have to trim a touch of flare, but 48" is fine.

What are you wanting to get out of it, lumber or slabs?

Timeframe?  Your close but far.   :D  Would be good to have a few big uns lined up to make it make sense.  Plus it may be a bit before I can get away.

Looks like you're about 3 hours away from me.  There might be one more that's not quite as big but that's a long way to go for a couple of logs...and with my old truck that would be a long ride bringing them to you.  What kind of mill do you have that has that kind of capacity?

D6c

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2017, 08:33:57 AM
If you split the pith like is shown in the quartersawing link, your boards will side bend significantly because there is juvenile wood on one edge and mature wood on the other.  The juvenile wood shrinks about 1% in length and the mature wood does not, so, the result is side bend.  It can be dramatic.

Good point....that's part of what I'm trying to decide...what to cut it into.  Some slabs would be good but without a bigger saw quartering would be my only option.

scsmith42

Burr oak makes beautiful QS lumber.  Just edge the pith and sapwood off after you are done milling the boards (presuming that you can't octagon the log first.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

D6c

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 11, 2017, 10:44:38 AM
Burr oak makes beautiful QS lumber.  Just edge the pith and sapwood off after you are done milling the boards (presuming that you can't octagon the log first.

I was thinking it would be nice to quarter-saw a good part of it.  I know of a couple of guys wanting trailer decking but I hate to cut it up for that if I can get some nice QS mat'l.
To eliminate side bow I guess I could saw it, dry it, and then re-saw the edges to straighten it up.

Might be a challenge to get it split with a chainsaw and get it cut half way straight.  Could try to rig up some type of guide for the saw so I don't mess it up too bad.  I have a 25" bar on the saw but it will still take every bit of it cutting from both sides.

TKehl

I've got a Lucas swing mill with slabber attachment.

If you are after mostly dimensional, I'd recommend cutting through with a chainsaw on one length and both ends.  (A chalk line helps.)  Then use wedges and maybe that excavator for extra persuasion to split the other half.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

firefighter ontheside

I was referring to the "Easy Quartersawing" steps also on the same page and not the actual quartering method.  This method cuts the pith out.  Sorry for the confusion. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

D6c

Quote from: drobertson on December 11, 2017, 04:29:40 PM
D6. what sawmill do you have?

An '87 Woodmizer LT40 that I've converted to hydraulic.

scsmith42

Quote from: D6c on December 11, 2017, 12:36:43 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on December 11, 2017, 10:44:38 AM

To eliminate side bow I guess I could saw it, dry it, and then re-saw the edges to straighten it up.

You would have less waste if you edged the pith and sapwood off of lumber while green.  That will help prevent it from crooking while drying.  It will also provide you with long, straight QS boards that would be suitable for bookcase sides, etc.

I'd definately recommend Yellowhammer's Reverse Roll Quartersawing procedure, as it will allow you to net a greater portion of high fleck, wide boards. 

Be sure to mill the wide boards thicker than normal.  From a 30" small end you should be able to net 12" boards after pith and sapwood trimming.  I'd suggest that you mill at 1-7/16" green to have a dry 5/4 board. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brucer

I sawed a few Western Larch logs 16' long with a similar diameter. My customer had a friend come in with a 30" chainsaw and they split the logs in two -- one cut down each side. They used a level to draw a line through the centre across the ends. Then they used a builder's chalkline to mark the sides. After that they freehanded the cuts.

I was surprised how quickly it went -- and the two cuts were very close to meeting in the centre.

I was able to stand a half log vertically and break it down. My blade rises to 35" off the bed and (without the dragback) I have 14" clearance above the blade, so I have the room to break down a 49" diameter half log.

I basically cut each half log down into 14" thick cants and then resawed them into whatever dimensions the customer wanted.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dboyt

I use the chain saw method, cutting vertically into the log, then turn the log over (my bar is only 42") and finish up from the other side.  It helps a lot to use a level.  Then again, there's always black powder...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vODXyUmkEoo
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!