iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Load Securement Woes, Not Me!

Started by Gary_C, May 10, 2011, 04:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

It's kind of hard to see, but look ahead of the truck the trooper had stopped.

Trooper Dash Cam

Yes doctorb, there is the aspen you were looking for. That stuff is so DanG'ed slippery when covered with snow. That's also the hazard of hauling crossways.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

.......and there are still people who will tailgate log trucks and heavy equipment haulers. 

In real life, this kind of thing happens regardless of the prudence of the driver.  It pays to think twice and pick an opportune moment to pass a big truck that is carrying a load.  Give the driver a chance.

I've seen so many autos that will pass a truck, even on a divided highway, and then dive in under their left front, giving no room.  Most truckers have washers pinched from their seat covers because of it.  :)

Jeff

Back in 1982 We were logging in Clare county on the old McKay ranch. The mill was closed for lack of orders so they put me in the woods running skidder. My Father-in-law, Bob,was out on strike from the company he worked for, so I got him a job driving the old international log truck with the Prentice loader behind the cab. Old 5 speed with a 4 speed browning transmission.  Anyhow, the landing was behind loon lake, and the lake was on both sides of the private road.  It was a day that looked about like that one in the video. Bob was coming out loaded and made the turn up and started through the lake. For some reason he had decided to not tie down until he got out to the main road. Just as he got to the lake the whole load slid off. Probably 8 cord of aspen logs. Almost everyone hit the lake, busting through the ice. What a mess. I think Bob quit that day after the boss chewed him a new one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

You can see the road he was on in the north east corner of the lake. He was coming from the north and the load slid into the big part of the lake you see to the east.

Woodhauler

Jeff, i had a similar thing happen to me in the late 90s! Going down the road with a full load of pine saw logs on my 96 freightliner self loader truck, i felt a bump like i hit something in the road but nothing that alarmed me till i glanced a look out the right hand mirror and seen my load of logs being strwen along the road a 55 miles per hour!Good thing this happened on a road less teraveled and no one was around! Front stake broke off flush with the pocket! Took me a hour to get them all out of the snow and reloaded! Glad the law didn't show up!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

doctorb

As you guys probably figured, I don't hang around the logging part of the FF too often because I just don't have the experiences that you have.  But WOW, none of that video or those stories looks / sounds like fun!  I find it hard to believe that you could lose a load like that and get it back mounted on the truck in an hour.  Even that's amazing!

And while the aspen looks blotchy white in the video, is that because of the snow?  What are the penalties / fines etc for losing a load of timber.  Are there any?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Tom

Jeff,
He could have used for the arguement that he was making the company money.  Putting the logs into the lake would be investing in their future and the company could come back in a hundred years and "salvage" them for $1000 a board foot lumber.  ;D

Gary_C

Quote from: doctorb on May 10, 2011, 06:18:39 PM
And while the aspen looks blotchy white in the video, is that because of the snow?  What are the penalties / fines etc for losing a load of timber.  Are there any?

Yes, the white is snow on the logs. Aspen can be a multitude of colors from dark and deeply furrowed to smooth and grey to smooth with a greenish tint.

And yes, there are fines for losing your load or part of it, but I don't want to know how much. Probably a minimum of $200 up to $thousands.

I have been to load securement seminars put on by the MN DOT and they sometimes have become ugly scenes. When I saw that video it brought memories of the at least 15 year old photos the DOT guys were showing about one log truck that had his load slide off going around a corner. They showed those pictures so many times the truckers got ugly with them and said that was old news and show us some current pictures. Well DanG it, now they have some new pictures and even a video to hound us with.

I have never liked hauling those 100 inch pulp logs crossways on what is called those rail trailers. So many times you would see those trailers going down the road with the straps in the middle of the load flapping in the breeze. Now the DOT requires center stakes or hold downs for the straps and the straps are supposed to touch each log on the top of the load. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

shinnlinger

I wonder if the trucker just kept going????
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Ron Scott

I know of a few such happenings, especially during winter hauling. One trucker was also lucky as he dumped his load at 4:00 am in the morning when there was no or little traffic. He turned around and had it all picked up and reloaded before anyone or the law knew about it.

Another dumped his on the 131 freeway. The south bound freeway was blocked and a detour required for a few hours of cleanup. A lot of law on this one for a $1200.00 fine; truck was also overloaded. Some of the load had to be left for another truck to pick up.

Also a couple dozer slide offs from their flat beds. One happened right in front of me. Scary!

Never get too close to any trucker! hurt_smiley

~Ron

LOGDOG

You've got that right Ron. Back in 1996 I knew a couple of guys that had just bought a brand new Franklin roof mount forwarder. They put it on the lowboy to go to it's first job. They were taking it through a little town called Laona, WI. Some of you may know where that is. Well there's a train trestle that comes over the hwy there. It doesn't quite have the clearance that the newer overpasses have. That roof mounted loader caught the trestle as the semi and lowboy went underneath it. It snapped the chains like nothing and swept that Franklin right off the back of the lowboy. Now the proud new owners are following the truck right? Imagine seeing your brandnew $100K + skidder getting stripped off the lowboy by an overhead bridge crossing and now that thing is bouncing down the road coming straight at you. Man ...you just never know.

Bobus2003

Back in 2002 on the Battle Creek Fire, the National Guard lost a D8 cat off their transport.. The CAT tumbled down the hill.. They came back a for it a few days later after the fire passed.. Started it up drove it up to the road and reloaded it and hauled it off to be fixed.. smashed the cab

barbender

You do have to be more careful with rail trailers. Care has to be taken to put a load on neatly, and some species of wood, especially Aspen, can get to be like cylindrical ice cubes. I realize it does happen, sometimes in spite of the drivers best efforts, but I've never lost a stick. I've heard of guys losing a load trying to make a left turn and beat a light in town, you can't push it like that.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

You'll notice that truck in the video was going about twice as fast as the truck following it, around that corner.
Too many irons in the fire

flibob

The second slowed down to talk on the cb radio to the first guy.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

nas

Or to avoid the logs strewn all over the road ;)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Taylortractornut

Dad told me back in te  50's as a kid and things were poor  the  paper mills took  willow  stick wood for  fine paper pulp.   THey  took it only after it  was     peeled with a drawknife.      Dad and  Grandfather took   mules and i think a Farmall Cub and skidded the logs when the ground was frozen.    After peeling the logs  would  have to be dried but it the  weather didnt cooperate and the  pulp truck came theyhad to  load them.    He told me often the  binders and  load  cables still couldnt hold them as they  wouls shoot out the side.      THe  pulp trucks  were old  1.5 ton trucks with old generator  housing s welded to the frame  to hold the bolsters and  old wagon wheel  rims   welded on  the frame to keep the loads off the axles  real old school.

Well about  4 years ago a friend of mine called me and the forestry school  he was in was  needing  150      8 to   14 inch  willow trees to be loaded on  bolster trucks to be taken to his school for some analysis. I took my  mini ex and  thumb up there to where they were  logging them.   They   peeled them with a pressure washer on  the landing.    I loaded them and  they used the load binding winches and a cheater to tighten them.    I saw the  college kids in the truck leaving and going up the hill out.  about that time the middle of the load shot out hte back and   landed on the hood of the  college pickup.      The next load we used a chained tail gate that came from  an open topped trailer I found at a scrap yard.    It worked like a big net to hold the butts on the back of it.

I love having to drive a rolloff at work folks passing you while you turn,    pulling under the  bed when your at an uphill intersection,  tailgating and such.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Kansas

Have heard of something similar around here. In the spring the bark starts to slip on walnut. Logs put on lengthways and tied down tight have been known to have a log or logs in the middle of the load slip right out of their bark and onto the road.

Peach James

There was a bad one at Horseshoe Bay on the mainland a couple (? 7 ?) years ago, where the load went sideways off the truck onto at least one, and I think 2, cars.  Lots of crushed people.

We live past "Adcock's Corner" on west coast road.  I've seen: 2 logging trucks worth of logs, a brand new (~10 hrs) 27 000 lb excavator, and probably 200 cars/trucks hit at that corner.  I even have to include me in the list, since I put our car off the one side of it in Feb.  (Fortunately, at 10 MPH or so, and just into the ditch...).  Trying to haul logs without securing them properly around that would be, just plain dumb.  I seem to think at least the excavator suffered from a lack of tie downs.  The driver appeared to be seeking employment in some alternate field, shortly.  Perhaps at McDonalds?

Dad tells of moving a steam roller (real, steam roller, not a motor roller), somewhere in the UK in the early 60's, when they forgot the chains.  Road speed would probably have been ~30 MPH max, and they kept the roller in steam to move it back into place on the float. 

It's a ^3rd function, and as the HP of trucks has gone up, the ability to loose a load due to excessive cornering speed has gone up too.  Brakes also play into it, in that pre air brakes, I would suspect a lot more restrant on behalf of the drivers, because there was NO way to stop.

James
Canadian Navy Sailor.  My Views, not my Employer.  1 wife, 2 sons, a dog & a horse.  5 tons of coal, and the tools to burn it.

sawguy21

Two loaded log trucks laid on the door yesterday on Vancouver Island, I believe in Nanaimo. Fortunately no one hurt but the police are saying excessive speed was a contributing factor. No word on whether the loads were properly secured.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JHBC

Yeah two bad wrecks, one in Port Alberni, the driver wasn't hurt too bad.  The other just west of there, on hwy 4.  That one was at speed, the driver was pretty badly hurt.

Peach James, you live in one of the worst stretches of highway anywhere. Safe driving.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

beenthere

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 15, 2011, 12:33:03 PM
Two loaded log trucks laid on the door yesterday on Vancouver Island, I believe in Nanaimo. Fortunately no one hurt but the police are saying excessive speed was a contributing factor. No word on whether the loads were properly secured.

Is "laid on the door" a local saying? ...maybe meaning what?   lost the load ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nas

Quote from: beenthere on May 15, 2011, 07:58:44 PM

Tipped over
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on May 15, 2011, 07:58:44 PM

Greasy side up.

SwampDonkey

More than 1 load of tree length has struck railway over passes. The load got too high on the front end, but sometimes it's not loaded properly and there is a spring pole on the top bouncing from going over the road dips and potholes. One truck went under an over pass below Houlton and jill-poked an aspen log and that log got launched into the front windshield of a passenger car behind. Well, you can imagine to grizzly scene. Some of those old railway passes are pretty low, but some guys try to load a little heavy on occasion.

On the subject of the bark color, you can also find aspen that from a little distance the bark looks like white birch. I see that here on high ground where trees are on fence rows and I think you can see a lot in the prairies kinda of chalk white to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!