iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How does the 576XP compare to the old 268

Started by just_sawing, February 24, 2019, 03:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I don't use a large saw much on the Sawmill but once in a while I have to split a log. My 268 is down and I have a opportunity to get a 576XP for a good price. How is this saw on reliability. My only comparison is the 268 that I have. 
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

wild262

Never owned one, but worked on a few.  Solid constructed saws.  Powerwise, no compairison.  576 has 10cc more.  Both magnesium cased saws of "pro" construction. Sounds like it would suit your needs a lot better than a 268xp.  I'd go for it if the price is right. Just check it over good, unless you can trust the guy selling it. 

wild262

Does your 268 need a rebuild?  If it does, you have options to get more power from it.

weimedog

Kind of an interesting comparison actually, if you can get a 576 cheap, they are a great saw. To the question, the 576's came in two configurations, auto tune and non auto tune. The autotunes were better for most folks. Compared to a 268, they are heavier and have more power , although not a "earth shattering" difference. Where they begin to to show the technology differences is vibration levels, a 576 is a smooth saw. The autotune's are an early generation of that tech and can't be upgraded with firmware and don't have an ability to interface with a computer to "peek" at things like running history as the later generation Auto Tunes from Stilh and Husqvarna. Pretty much what they are is how they will be until they are done. The Autotune does work well so having to tweak and tune for weather/temp changes isn't required. They are just as easy to rebuild, change bearings etc. as the older saw. Husqvarna's basic layout is in tact with the 576's.  Just they are a bigger saw in every way than the 268's. And last but not least, while their time in the market place is coming to an end, the 572's have replaced them. Parts are still available through the dealers and will be for a period of time. A lot of the parts needed for 268's still are available as well and there is aftermarket parts. SO for now a toss up.....but you wouldn't be disappointed with a 576. A nice saw.

One I had for a while:
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

I have fond memories of the early year 576XP autotunes.
10 years ago my Husqvarna dealer sponsored my chainsaw speed cutting competition supplying 3 brand new ones for my competitors to run. Plus 3 small Huskies as prizes.

Super smooth torque monsters right out of the box.
A 18 girl running one of them (first time ever running a saw) took 1st place in the women's and won a brand new Husqvarna 450.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

I always installed the small radius 9T DoubleGuard safety noses on the saw's bars for the competition to help prevent accidental kickbacks.
Plus supplied metal foot guards for the competitors to wear starting the next year.
In the last pic starting in 2014 when we switched to the 550XPs those bars were small sprocket nose .325

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!