iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crossbows for Deer?

Started by BCCrouch, March 09, 2001, 03:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCCrouch

This ought to be a nifty little hornets nest!  ;D

I shoot a Fred Bear Super Kodiak 60# draw recurve bow and am quite happy with it.  It might not be Black Widow, but it's everything I'll ever need.  The bow is a better bow than I am an archer, so I'm sure I'll be keeping it for a good many years to come.

I don't mind the idea of sharing the October woods with crossbows as long as they have a minimum 150# draw weight.  I saw an episode of the Practical Sportsman a few years ago that showed the relative penetrating power of various bows and the crossbows were not as impressive as one might believe.  Their short power stroke and small bolts (quarrels to some) mean that they generate less kinetic energy than a 150# or 175# draw weight would otherwise suggest.

What do you think of crossbows and would you use one?
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Jeff

I would love the option of using a crossbow. I had recontructive surgery on my shoulder in 89, but regained much of my strength, but it still limits me to a draw weight of about 60lbs on my compound, even with the 80% let off.

I don't feel that the draw weight has much relation to the success of a hunter. The success comes from knowing the capabilities and limitations of your chosen weapon, and staying within those boundries.

A true sportman would not elevate his 60 lb bow and take a 60 yard shot. I killed my first archery deer in 1973 with a 35 lb blue colored fiberglass bow. Just a simple archery target bow. I was 12 years old and had shot that bow since I was 8 or 9. It was all I had, but I knew that within 15 yards I could hit what ever I aimed at.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BCCrouch

Jeff,

I mentioned the weights for a very specific reason.  It all comes down to physics: f = m * a, force = mass times acceleration.  Crossbow bolts are substantially lighter and their power stroke is shorter, so to make sure that the bolt penetrates the vitals you really need to generate a lot of velocity.  When people read 150# draw weight on the label in the store, they tend to think that they can shoot through armor plating.  I'm here to say it just isn't so.

The last thing we need is wounded deer stumbling out of the woods and into a suburb where some anti can get a nice gory picture to splash around the press.  It's happened before and it always makes me cringe--one picture is worth a thousand words, right?  Happy guys and gals standing around a buck pole exchanging stories that grow ever more grand and suspenseful with each telling makes for a nice news item.  I remember one featuring vivid pictures of a wounded deer that dragged itself out of the woods near an elementary school bus stop and the interviewed kids were understandably upset.

I don't think we need a repeat performance.  As you stated, knowing the limitations of your weapon is crucial to good sportsmanship.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Jeff

My stance in bow hunting is that there should be some sort of standard to obtain a license. I don't know how, or if it would even be possible, but some sort of proficiency test. I know, that infringes on rights, but it is so easy to go out and buy a bow, and then go fling arrows irresponsibly at deer with results like you mentioned above.

The infinite amount of variables that come in to play while bow hunting will never eliminate the wounding of a certain percentage of deer. But the way I look at it, you have to take a test to drive a motorcycle, why not a bow. And I am not talking to BUY a bow, I am talking about a test for hunting that would be included in a special hunters safety and proficiency for archers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

marty

Guess I'll jump in the nest with both feet. I ran a archery shop for 11 years and seen a lot of crossbows and I'll agree that all the hoopla about 100 yard shots is bull. Yea they can shoot 100 yards but so can my compound and I will bet the farm when they get there they ain't much punch there. Around 20-25 yards in the kill range of one.
As for wounding deer I've seen deer with the guts blown out staggering around during rifle season so to say that the antis would love it they would love anything like that just to start some crap.
As for taking a test I don't know if that would be worth the effort or not. I shot competion for a lot of years and seen guys that could stick 60 arrows in a quarter size hole all day long but put a live critter in front of them and forget it. They couldn't hit it even if their lives depend on it.
They main thing is if you hunt with a longbow, recurve, compound or a cross bow you owe it to your quarry to be as accurate as you can. Nobody wants a pith poor shot and a long tracking job through the entire county........My 2 cents.....marty

L. Wakefield

In Maine, whether just coming from juvenile to adult, or getting your adult license for the first time ever, you have to take a hunter safety course. if you want an archery license you have to take the archery portion of the course. The test is built right in. The crossbow would be another issue. They weren't teaching that.             LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!