iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Randomly Freaky Wrong Number

Started by Jeff, July 02, 2015, 10:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

So, I might as well start at the beginning.  A couple days ago we were invited to drive our T-bird in the Harrison 4th of July Parade with a group of other classic cars. We decided to do it.  So, I get up this morning and notice a big circle of antifreeze under the front of Hoopty. Took awhile, but found a hairline crack in the solder where the tank connects to the core.

I don't know any place any more that actually does radiator repair, I posted on the facebook page created by this group that are going to be in the parade, asking if anyone knew of a place. The wife of one of the guys messaged me saying "Hey, Milke says bring it over, he'll help you" then she messaged me his phone number.

Okay, getting closer to the freaky part.

So, I put Mike's name and number in my phone and hit the call button. Well, I had inverted two of the last 4 numbers of this cellphone number. A gal answered and I said, "Is Mike there?" She said "ummm.... no....??"  Then I said, "is this Julie? This is Jeff Brokaw, you just gave me Mike's number"  The gal says "no, this is not Julie. Jeff Brokaw?"  I said yes, I must have the wrong number. At that point she says, my Name used to be Crystal Brokaw. I said, well that is kind of a coincidence, I'm from Harrison.  Hmmm...  I then asked her if she new a Ray or Ron Brokaw.  She said no. At that point I figured it was just a pretty good coincidence we had the same last name, but went ahead and asked her where she was from. She said, well, my family live in Standish Michigan.  I said, "I have a first cousin that lives over there. His dfad and my dad were brothers. Do you know a Randy Brokaw?

She says "THATS MY DAD!"  So we are both kinda freaked out. Here I'm thinking, I didn't even know there was another Brokaw in Harrison, forgetting I had called a cell number. So we laughed and friended each other on facebook.  About twenty minutes later, her Mom, who was already my friend on there, sent me a message saying. "hey  my daughter  crystal  said  she  got  a  freak  call.....  it  was a  cousin  of  my  husband."

I said SHE DID! Did she tell you how it happened unbelievable!, and Dianna said, unbelievable  indeed  lol.  I was thinking, I didn't even know there were any relatives living that close to me. Then Dianna says, She lives in Liverpool New York!

Holy Cats!  I'm still trying to process the probabilities of this. This was absolutely the best wrong number I ever dialed  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Left Coast Chris

That's pretty good.   I thought where you were going with the story was that the inverted numbers dialed a radiator shop you did not know existed and you had them fix it in time for the parade.    :) :)

That would have qualified as divine intervention........ since it is a cousin its even more divine!! :) 8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

That's a really nice story Jeff!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

shinnlinger

But did you get your car fixed and in the parade?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Cedarman

Jeff, loved the story.
But you left us hanging.  Parade?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

that is so fantastic I can hardly believe it, and really great to hear,  now, did you get the number right and find a repair for the car? just wondering,  ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

I did get the number right, but decided to fix the car myself.  I tore the radiator out, cleaned the effected area well past the failure point, then used JB weld as I don't have anything here to solder with. I let it set all night and put it in this morning. Took her for a ride around the lake, with no leaks. I'm now waiting for her to cool back down to see if it leaks then, as that is when it leaked before, on cool down after being driven at temp.  Looking good so far.

The parade is in the morning. The only problem with being in the parade instead of watching it is I won't be able to compete with the kids chasing the candy they throw out to the spectators. :D

I'll try to get some pictures from a within the parade vantage. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

That story is really unbelievable, Jeff. Did you invite Crystal to the pig roast? 
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

sandhills

And I thought all along only Nebraska was a place you could dial a wrong number, have a ten minute conversation with a complete stranger then get the right number from whoever you called by mistake  :D.  That truly is a great story Jeff, funny how things happen like that.  Hope the radiator works out, I used JB on an old grain truck we have years ago, no problems so far.

clww

Great story! :)
Have a super time in the parade tomorrow.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

That was a nice story with twist.  I love coincidences, or was it?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

I live about 25 miles from her. Maybe I could hitch a ride with her to the Pig Roast? No wait, I'd still need to find someone to spray my blueberries while I was gone.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!