iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screening the front porch at the cabin

Started by sbishop, July 05, 2015, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for ideas on screening in the front porch at the cabin. I don't really know where to start or even what kind of material to use. I'm thinking of making 4'X8' panels out of 1.5" X 1.5" material.

Should I put the panels on the outside of the railing or inside? I'm planning on the installing a screen door at the top of the stairs.

Can the screen be left up during winter months?....how would you screen it in? would you go all the way to the peek?

thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Sbishop

sbishop

zandoval

WOW - It's going to be a beauty...

I made the mistake of trying to help a friend screen his porch before we bought the actual material. First try we only got half of the screen that we needed. Second try we had to substitute another type of screen to finish out. Third try we ended up only doing a partial screening cause we could not get the screen material to match...

All I am trying to suggest is that what ever type of screen you decide on be sure to purchase all that you need before you start...

This sounds simple but it sure would have saved us allot of grief...
No matter where you're at... There you are...

WV Sawmiller

Beautiful place. I bet you enjoy it. Not sure what the view is from the porch but keep in mind the screen will definitely reduce the visibility. Then again, if the skeeters and such won't let you enjoy the view its a trade-off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

47sawdust

Go to the drug store,get the super size bottle of patience pills before you start.Look at the screen jobs on old camps for pointers.I would make them in panels that work with the framing layout,do the same for the peak.The lower panes I would install on the outside as the railing will provide some protection from humans but not bears.I would install the peak from the inside just to make it easier.I have built them using both fiberglass and aluminum,both have their strong points.Use what is readily available.You will have to screen the floor as well if there are spaces in your decking.
  Make a sizable layout table,kd 1x stock for stability and ease of handling,cut a groove for the screen spline to stretch it tight,pocket screw the joints.You've got a handsome place, take your time and do a god a good job.Screens are tricky.I'm sure you have world class skeeters and black flies that make this job a necessity.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

beenthere

I wouldn't screen it, but that likely is just me.

The work keeping screens in repair (in addition to building them), the limited visibility, and the worry about leaving them up through a winter or storing them inside.... just leads me to not go with screens.

Try some of the skeeter chasers that can be lit and used when you are out on the porch...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

47sawdust

beenthere,
That's the best advice yet.You can buy citronella candles real cheap around Christmas time.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

sbishop

Thanks for the responses...the view is looking down the river...

the reason I would like to screen up the porch is the flies are pretty bad come June till September...but the biggest reason is for my daughter, she can't be around too much flies for the next few years so its hard for her not to be with me at the camp.

I see amazon has some pretty good prices for rolls of 100ft of screen compared to prices in my home town. is there any benefit to having wide panels? lets say 7ft wide by 8ft high? or should I stick to 4X8? a disadvantage to larger screens would be if I had to repair a screen...

What size stock and what type of stock material should I use...since this will be under a covered roof, would I still need pressure treated lumbar?

Do I just make a groove in the stock?

I like the idea of using a pocket screw for the corners...

luvmexfood

I would go with panels not to wide to make installation and repair easier. Width would depend on what width screen is available. Would definetly use some type of wood that is either treated or naturally decay resistant. Low maintenance. You don't want to spend your "cabin time" doing maintenance more than is necessary.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Holmes

4x8 panels will be hard to manage and keep the screen tight. 32" x 8' panels with 1 cross piece, wrap 36" screen around and over the edges and staple, butt the panels edge to edge and tie together with battens on the inside.
Think like a farmer.

Hilltop366

Go to the 15:30 min mark to see the screens being made, lot of ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPEToPob6Q

Don_Papenburg

I would use stainless steel screen if I was going to the work making that much screen . copper would be a second option.    Stainless will hold up to a passel of cats wanting to clime them all day.  Fiberglass will last one fat cat ,aluminum might outlast the cat clan for more than a couple of days.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sbishop

Hilltop366, thanks for the video...that's exactly what I was looking for.

what size material do you think Norm is using? 2 1/2" by 3/4"?

Sbishop

Hilltop366

Your welcome, sounds about right for the size.  @ 17:44 he has a measuring tape on it to check for square, it looks like 2½ but the tape in on an angle so it looks more like 2¼ish which would work well for ripping 1x5 in two, later on when he starts the door he says that he is using 5/4 for the door instead of the ¾ he used for the screens.

Happy screening!

sbishop

I think this might be a good project for the winter...make all the panels and installed them next spring.

Still trying to figure out if I should screen the top past of the A frame...or just put panels above my head....remove them during the winter months?

Sbishop

Hilltop366

Would solid panels would block a lot of light?

sbishop

Hilltop, are you talking about the panel frame(wood) or the screen blocking the sun?

Hilltop366

Sorry, I'm a bit confused but I think I get it now after rereading it, you were referring to putting screen over head, I don't know were I got "solid panels" from.

I'm not sure what would be better but screening the A frame seems less likely to get damaged to me.

sbishop

I was thinking it would be the opposite, I was more afraid of a bird going thru the panels up in the A frame and having to replace the screen somehow...this way my feet stay on the ground  ;D

I'm assuming birds could fly thru the screen?

Hilltop366

Don't know about the birds. I wonder if squirrels would like horizontal screens?

If the upper screens were made to fit in a slot at the top and use some barrel bolts http://ca.stanleyhardware.com/type/standard-barrel-bolts-barrel-bolts at the bottom you would only have to reach the bottom of the upper screen to install and remove it.

Just ideas, don't really know what is best for you.

Thank You Sponsors!