iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford diesel question

Started by xlogger, July 06, 2015, 06:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm thinking about getting a new used truck to pull my goose neck trailers. I usually pull around 4-5 tons of wood when I pick some up that makes my total weigh around 22000 lbs. I have a one ton Dodge cummins now that does a good job but need a four wheel drive. I see a lot of Fords for sale around here but heard of some problems with one of their diesel motors and can't remember which one. I'm also thinking about just getting a 3/4 ton truck, this is not a every day job for the truck and several friends have a 3/4 that they use for their gooseneck trailers. Anyone with pros and cons on the Fords?
I'm also thinking about just getting a gas engine no more than I use it for hauling. Maybe just use it once every other week.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

sprucebunny

It's the 6.0 Ford diesel that had lots of problems.
7.3 is the best but discontinued mid-2003.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

goose63

I have a 94 f250 with a 7.3 turbo that thing will pull most any thing I put behind  it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

snowstorm

the best one is the 6.7. everyone likes to complain about the 6.0 almost all the problems have been solved. i still have one along with a 7.3 and a 6.7. i like the 6.0 better than the 7.3. if you are thinking gas try a v10 ford they run very well smooth and lots of power

gspren

I have owned and towed with the 7.3, the 6.4, and the 6.7 and I like the new 6.7 best. Adding DEF to the new Ford diesels is no big deal, much easier than the GMs I've seen although they may have improved also.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

brendonv

Ive got a 7.3 daily driver thats nothing but hassle free, and a 6.7 work truck thats the same.  Skip the 6.0 and 6.4. 2003.5-2010
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

kiko

I own one with the 6.0.  Whenever I am hooked to a big load I worry that I may disrupt the rotation of the earth if I mash to much.

grweldon

I have a 1999 F250 with the 7.3.  193K miles on it, still runs great.  I pulled a 5 ton backhoe with it on a 16' gooseneck with no problems.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

justallan1

I have a '93 3/4 ton 4x4 Ford with the 7.3 and love it. It has better than 300,000 miles on it and I thinks it's still stronger than most of the work trucks on the ranch including a V-10 Triton, a couple 6.0s and a 6.7 ;D
I frequently drag around a 1,000 gallon bumper pull water wagon and it wouldn't be hard to forget it's there and I'd sure bet that thing goes over 10,000 GVW.
It's old enough that it was only $4,000 in perfect shape when I got it 4-5 years ago, but not so old that I can't get parts anywhere I go. I'll be hunting another when it comes time.

snowstorm

i plowed roads with a 93 f350 7.3 idi for several yrs. it plowed ok but it didnt have power enough to spin a wheel on ice. they were 180hp. the later 7.3 stroke was 235hp? my 97 is 225hp 500lbs tq. my 6.0 was325 and 575 my f550 6.0 is cut back to 275hp and the hot rot of the fleet 6.7 is 400hp and 800lbs tq it seems to wear out rear tires faster than the others

Dixon700

Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

xlogger

Yes on the cummins also. I have one and it great but Dodge sure didn't do well with the transmission. Built mine at near 100,000 mile and now at 170,000 it jumping in and out of overdrive at lower speeds.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

Just looked at a 6.0 on CL's. Said that egr delete done but also new injectors and head bolts replaced, 183000 miles. Is this normal for injectors and head bolts? It has 10 ft flat bed, I want to put gooseneck hookup on it, anyone got one hookup like this? Longer than what I have now, but would like the 10 for hauling lumber. Just wondering if it might pull better or worst?

scsmith42

Quote from: xlogger on July 13, 2015, 06:58:50 AM
Just looked at a 6.0 on CL's. Said that egr delete done but also new injectors and head bolts replaced, 183000 miles. Is this normal for injectors and head bolts? It has 10 ft flat bed, I want to put gooseneck hookup on it, anyone got one hookup like this? Longer than what I have now, but would like the 10 for hauling lumber. Just wondering if it might pull better or worst?

Ricky, the weak spot with the 6/0's are the head bolts and the EGR cooler.  After removing the cooler and replacing the head bolts with higher grade studs, the engines are much more trouble free.  If you allow them to routinely idle long periods, the turbo'd can carbon up and the variable vane mechanism will stick.

A flat bed with a gooseneck ball recessed in a pocket in the middle is quite common and a great setup.  The main thing that you'll have to check with a 10' bed is if the gooseneck tongue has adequate clearance.  One of my goosenecks will clear a 10' bed, the other won't.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

xlogger

Scott, he did say in the ad that it runs good but not idles well. I have two goose neck trailers, one has a longer reach than the other. The short one is hardly enough room to get between the truck and trailer on my 8 ft bed pickup.

scsmith42

Quote from: xlogger on July 13, 2015, 07:37:24 AM
Scott, he did say in the ad that it runs good but not idles well. I have two goose neck trailers, one has a longer reach than the other. The short one is hardly enough room to get between the truck and trailer on my 8 ft bed pickup.

I would be afraid of the idling problem....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

snowstorm

the 04 i traded for a new truck would idle uneven sometimes. it might do it twice in one day then not again for a month. the scan tool said ficm low voltage. i replaced it . one thing about the 6.0 it comes with a really good auto trans. 5sp vs the old 4sp the 7.3 used

brendonv

Why buy an originally problematic engine with and obvious problem?  Keep looking.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

LUV2MILL

I have an 2001 F250 2wheel drive 7.3 with 430,000 miles on it and I love it. Had to change the injectors at about 410,000 miles but other than that just oil changes and fuel filters.

Thank You Sponsors!