iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deposit lt35 or wait a month lt40 wide

Started by Bruno of NH, April 02, 2019, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I got a good construction calculator  :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

You will do fine with simple set, as said it does not automatically compute for the kerf so you set that into your programmed drop. It's easy, I am about the most computer illiterate person out there and it took me maybe 5 minutes to figure it out.  You can also use it in manual mode and it will have an inch and quarter scale for reference.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

With simple set, you have to add the kerf.  So, If I am sawing hardwood at 1 1/8" thickness rough, I have to program the simple set at 1 1/4" to get a 1 1/8" board.  1 1/8" board plus 1/8" kerf = 1 1/4".

There is a scale with 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, and 8/4 markings on it that you use to position the blade on the opening cut so that you get an even number of boards to the bed.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bandmill Bandit

Bruno there are several methods as have been indicated above and I have tried a few of them HOWEVER, the most effective method I have found is to use the ruler for a target range finder.

If you cutting 4/4 x 6 then cut to your closest 4/4 mark on the ruler as your last side cut PRIOR to the first finish thickness cut. The dimension across will be 6 (+ the 1/8 for kerf, set 2 on your simple set screen to leave you a true 6" width) Your depth setting (set 1 the way I do it) for 4/4 will be 1 1/8.  That way don't need calculator or cheat sheet.  

I use set 1 for depth and set 2 for the width setting. Using the ruler is about the same result as accuset cause the ruler measures from the bunk rails and never changes. Using the ruler as the target to get simple set started to is very effective and quick.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

WDH 
When sawing hardwood, don't forget to flip your ruler to the hard wood side and make sure it is zeroed properly. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bruno of NH

Have a sale pending on the Thomas
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

The sale on the Thomas fell through

Bruno of NH

Might change my mind
Just asked Marty to price out a lt40 wide head 38 hp gas

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

Congrats to you. I use my simpleset religiously and made up a cheat sheet of the common sizes I saw. It saves me an additional cut or a thick or thin board on almost every cant. I start using my cheat sheet when I flip to the final face on the log/cant.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

I think an LT40 Wide would be a better choice if you have a slab market, but it's easy to spend your money.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

Dave 
I think it's a no brainer for me.
I'm also trying to bring in black locusts and more spruce

thecfarm

I have never sawed on a WM wide head. But I suppose you can saw small stuff on it just fine. Than when you want to saw the wide stuff you can do that too. On a regular WM mill,the wide stuff can not be done. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Ray and Dave,
Can you guys make it to the Northern Project on May 4th?
It would be great to have you both.

tawilson

Simpleset works fine for me but I don't really know what I might like better about the Accuset,  except I'm positive I would like the blade height readout.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

WV Sawmiller

I like the SS on my mill as it is very easy to use and provides more consistent results than me reading the scale. I ran an LT50 for a man one time for a couple hours with the Accuset and I am sure I would like it even more if I used it more. I particularly liked the blade up feature where you could set the cut thickness, start at the bottom then toggle up till you saw you were at the face width you wanted then start cutting. Of course that is basically the same thing I do with my cheatsheet in advance of cutting. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bandmill Bandit

I really need some one to explain the reason for a cheat sheet. I can't think of single time in almost 2000 hours of sawing where I would have a need for a cheat sheet. 

When I use the ruler as the target to establish the desired start size and the simple set to do the thickness sets, where does a cheat sheet come in?  

thecfarm

I will not be coming. I know I would enjoy it. And then some. Brenda just had knee surgery so I will use that for an excuse.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

I hope to meet you some time Ray
I will be taking my new mill to Maine on the beginning of summer to saw log for a friends new home.
Maybe we can meet up then.

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

My process is saw face #1, flip 180 and saw face #2 down to the final finished board width I want and can get from the log (10" 12", etc) then I flip 90 degrees and saw till the bark is all gone then I flip to the final face and consult my cheat sheet. For example if I am sawing 8/4 I might look at the cant at the 10.5" mark and see that will yield a clean finished face but if I was at my next mark (12-5/8") it would not yield a clean board but I might be able to start at 11-5/8", saw one 4/4 board then switch my SS to 2-1/8" drops then finish the cant. I saved the 4/4 board I might have lost, I ended my last cut exactly on 2" where I wanted to be without a thick or thin dog board.

After a while you get to where you remember common start points for common lumber such as 10.5" for 8/4 or 10" for 4/4, etc. But for other sizes I check the sheet. One more thing I don't have to remember or compute on the fly.

Does that answer the value of the cheat sheet?
Howard Green

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 06, 2019, 08:27:01 PM
 Does that answer the value of the cheat sheet?
Yes it does and thank you. 
I guess my math skills being second nature and memory are such that I never thought of it that way and I do take it for granted.  My wife really gets on my case for "rubbing" peoples noses in it. 

thecfarm

I need at least 2 weeks,3 is better so I can get it off from work. Or plan for a Thursday or a Sunday,most times I have them days off.

Magicman

Having a Cheat Sheet is sorta like having a road map, whether it's in your head or on paper.  You had better know where you are going before you leave home.  Starting at the correct height on a log/cant insures that you saw uniform lumber and arrive at the correct height for your dog board.  My Cheat Sheet is laminated to the inside of the control cover, but it is seldom looked at anymore.  After over 16 years and over a million bf of lumber sawed, those numbers are etched to the backside of my eyeballs.  :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Yes MM that is a good analogy.

Load, level, and the first cut gets set so that the opposite cut lands you on your first target mark or within 1 inch of target. (a wind board in my case).

I look at the ruler and set to that mark and I am off.

When I open a log I do first 2 cuts, 1 trash 1 1x? to edge or wind board, and flip 90* instead of 180* and do that again so I have both sides open, Then I cut the other 2 side of the cant to desired size. The next 2 to 4 cuts take me to finished cant size. If its 4 cuts means theres a wind board to come off each side or a 1x? or some times a 2x? that will get edged. those dimensions depend on the cut list I have in hand or head from the customer.

Crossroads

Congratulations on the new mill! If you get the 40 wide, you won't regret it, especially if you have any amount of big wood in your area. I do wish I had gotten the bigger engine, but the 26hp does fine, even with the turbo7's as long as I don't get too greedy on the wider cuts. Enjoy....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!