iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where I Used to Work

Started by 4x4American, February 02, 2015, 12:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Yesterday, I stopped by the farm where sawdust made it's way into my blood.  I haven't been there in a few years.  Man has his operation grown.  Used to be he just had the mobile dimension mill and a small kiln that could hold about 1500 bdft.  Now he's put in another bigger kiln, he's got two oliver planers, a jointer, laser guided edger, awesome sawdust collection system, and alot of other things that I don't really know what they do!  He still has the mobile dimension mill, but he's ordered the biggest Baker mill that is made with a 65hp Cummins in it.  They are bringing it to him at the Boonville Woodsmen Days Fest in August 2015 to save him the $2500 shipping cost.  He also got a Wright Sharpner and IDK what kind of setter.  He also got this firewood processor type unit the day I visited.  I didn't see a make/model, it's blue, it has two wedges on each side, loader arms, and a conveyor.  Looks like you put a round up on the deck and it splits it by pushing down.  I think the idea is to have a person working on each side.  There was all sorts of stuff going on.  He also added a honey operation, but a bear came down from the woods and ruined 5 hives.  I was happy to see that his operation is doing well.  His current helper seems to be halfway decent too. 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Actually it's a 65hp cummins.  Anyways he said he's getting all the bells and whistles.  The longest deck available, 3 log clamps, boards return, debarker, etc.  I just looked at their site, it says that it weighs around 8,000lbs, but what I don't get, it says that they use surge brakes??  I thought surge brakes are awful and that mfg's cut that stuff out?
Boy, back in my day..

jueston

it sounds like he did much better after you left  :D :) ;)

its always good to see people succeeding though, how many employees does he have, it sounds like it would take several to keep all those machines working to there capacity.

4x4American

haha!  The worker who replaced me after I quit was really slow apparently and he told me that he got alot more done with me around.  Anyways, I think he's only got one helper but I don't know.  I was there on a saturday and he only had one guy.  He was busy working on a T+G flooring order so he couldn't really talk I just walked around and played with his dogs for a little bit.  There was the beekeeper guy there too.  He has a big maple syrup operation that he had developed in the time I was working there.  Big old evaporator, reverse osmosis machine, has about 3 miles of sap lines on 120 acres on a hill side up north about 20 min, has 3 main lines, alot of laterals and a vacuum pump and big bulk tanks that I loved to clean  ;D  Also does buckets on 20 acres at the farm.  Not sure when he's going to have time for everything!  Wish I took some pictures of his newest things.  Where he setup the new money adding equipment is the old barn I helped pour concrete floor in some time ago. 

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!