iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dump trailer log arch / winch setup

Started by Jimmysmill13, November 04, 2018, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmysmill13

I just finished up modifying my dump trailer with a 13000lbs winch and log arch. Just sharing some photos and video for everyone.

milkie62

I love it . A great use for a dump trailer. I had a small mowing business and have a 7x12 dump trailer that would be a great project to do. My trailer has a full width landscape gate so to keep from hitting dirt the log could be winched up blocked and rolled right into the trailer with no lifting.

kelLOGg

Nice job and welding, too. What are the dimensions of the steel in the arch? How easily does it disassemble?
Bob  
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Lawg Dawg

That's top notch!  Thanks for sharing!  
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 05, 2018, 05:30:40 AM
Nice job and welding, too. What are the dimensions of the steel in the arch? How easily does it disassemble?
Bob  
I used 1.5" x 3" tubing and has a .25" wall thickness. Removes by pulling 4 pins. Its removed fairly easy but it dose have alittle weight to it. I can lift it into place myself. Better with 2 people tho. 

Magicman

Great idea and the craftsmanship is superb.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

Does your dump pump have the guts to dump a trailer full of logs?

Jimmysmill13

Quote from: sealark37 on November 05, 2018, 01:47:08 PM
Does your dump pump have the guts to dump a trailer full of logs?
Yes it will lift a load of logs with ease.  The trailer uses a scissors lift and is rated for 20000lbs. 

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Travis James

I have plans to do the same thing to my dump trailer. Have you made any modifications? Is there anything you would do differently? 
Rookie Sawyer

Walnut Beast

Looks good. It looks a little light duty how you have your roller mounted. Might want to beef up

mike_belben

Those rollers will wreck a cable by sucking it into the corner and jamming really bad.  Keep snapring pliers and a punch in the truck, You have to take the long roller pin out to free it.  Pain in the ash.

Nice fab work.
Praise The Lord

Brad_bb

I like the concept of the dump trailer.  The photo makes the arch look a bit short compared to Matt Cremona's for example.  Taller I think gives more leverage.  Can you show the mounting of the Arch to the trailer?  How heavy a log can you put in the trailer?  

It's funny, I would like a log arch trailer, but don't have time (or a heavy enough welder) to make one.  I'm surprised that no one makes one for sale.  At least has a good design for a trailer like this offered at an optional upgrade.  I suppose most would rather just sell trailers and not all the additional issues of customization.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Walnut Beast

Looks like he is using the stake pockets with pins to hold in of the framework he made

mike_belben

I think its a big jump up in liability category to get product liability coverage on a overhead lifting apparatus vs just a trailer.  Exponentially higher odds someone gets hurt by cable loading logs vs the relatively safe operation of regular utility trailer duties. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

And btw guys thats a fixed arch, not a pivoting one.  Well, other than the arc it travels by raising the bed. 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!