iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw Mods and/or Repairs

Started by VA-Sawyer, November 04, 2003, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

Ok, here are some photo's of the saw I bought from an  engineer at Woodmizer. He got it as part of a trade in deal:

Notice the extra tubing and bed rail on the front.

Same thing on the back.

I'm still debating on the idea of cutting away all the extra steel. What do the rest of you think ?

How do you like these stacks ?

Rick

Tom

I know what the guy must have been trying to do but putting something there that would tear up your knees doesn't seem to be worth it.  I would take it off too.

EZ

So what was the purprose with them. It looks like the bunks are only a few inches away from each other.
EZ

Bibbyman

Looks like they had it fixed up for some kind of outfeed tables or rollers.  I'd loose them if I couldn't figure out how to use them.

I put some exaust extentions on our Onan engine on our 94 LT40.  Just some conduit pipe. It cut down on the heat and exaust fumes.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

VA,
If you are going to saw trees that have stress in them, the add on bunks could be used to clamp your cants too when you are going to slice them up. Helps to have your lumber all the same thickness. The bunks are nicely made, so I would not be in a hurry torch them off.

C_Miller

CJM

Tom

It might not be broke,but, the first time that stuff gouged my leg or mashed my finger, it would come off'n there quicker Jack Spratt. :)

C_Miller

Tom,

your response brought to mind a ponderonce. When you were on site for a customer did you ever think about charging by the mile walked around the mill?

C
CJM

Tom

:D I'm not sure I would know how to do that but then, again, I don't think I had any customers that could afford to pay me in that manner. :D

miles and miles and miles and........     think Sagan :D

VA-Sawyer

If you look close, you can see ( maybe ) that the extra bunks are not adjustable. They both slope downhill as you move away from the main tube.   If I need the support for long boards, I would be inclined to add 2 more of the "Pivot Bed Rails".

The only use I have had for the extra metal so far, was to tie on a couple of travel totes to carry all the extra parts he gave me when I brought home the saw.  

One change I'm going to make tomorrow, is to wire a "nuetral safety switch" into the starter circuit. Almost had to change my shorts after it started with the blade engaged!!!

Rick

ElectricAl

Our first change to our saw was adding an extra swinging bed rail.

If you saw 21' , you need support for 21' ::)

After replacing the 12v hydraulic motor 3 times and the pump twice. We decided to convert to AC.  Now we have a 5hp hydraulic power pack. We still use the factory valve bodies to control the functions.

Boy our portable sawmill is really becoming not so portable any more. Power cable, hydraulic lines, stationary legs, no axle, and the hitch :o, where's the hitch  ;D

Kinda nice just hanging out at home :D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ElectricAl

In our post above I mentioned replacing the 12v. motors. The motors just had a lot of run time on them. By no means were the motors or pumps faulty. Things just wear out ;)

We saw for grade 6 day a week year round, so the hydraulic system gets a real work out. ;D

Our power pack was custom built by Monarch Hydraulics, the same manufacturer as the 12v system.

The biggest benefit of the power pack is the sawhead can be at the tail end of the saw when loading and turning logs. Good visibility ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Thank You Sponsors!