iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For the Northerners waiting for Spring

Started by Nomad, March 24, 2014, 06:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

It's on it's way.  Be patient.  But until then, here are a few pics from further south.
     Yesterday was a nice day so a couple of us took a little ride down to Rodman Reservoir, south of Palatka Fl. 
     Here's how we got there.

A couple of pics of the reservoir from the dam.

Anhingas resting on the barrier below the dam.  They're diving, fish eating birds similar to a loon.

A shot of the canal below the dam.  If you look closely just above the center of the photo, there's a gator swimming around.  The next shot is a poor close up of him.  He wasn't big; maybe 7 or 8'.

The areas below the dam are pretty places.  Here's a few more shots of the area and folks fishing on a really nice day.

Thanks for riding along! :)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

I see that those cypress are ready for Spring, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Man,that sure does look good. I saw some guy out the other day riding on the same thing you was on. The main roads are good. But alot of the back roads have water from the melting snow on the roads. And ice too if the temps are down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

I am sitting here watching the lake snow falling and enjoying your pictures. My Harley has been parked since last October just waiting for the snow to melt and the roads to be free of sand.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

giant splinter

Nice photos Nomad ..... looks like the gators are happy, count me in with 21incher ...... its the mud season and most of the snow has melted or washed off by the rain, I cant wait to dig out my Harley  and get into the wind.
roll with it

petefrom bearswamp

You really know how to hurt a guy.
great pics tho.
9 degrees here this AM and still over a foot of snow in my woods.
to add injury to insult my outdoor furnace sprung a leak about 3 weeks ago and had to shut down yesterday as it was leaking about 4 5 gals per day.
Now on oil for the remainder of the heating season.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

How depressing! ;)

We have the same here as petefrom bearswamp. It was spitting snow a bit ago, but the sun is out now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

:D Mich,Ohio,Indiana,NY or Pa are never going to look like Fla.Although as much as they talk about global warming I've yet to see an egret in the yard or a flamingo wading in the creek .I did see a redtail hawk snatch a mouse from a road ditch though yesterday coming home from work if that accounts for anything .One less mouse maybe .

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sprucebunny

Nice pictures !

If it was just "a foot of snow in the woods" that would be an improvement over the chest deep stuff out there....
I can barely see an F350 in my backyard.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Autocar

Nice to see something green instead of a white landscape,thanks for scharing your photos.
Bill

Nomad

Quote from: doctorb on March 24, 2014, 05:21:31 PM
Where are the bass boats?

There were a couple way north on the lake, and one or two way down the canal, but not many out at all.  I was surprised by that.  If I hadn't been on the bike I'd have been fishing too.
     The gizzard shad were thick below the dam.  Must have been 30 or 40 ospreys and a couple of eagles fishing.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Nomad

Quote from: Autocar on March 24, 2014, 06:35:49 PM
Nice to see something green instead of a white landscape,thanks for scharing your photos.

You're most welcome.  I'm not trying to pick on Northerners; I grew up there.  I remember driving a car over the roads I wanted to ride later to make sure they were dry and free of ice this time of year.  I also remember how much I craved seeing something GREEN!!! 
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

elk42

Caught 6 catfish saturday night about 2 # each. GOOD; GOOD;GOOD;
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Peter Drouin

Nice pics , Nice bikes, Nice green grass, But no mountains. ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Ate some fried crappie fillets today (cappie that were caught on Saturday by my nephew).  Mmmmmmmmm.

Doctorb,

The bream and shellcracker will be bedding soon  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 24, 2014, 08:20:13 PM
Nice pics , Nice bikes, Nice green grass, But no mountains. ;D ;)

Unfortunately, no.  It's pretty much flat as a table around here. :'(
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 24, 2014, 11:45:28 AM
:D Mich,Ohio,Indiana,NY or Pa are never going to look like Fla.Although as much as they talk about global warming I've yet to see an egret in the yard or a flamingo wading in the creek .I did see a redtail hawk snatch a mouse from a road ditch though yesterday coming home from work if that accounts for anything .One less mouse maybe .

We used to get egrets in Minnesota in the summer. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 25, 2014, 09:33:01 AMWe used to get egrets in Minnesota in the summer. ;D 

I am not eating an Egret.  Yuck !!!  I'll stick with my Grits.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jdtuttle

Spring arrived today. Can get out in the woods & look for sheds now.
Have a great day

Raider Bill

It's nice riding around the Rodman Reservoir / Ocala area especially coming from this concrete jungle.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on March 27, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 25, 2014, 09:33:01 AMWe used to get egrets in Minnesota in the summer. ;D 

I am not eating an Egret.  Yuck !!!  I'll stick with my Grits.   :D

I thought they went with grits, hence the name egrits. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

sandhills

Not only will every thread eventually turn to food but now they also seem to turn to grits directly after  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!