iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log trailer arch height

Started by fishfighter, November 18, 2016, 07:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

I'm building a log trailer and I will be installing a arch on the back end. I seen a few of y'all do this. How high did y'all make the arch?  What sizes tubing did y'all use? Looking to go pick that up today. I have a old warn wench that I will be installing to lift the logs.

Those that did, could y'all post some pictures of the rigging too? I do have some ideas, but proving systems are always good.

My trailer that came from a camper that was free.

After I put the backhoe to it. ;D

Yesterdays work. The trailer was 32' long, now 24' long and I am beefing it up.

Got a bunch more of welding to do today.

bags

I built mine from 2"X2" square tube .25 wall, and its 5 1/2' tall.

I've got it set up so it will mount in any of the stake pockets on the trailer. The first logs I loaded I had it in the end pockets on the trailer to see how it was going to operate. I found that by moving it a couple feet towards the front (pic) of the trailer, I can stack logs higher and have more control of the material coming onto the trailer without the arch running past center.

I have a center hook welded to the cross bar, and found I need to weld another hook on each corner of the cross bar for loading second and third lifts of logs. When loading logs onto the left or right log groves on the second lift, if your pull'in logs up from the center of the arch, it wont let them lay down into the grove and they can roll off the trailer. If you slide the lift chain to the outside of the arch--- it will load the outside logs strait into the next lifts grooves. You could load in the center on the next lift and then use a cant hook to roll the logs into the outside grooves--- that's just more work, and I prefer to let the arch do the work.

There is a removable 12,000 lbs winch on the front of the trailer. You wont nead near that size winch to load logs.

Brandon1986

Once you guys get those logs on there between the fenders how do you get them off again? Will the log arch work in reverse or do you simply use a tractor or something equivalent too?

fishfighter

I will be using my backhoe to get logs off. I'm doing this trailer so I don't have to take equipment on the road.

So, 2x2x.25 holds. Thinking maybe 2x3x.25. Going to hold out till more people post. I do like that you pointed out how you moved your arch towards the front of the trailer. Thanks.

Oh, welded in 3 more 2x6 cross beams this morning. I'm out of iron and time to go shopping. ;D

pine

Quote from: bags on November 18, 2016, 08:16:23 AM
I built mine from 2"X2" square tube .25 wall, and its 5 1/2' tall.

I've got it set up so it will mount in any of the stake pockets on the trailer. The first logs I loaded I had it in the end pockets on the trailer to see how it was going to operate. I found that by moving it a couple feet towards the front (pic) of the trailer, I can stack logs higher and have more control of the material coming onto the trailer without the arch running past center.

I have a center hook welded to the cross bar, and found I need to weld another hook on each corner of the cross bar for loading second and third lifts of logs. When loading logs onto the left or right log groves on the second lift, if your pull'in logs up from the center of the arch, it wont let them lay down into the grove and they can roll off the trailer. If you slide the lift chain to the outside of the arch--- it will load the outside logs strait into the next lifts grooves. You could load in the center on the next lift and then use a cant hook to roll the logs into the outside grooves--- that's just more work, and I prefer to let the arch do the work.

There is a removable 12,000 lbs winch on the front of the trailer. You wont nead near that size winch to load logs.

I have been planning on doing this but have not gotten around to doing it as of yet so am following this for ideas.

Looking at your pictures I have a question. 
What is the purpose of the part that I have marked with a red "circle"?

Kbeitz

I had to use my arch today. My arch is 6 feet tall and sets back 3.5 feet
from the back of the trailer. The only change I want to make is some
kind of buffer on the chains for when the arch swings to the front of the
trailer. Some day I'm going to snap a chain if I cant find a way to slow
down the forward swing. The tubing is double 2x4" I just used what I had.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brad_bb

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 18, 2016, 05:35:15 PM
... some
kind of buffer on the chains for when the arch swings to the front of the
trailer.

Kbeitz, can you explain a little more.  I'm not understanding.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

fishfighter

What he is saying is that at a point, the log moves forward, swinging the arch forward to a point that the arch wants to collapse towards the front. :o You don't want that to happen.

K, after pricing some tubing, I was like WTH? $80+ tax for a 20' joint. :o I do have some 2.5x10"x.25 Ibeams and I think I can make that work and also prevent the arch to shift forward. Going to draw up a working plan and see what is what. I like the idea of free and over kill when it comes to weight. :D 

Kbeitz

Quote from: fishfighter on November 18, 2016, 07:31:31 PM
What he is saying is that at a point, the log moves forward, swinging the arch forward to a point that the arch wants to collapse towards the front. :o You don't want that to happen.

K, after pricing some tubing, I was like WTH? $80+ tax for a 20' joint. :o I do have some 2.5x10"x.25 Ibeams and I think I can make that work and also prevent the arch to shift forward. Going to draw up a working plan and see what is what. I like the idea of free and over kill when it comes to weight. :D

I want it to happen... That's what moves the log forward most of the way.
I just don't want it to happen so hard. I comes down with a bang.
I need to make a rubber spring.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bags

pine--- those brackets are for a swing foot on each side of the arch for when I lay the arch down and unhook the winch line to pull logs forward. If I layed the arch the whole way down on the back of the trailer, when I rehooked the winch and pulled--- the heavy winch would have a strait pull against the arch and bend it instead of lifting it. I only use the feet when I'm loading only three or four logs. Sorry their not in a picture. When I load a full width deck, I don't need the feet. You can see in the third picture how the arch will lay down against the 14"X17' outside logs and I can then unhook the line if I wish. That's the reason I have the uprights on the arch built at an angle.

bags

Fishfighter--- you probably will have more options for the swivel mount with an extra inch of width on your tube to work with using the 2"X3". When I load, I never go past center with the arch, so I never have the entire weight of the timber on it.

Raym

I still have an old propane tank hauler for sale in the for sale section. May be worth a trip to virginia
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

fishfighter

Quote from: Raym on November 19, 2016, 06:18:59 AM
I still have an old propane tank hauler for sale in the for sale section. May be worth a trip to virginia

Now that is a bit to far for me. Like about 1300 miles. :D

Classic1

It depends on how big of logs you want to load.  Bigger logs= bigger arch.  Here's the arch I built with the largest log I've ever loaded with it.  It was 10k lbs+ and my  6ton equipment trailer was not happy when we unloaded it.

Lucas dsm23
Norwood hd36

WLC

Quote from: Classic1 on November 19, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
It depends on how big of logs you want to load.  Bigger logs= bigger arch.  Here's the arch I built with the largest log I've ever loaded with it.  It was 10k lbs+ and my  6ton equipment trailer was not happy when we unloaded it.

Good Golly Miss Molly!  That's a BIGUN.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Ain't no way this old man would ever try to move a log, that big. I will be targeting SYP logs no bigger then 24".

I don't have any pine trees on my place. Just all hardwood trees. I'm looking to build a timber frame shed/open barn  for all my equipment and sawmill out of SYP. I can get all the SYP logs for free, but I will have to travel 50+ miles one way to get them.

DanG cold weather and wind along with coming down with a cold has me shut down for a few days. 35F with 15-20 mph winds just don't cut it for me. :D Just don't know how you guys up north do it. :D

Classic1

My arch is pretty tall, sounds like you just need one that is tall enough to for you to walk under without hitting your head.

I built mine with fixed arms that are removable on the front side of the arch.  That way the arch is fixed upright at 90 degrees. That allows me to just winch the logs up my back ramp, then I disconnect the winch line from the top pulley on the arch and just winch them the rest of the way up.  Seemed like a lot less fiddling around and reposition, adjusting chains, etc.  Plus my arch is heavy, you can't lift it up with a single person. 
Lucas dsm23
Norwood hd36

Kbeitz

I have chains on my arch swing so it will lift the logs up and over
the ones already on the trailer. I will be adding a gas powered
winch. I have different 12v winches to use but ether they are
to small to pull a 30" x 20' log up on to the trailer or they are so
big that they kill my batteries before the job is done.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

The cold is easy to handle. The grits thin out the blood and makes a person weak against the cold.  ;D
But saying that,32° feels cold now. Mid February feels like a heat wave.  ;D  And that is true.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pine

Quote from: thecfarm on November 20, 2016, 09:23:05 AM
The cold is easy to handle. The grits thin out the blood and makes a person weak against the cold.  ;D
But saying that,32° feels cold now. Mid February feels like a heat wave.  ;D  And that is true.

Now I can really appreciated the point @thecfarm just made.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 20, 2016, 09:03:14 AM
I have chains on my arch swing so it will lift the logs up and over
the ones already on the trailer. I will be adding a gas powered
winch. I have different 12v winches to use but ether they are
to small to pull a 30" x 20' log up on to the trailer or they are so
big that they kill my batteries before the job is done.

My crazy arch is 8' tall made from 4" sprinkler pipe because that is what I had.  I might be cutting it down to 6' - pretty unmanageable size!  Heavy but can move it barely by myself.

KB,  What size winches do you have? 

I need to get one to go after some logs.  Using the log weight calculator, I'm planning on cutting them to 3,500lbs.  A 30" butt to a 14' length of Sugar Pine.  I was planning on par bucking because of how they lay on the side of a slight hill (have to pull up hill) and figure rolling will be less of a load then trying to arch them.  But I think I'll take the arch along to try it out.  I was looking at the 2500lb Badland (HF) 12v winch.  Is that enough?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

I have ....

The 2800 is not strong enough on single strand. It might work doubled.
The 19,500 dose the job for around 3 logs before it drains the battery.

I would think a 8000 would be great.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Classic1

I've got a 10klb. Smittylbilt x20 winch and it has been great.  Battery lasts a good while with it, it's totally waterproof, has a wired or wireless controller.  Very happy with it and was very reasonable priced.  Get a good group 31 battery for extended life. I'm going to wire up some power cables on my truck that go to back bumper and have the winch quick disconnect plug in for heavy use. Then you can just keep the truck running as needed.
Lucas dsm23
Norwood hd36

WLC

Quote from: thecfarm on November 20, 2016, 09:23:05 AM

Don't think its the grits. Gotta be something else.  I live in AK and still eat grits fairly regularly and the cold doesn't bother me.  I hear ya on the heat wave. You get use to the cold (real cold, like below zero) and then it warms up to 20 or thirty and I want to go out with no coat on cause its warm.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Thank You Sponsors!