iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to saw for stress

Started by VT-Woodchuck, September 17, 2011, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT-Woodchuck

At the golf course, where I work, a large (30") Black Cherry fell on a green - courtesy of Irene. It had been leaning towards the green for years and we had discussed how to fall it so that it wouldn't land on the green. Now it's down and cut into 8' logs. I have marked the top edge of the logs and my question is: What is the best way to mill these logs to minimize the effects of stress? If the tree is solid, and I suspect it is, I hate to waste any of the lumber. BTW, 3 8' logs before a limb!
TIA for any and all help.

sigidi

Can you post some pics of the end grain of the logs so we can see the heart.
Always willing to help - Allan

WDH

One approach is to square the cant and then take a board off the first face, then rotate 180 degrees and take another board.  Turning the cant frequently sometimes will relieve some of the stress.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Best advice I can give is to just keep an eye on the ends of the cant as you saw!

If either end starts to raise, turn 180° and take off a couple of boards.

Just keep an eye on the ends of the cant and you can't go wrong!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

the more stressed i am when i saw the more stress sawing relieves. ;D

if those logs are pretty good sized and the pith seems to be in the center on both ends there may not be very much ''reaction wood'' in those logs. one way to know for sure, put the saw to it and let us know.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

zopi

What he said...plus watch the boards as they come off the top of the cant, they may bow up in the center or on the ends..will gove you an idea of where the stress is in the log....you will also want to weight the top of the stack with these sorts...helps keep the boards straight....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Older Cherry trees generally have a "heart check".  Be sure to take it into consideration before opening the faces.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Watch the cant and the boards both as the cut is made the board movement will tell you where the stress is. Sometimes the board will move right or left and sometimes it will move up or down. Just remember the direction that the board is moving and the cant will be trying to go the opposite direction.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

I think you're getting stressed out too soon.   I suspect a log that big and only 8' long from a tree that made 3 8' cuts before the first limb would have minimal stress to begin with. 

It takes a lot of stress in a log to get into trouble on 8' logs.  And usually those kinds of logs are small and have a lot of sweep and or big knots.

If you're looking for the most cathedral grain, then you may want to consider barrel sawing them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

inwoodcutter

On leaner trees I try to saw most of my boards off of the two sides of the log that are perpendicular to the lean or crook, that is, NOT on the top or under side of the lean. These boards may dry with more crook but will have less bow.

Dan
Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

Magicman

For framing lumber I would do just the opposite.  I would saw down from the horn or hump side.  It is all dependent upon the use for the lumber, and the builder's ability to use or straighten crooked or bowed lumber.  There are really no "one size fits all" rules, just like there are no right or wrong answers.  The log makes the rules, and we abide by them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

Daft luthier's way of thinking, why not split in four each log and do a nice quatersawing? That should take care of the stresses.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WDH

If you are sawing along and the end of the board rises up and slaps you up side the head, you are dealing with a stressed out log  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

inwoodcutter

Quote from: Magicman on September 19, 2011, 02:16:59 PM
For framing lumber I would do just the opposite.  I would saw down from the horn or hump side.  It is all dependent upon the use for the lumber, and the builder's ability to use or straighten crooked or bowed lumber.  There are really no "one size fits all" rules, just like there are no right or wrong answers.  The log makes the rules, and we abide by them.

That makes sense, thanks. I rarely saw for framing lumber so I don't always think like that. Usually I'm going for grade for furniture.

Dan
Dan Warner
"there's money in that slab"

VT-Woodchuck

The first picture is of the cherry as it fell and the next is the second log from the root ball - 22" small end. There is some heart check but the 2 - 8' lower logs are solid. The pith is not exactly centered but not as far off as I had imagined. The next one up is a 10' that has a little rot due to a dead branch. The top two logs are 6+ ft and are crooked.  Thanks for the comments/advice and I'll report back if I find any abnormalities in the lumber.

WDH

Nice.  Very little sapwood, too.

Thank You Sponsors!