iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simalock vs B/F?

Started by Celeriac, September 18, 2011, 02:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeriac

I have been mulling over the idea of having a new main saw made for my mill. When I talked to Payne their recommendation was to abandon the old 3 pattern in favor of the B/F.  Whilst looking through Simonds website I came across a section about their Simalock pattern, but there isn't a whole lot of detail.  So, is there any real world advantage to the Simalock over the standard pattern?
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

sawsmith

I can't think of any reason to use the simaloc over the B or F Pattern. Simaloc's are more common in Canada then in the States. I can tell you that of all the saws i have hammered for customers from NY,Pa,MD,OH,VW and DE none were Simaloc. Not sure what your Horsepower situation is but i would recommeng going with the F Pat. If your low HP I would tell Terry at BH Payne to put 4-6 less teeth then what is standard. A tipical 54" would have 48-50 teeth so if HP is a problem drop back to 42-44 with a F pat. Also B or F are alot easier to find in stock from Simonds Distributors in the east. FYI B & F Pattern use the same tooth only difference is the shank.

Thank You Sponsors!