iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filled up my birdfeeders

Started by sprucebunny, August 24, 2007, 07:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

We had a cold snap in New England , recently, and I've witnessed some species heading south, already. Some start south about now naturally and some are urged on by cold nights.

Since they may find slim pickins on thier way south, I'm hoping they will pause here to stock up ;D

If you don't have a bear problem, maybe you could put your feeders out early, too. There have been lots of goldfinches around that weren't coming by, before.

Songbirds aren't far behind amphibians in thier over-all 'threatened' status.

Thanks
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Goldfinches don't leave, they turn a dull color in winter. ;)

We have tons of song birds in the woods we are thinning on the mountain and the saws don't even scare them off. Can't begin to name the birds behind all the sounds.  I do agree some birds are threatened. The barn swallow, bobolink, killdeer, whip-poor-will numbers are way down. Just seen a flock of night hawk the other day, first I noticed in 10 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I dont take mine down ... Maybe I should , but I dont . I do go through a lot more feed once the cold sets in  :o  a lot more .

My bird menu is as fallows .   

• Black sun flower seeds  ( lots )
  • Niger seeds
  • Cracked corn
  • whole corn

• Home made suet and grains
  • Porc fat

• Mixed bird feed

What do you all put out for our feathered friends . ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

gary

Does the corn draw rats? I can't put any corn out here or I will have more rats at the feeder than birds.

pappy

Like Marcel I don't take down my feeders and just put out ultra clean black oiled sunflower seeds, cracked corn for the song birds and hang up suet wrapped up in hardware cloth or wooden / hardware cloth suet feeders for the wood peckers....

We also broadcast cracked corn along the woods road going outback, attracts the Partridge, Blue jays and others into view... Adds life to to our favorite woodsy lane on our way to and around camp  :)  :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

SwampDonkey

Haven't fed the birds in a  few years here. Used to get about 30 blue jays at a time and some chickadees. Once in awhile a cardinal, but rare. Cedar waxwing would show up and the occasional red pole and red eyed vero.  I have not seen an evening grosbeak in years. They use to fleece the keys off the boxelder.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Rats .... !!!  Unless you are talking 'bout those tree rats ... well yep , got my trustfull .22 for them .  ;)  But the corn is out there more for the Turkeys , Blue jays and other bigger birds .   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Coon

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 24, 2007, 07:38:06 PM
Goldfinches don't leave, they turn a dull color in winter. ;)

We have tons of song birds in the woods we are thinning on the mountain and the saws don't even scare them off. Can't begin to name the birds behind all the sounds.  I do agree some birds are threatened. The barn swallow, bobolink, killdeer, whip-poor-will numbers are way down. Just seen a flock of night hawk the other day, first I noticed in 10 years.

If ya want some barn swallows Donk.  Come n' get em.   Got way too many of them around here.  They make way too much mess but do us a favour by eating those Saskatchewan Gators (Mosquitoes)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

They don't all make a mess. Some carry the waste from their young out doors and drop it. Some are slobs, just like people. ;D Father used to leave the potato shed doors open all summer for the swallows.  :)

Coon

They also continuously build new houses out of mud under the eaves of buildings here.  They have several batches every summer and make a new house for each batch. 
  Too cold for them here yet.  Won't be too much longer though.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!