iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? on Compression on a Husky 362 XPG

Started by MiMod, March 25, 2018, 05:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiMod

Just got done installing new crank seals on a 362XP.  It was running about 125 lbs compression before & after the crank seals were installed, its still the same.  I did pressure test on it after the rebuild and found a small air leak on the carb boot where it hooks to the cyl.  After looking it over it appeared that the clamp holding the carb boot to the cyl had slid forward.  So the only way to get to the clamp was to pull the jug....So I did that & now that I have the/Jug/piston exposed,  I was wondering if I should ring it.... Jug and piston look good....   But I was thinkin the compression should be around 150lbs....  Is that correct ?   & if I ring it do I need to hone the cyl ?     Thanks, any advice would be appreciated !

wild262

I would re-ring it in a heartbeat now that the jug is off.  Esp. with that compression.  A new Caber ring or rings should put it back up to at least 140 lbs. +. As far as honeing the cylinder, I wouldn,t.  Some guys do, very lightly.  You don't want to get aggressive with it if you do. 

MiMod

wild262

Quote from: MiMod on March 25, 2018, 10:59:57 PM
Thanks, I'm gonna ring it.

Welcome to the site :)       I'm a newby too!   Lovin it! ;D

MiMod

Can't say I know the total history of this saw, but when I started looking around I noticed the base gasket was squished out on the pto side & covering about 20% of  the lower transfer.  It was stuck to the bottom of the jug.  Could see where that could happen during assembly  cause there is a couple of plastic bump outs on the case right in that area.   So I reverse engineered the assembly & first stuck the base gasket to the top of the case & watched what I was doing setting the jug.   Makes me wonder if that was part of the compression issue cause it was borderline on leaking out the Pto side.

wild262

Good catch.  If your base gasket is not sealing that won't have an effect on your compression.  You will just have an air leak, which can score your P/C.  All your compression is made above the rings.  So you did right in re-ringing it. 

Thank You Sponsors!