iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

F250 - 6.0 Diesel Injector Stiction and Hot Shot Secret

Started by submarinesailor, November 23, 2011, 02:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

I have been having problems with my 6.0 diesel on some of the cooler/cold mornings.  It runs just Ok at idle, but when I start moving and the RPMs get ot about 1500.  It feels like it is missing.  But, just about the time the motor gets warmed up real good, it purrs just like it always has.  Getting about 20.7 to 21 MPG at 62 MPH or 1750 RPMs - the sweet spot for these motors.

So, I started doing a lot of research on line about this and found this tech paper on STICTION: http://www.alliantpower.com/pdf/APTB-0109-watermark.pdf.   There is a product called Hot Shot Secret that according to the manufacturers was made just for this problem.  Again, according to their web site it was developed at the request of International because of all the warranty failures they were having on the 6.0 injectors - we all have heard the stories about just how bad they were.  I have only had one injector fail on me in 253,500 miles. The coil physical came apart due to the loosing of a nut on it.

Over on several of the diesel forums, we talk about this Stiction being caused by small deposits of ash, carbonized/burnt oil, in the coil and spool valve area of the injector.  Hot Shot Secret is supposed to clean this out and make the motor run like new. So, here come the point of all this - do any of you diesel mechanics know anything about this Stiction or the HSS.  There is a competitor called REV-X that makes the same claim.

I'm asking this because if I can help it, I don't want to spend $3,000 on new injectors.  He!! core charges alone are $180.00 per injector. Been running the AMSOIL 15-40 in it since day one and the only thing I have replaced has been the one injector and 2 alternators.  So, it has been real good to me.  I can't afford to replace it so; I need to run it for a lot longer.

lumberjack48

I would run a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, should clean the Ole girl right up. I would watch where i bought fuel, theres a lot of bad fuel out there.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

beenthere

LJ
How do you tell bad fuel when watching for it? How do you test it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

submarinesailor

Quote from: lumberjack48 on November 23, 2011, 07:46:21 PM
I would run a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, should clean the Ole girl right up. I would watch where i bought fuel, theres a lot of bad fuel out there.

There are no problems on the fuel side of the injectors.  I run Power Service in each an ever tank.  It's not the best according to a test I read, but it's in the top 10 of the tested fuel additives.  I read something about fuel a while back that said you should buy your fuel at a station that runs thru a lot of it, like the bigger truck stops.  The reason was 2 fold: 1. the big truck companies won't put up with them feeding their trucks bad fuel. 2.  The more fuel they run thru, the better the water is disbursed into smaller particles.

The problem is in on the operating side.; these injectors are opened and closed with the same oil that lubricates the mains and other bears, just at a much higher pressure - about 3000psi if I remember correctly.

Bruce

snowstorm

the mystery oil isnt a bad idear. the trouble with ulsf is there isnt a lot of lube in it. its dryer than it used to be. back in the old days some used atf dump a little in the fuel tank. cummins at one time had a set up that took a little engine oil and feed it into the fuel tank

Al_Smith

Just a stab in the dark here .What would happen if you just dumped a little chainsaw mix oil in the tank ?It is a diesel and once it gets in the cylinder with the fuel it will burn it .

So I assume because I don't really know .Evidently the pintle side of that injecter gets lube from the engine oil ?If so Solder Seal makes a product called gunk .This stuff will inclog a stuck hydraulic valve lifter in a gummed up gas engine in about 5 miles of driving .It might work on those injecters .

lumberjack48

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

Go down to diesel injector cleaning, i did a lot of reading, to clean with out removing this is about the best i found.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

never used it in a diesel. chainsaw and outboard yes. evinrude engine tuner is a about the same thing. in outboards it really cleans the inside.

Bobus2003

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 24, 2011, 08:17:30 AM
Just a stab in the dark here .What would happen if you just dumped a little chainsaw mix oil in the tank ?It is a diesel and once it gets in the cylinder with the fuel it will burn it .

So I assume because I don't really know .Evidently the pintle side of that injecter gets lube from the engine oil ?If so Solder Seal makes a product called gunk .This stuff will inclog a stuck hydraulic valve lifter in a gummed up gas engine in about 5 miles of driving .It might work on those injecters .

Adding 2 stroke oil to fuel is a great way used my many in the diesel world to regain lubricity thats been lost due to ULSD.

submarinesailor, Not uncommon for the 6.0l to end up with a stuck or sticking Spool valve in the injectors. Alot of guys pull injectors and clean them (not an easy job), Heard alot of talk about REV-X, but never used it. Have also heard the same using Seafoam to clean injectors.

I had alot of injector issues on my '06 6.0l and my Ford Mechanic told me too stop running Rotella 15-40 and start running 10-30.

shinnlinger

I like to put synthetic motor oil in my diesel to make up for the lack of sulfur. Goes thru the filter a little easier than marvel, tranny fluid, or 2cycle.   a little acetone and xlene too.  About 2 oz of each per 10 gallons .

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shelbycharger400

bobus2003...
never had a prob with rotella 15/40
parents diesels...  2000. silver... currently with 230,000
the 98 blue one?  had around 130000...traded up
the 94  green
the 92? black one ton ..2 wd (worthless)
the 89  red

all had rotella...  all were 5 spd cummins....all were 12 valve except the 2000...which is 6spd and 24v ho none had engine problems... or tranys.    the 94. i remember needed seals bearings and ball joints, but i was just in high school.  (it was the first plow truck)
step dad kept tradin them in cause everyone at work kept getting new vehicles...   dumb ... lost more in trade in on every one.

Bobus2003

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on November 26, 2011, 09:19:43 PM
bobus2003...
never had a prob with rotella 15/40
parents diesels...  2000. silver... currently with 230,000
the 98 blue one?  had around 130000...traded up
the 94  green
the 92? black one ton ..2 wd (worthless)
the 89  red

all had rotella...  all were 5 spd cummins....all were 12 valve except the 2000...which is 6spd and 24v ho none had engine problems... or tranys.    the 94. i remember needed seals bearings and ball joints, but i was just in high school.  (it was the first plow truck)
step dad kept tradin them in cause everyone at work kept getting new vehicles...   dumb ... lost more in trade in on every one.

I still Run Rotella 15/40 Through my 7.3l's and my 6.0l's. That was just Fords Reason for my issues, instead of actually dealing with the issue.. The truck was a Lemon from the get go. My current 6.0l and my dads 6.0l havent had any issues running Rotella

shelbycharger400

yep...but its not just ford...
they all do it...deny warrenty claims as much as they can... i remember from the dealership .. even one individual almost didnt get an engine replaced Under "warrenty", he saved every reciept from where he bought oil and filter...  and the car had less than 20k on it .     the oil you get at the survice bay is the same oil you buy from walmart, target or any chain store,  they say only additives are different such as teflon ect ect..

And most around here (minnesota) and a few neighbor states, comes out of the same pipeline... in st paul.
yep...all of the bottles of brand names...same pipeline for base oil.  their is only a handfull of bottlers,  then when it comes down to it.... they have to meet the same guidelines .  Really only diffence is price.    When you tell the big 3, on the phone that information....they dont like that you know that.

snowstorm

buy all my oil from canada. along with almost all the fuel and gas up here

Thank You Sponsors!