iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ready for first load

Started by flip, December 12, 2005, 01:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

We are just getting done with our kiln chamber and would like a little heads up.
My kiln is 2X6 construction with R-19 faced with 6mil plastic.  The paneling is 4x8 7/16 paneling.  We will be painting with the aluminized roof paint and caulking all joints.  It is set on a 18X16 4 1/2 " pad.  My internal kiln dimensions are 16" wide 10' deep and 8 1/2" tall.  My kiln is a gently used Ebac LD 3000 with the 2 16" circulating fans.  I know the kiln is probably not capable of getting the internal temp to the magic 140 mark so we are installing a couple of baseboard heaters to give it a little boost. 

Is there anyting I must do prior to running my first load through or to season the kiln?  I hate the thought of screwing up a bunch of cherry or walnut because I didn't do my research.  Any suggestions or hints are appreciated.

Thanks, Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Radar67

Quote from: flip on December 12, 2005, 01:48:16 PM
My internal kiln dimensions are 16" wide 10' deep and 8 1/2" tall.

Are those dimensions correct? Seems awful small.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

flip

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

And 8 ½ feet tall too I suppose.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flip

Errrr. Yep.  You've heard the the saying can't chew gum and walk...I can't talk on the phone and type ;D ::)

Ga_Boy

Flip,

Try a load of Poplar first to get the hang of the particulars, then work your way up to your high dollar products.

If you lose a load of Poplar you want cry as much if you loose a load of Cherry.

Just a thought.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

VA-Sawyer

Flip,
Mark is on the right track about starting with easier woods and working your way up, however, I'm not sure that poplar will tell you much about the kiln. Short of filling the kiln with water from a waterhose, or setting the thing on fire, a load of poplar is almost guarenteed to come out in good shape.  SYP is a little harder to do right. Beech or Hickory is another step up. Oaks can be tougher.   Good luck.
VA-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!