iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my bandmill today

Started by music_boy, October 27, 2003, 01:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

Got my bandmill today 8). If you promise, no laughing!!! I'll tell ya what I got. I won't be get'n off the porch and runnin with the big dogs. Got me a Hudson Forest 18" bandmill. Oughta suit my needs for a while anyway.
Rick :)
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Bibbyman

Congratulations!  I've not got any direct experience with the Hud-Son mill but they build quite a bit of equipment and attachments.  They even feature Wood-Mizer blades!

Hud-Son Oscar 18

Keep us updated.   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

M-B,
The Hudson band mill is as good as any to start learning on. If you go to the automated mills at a later time, you will have 75% of the sawmill learning done. Ask questions if you run into problems and we will help.

music_boy

You betcha Bibbyman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D INow that I got that piture upload thing figured out, I'll send pics too. This forum is really neat. I've learned so much just reading the posts and asking questions. Everyone is more than glad to share their knowledge. :P I belonged to a forum of folks that collect Aladdin mantle lamps.(another hobby of mine) Man!!!!!!!!!! some of those guys were less than forthcoming without some jing. >:( This is quite refreshing and I can say I will make less mistakes by having read the posts
Rick
BTW Thanks for the pic on the post
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

MrMoo

MB,
Congrats on the new mill. You're hooked now. Should be a great mill to learn on. Do have lots of fun.
Mike

music_boy

Ain't sawed my first board yet but I'm hooked. :D ;D
I deal with a boat Marina at work and it is always the same. A new customer with a 21 foot cabin boat will come back the next year, "Hey Rick, I sold that little boat and got this 38' cabin cruiser." Same with bandmills I believe ;D :D
Rick 8)

Larry

Rick,
If you're after quality lumber you can run with the big dogs all day long.  Might take a little experience and tweaking to get there but it is an easy goal to achieve.

Seems to me taking a tree from a raw resource into a musical instrument would be quite an achievement.

Looking into my crystal ball I can see a kiln in your near future.

Aladdin lamps!!  Wow, I like them to.  Fred Kottman -- Pink Barn Antiques -- right down the road from me.  Has a huge inventory of lamps and parts.  Like to look but scared to touch some of them.

Good luck.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

trey_w

whew...don't get me started on hobbies, I've got too many to count!   :D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

music_boy

Larry,
     That was the mistake I made with the lamps. Although I gotta tell ya, I've gotten some great deals on some of these things. I have a collection now worth enough to send my daughter to college for a year. Better than money markets! May have to sell some to get that bigger mill next year ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8)
rick

dail_h

Congrats on the new mill.Hudson has a very good reputation,and goog looking mills,and yep,you.re hooked
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Percy

Heya M.B.
Congrats on the new mill. Exciting times, been there. What type of instruments you into?? I can get you some Sitka if you use that type of wood. It grows wild around here, the sweetbutts are usually gobbled up at astronomical prices but every so often a sweetheart sneeks thru. There are a few guys with resaws here cutting guitar tops from the handsplit bolts they make first. Ill bet you could do that on your mill easy.... 8)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

music_boy

Percy,
     I made a mandolin that turned out so, so. I play guitar so it seemed logical  to build that. I am in the middle of one now that I bought as a kit and plan on using my wood with their plans. I have a couple of friends that build dulcimers and are looking for local woods.
     Sitka and engleman are the woods of choice for tops. I live on the east coast. If there is some kinda wood I could get for you, maybe we could do a "wood exchange " program. I'd love to get some sitka. One of the problems I have is finding a local wood that is suitable for tops. I'm looking at Virginia cedar as a possibility.
Thanks 8)
Rick

Percy

Hey Rick.
I play guitar as well. I have a yamaha accoustic(o.k.) and a yamaha classical(uggh) and a couple of Fender strats(one of em is just the best thing I ever played..spensive). Yea we have the Engleman as well up here. It may take a while but mebey I can get you a top or two outta these local tone wood guys.
Post a pic of the mandolin and guitar when its done/you have the time.
Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

music_boy

Percy,
I have a Gretch acoustic, pretty nice. I have a Nagoya 12 string,, real sweet. Bought it when I was in college in 1974. My favorite!!! I hope to make a 12 string outa the Osage Orange tree I got lined up. I was figuring I would have to buy a top from the supply I deal with.(stewart Mac) Fla Deadheader is going to share a piece of cypress for me to put ona guitar too. I'll post a pic of that mando soon.
Thanks
Rick

Jeff

I have a 57 gibson hollow body geetar es125 and the mandolin to go with it along with the original vacuum tube amp with reverb and tremelo. Also have a washburn accustic.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

music_boy

Jeff,
    That gibson be worth some buck-a-zolees :o. Mando too :o :o
Lota people I know goin back to the old school amps. Seems the digial ain't cuttin it for,em. I like bluegrass and Appalachia mountain\folk music best. Been known to do a blues lick or two.
Need to do what the mountain men used to do. Have a rendevous. Drinkin, sawin, and git fiddle-in. In that order ..............maybe.   8)
Rick

Jeff

Its only worth bucks after I'm gone. :)  Dad bought the pair from one of his friends that was dying from kidney disease. He wanted someone to have them that would appreciate them. He gave me the guitar for my 10th birthday. The mandolin came to me the day Dad died.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

music_boy

I understand !!
     I certainly didn't mean to equate the value solely on money. There is no price on sentimental value. In todays antique musical instrument market, the old instruments are valued because of their craftmanship,attention to detail, and the people that played them. don't mean to sound presumptious, but sounds like your Dad passed that onto you. what a great legacy!!!
Rick

dtody

Not to change the topic from musical instruments, but I got the "Oscar 18" a couple weeks ago.  Cut some walnut, a few problems with the crotches, and the log dogs are time consuming; it seems like most of the work is setting up.  The engine appears strong enough for what I'll be doing, aspen logs over the next couple days on the big island.  We, three sons and I, are cutting wood instead of deer hunting, talk about priority adjustment.  
Music_Boy. Keep up to date on little things with the mill and I'll do the same for you.  By the way, you might want to add lock washers to the cover bolts, if you haven't already, they tend to loosen from the vibration.

music_boy

dtody,
      I'll add those washers. Did you find the instructions wanting for detail??? I got it late yesterday and haven't had time to set it up. I did raise and lower the head. Needed to adjust the guides a tad to keep it from hanging up at the top. I also noticed the head was un-level at the top so I adjusted the one side with the eyelet bolt. I've got a set of boat trailer axles I want to add, and then I'll ramp the logs up. I'm thinkin an electric winch with some heavy webbing will work. Got a small hydraulic jack at Walmart that I think Ican rig to make a toe board out of.  
     If your log is slightly over 18", can you lop off the top and bottom and have it fit? I got a couple of cherry logs that are like 20".
 ::)
Thanks
Rick

dtody

"Wanting" is a mild way to describe the manual.  A line-drawn picture of a set-up mill would have been nice, at least.  Do you have the Carter guides?  Adjust them in/out if the log is irregular, it keeps the blade more level.  My little sack had the bolts, no nuts and I still haven't figured out where the double headed nails go, except to nail the 90angle to hold the track down???

This site is great about everyone respecting the type of mill someone has.  There seems to be a sense of community with a similar interest that some other sites lack.  The kidding around on this site always seems positive. Group Hug time!

music_boy

You got a sack of nuts ? I got the standard roller bearing guides. Figured they'd be o.k. I played around adjusting the bearings today. I finally just took the whole bearing assembly off and started from scratch. I think it is a good mill, but why didn't they use square stock instead of round. You get one bearing set, then tighten and evrything moves. Abit frustratng. I think I have it figured out though. I can't play with it til Thurs. I have a sears laser level that I think Ican rig up to this mill. If it wirks, I'll piture it and post it.
keep in touch
BTW, this is a great forum. Has really helped.
Rick

dtody

A sack of six bolt, no nuts, must be the "eunuch model."  The frame that holds the engine and blade apparatus is on square 1 1/8" steel, is yours round?

I'm going after logs this weekend, should have plenty to post.  Pictures too.

music_boy

The steel holding the blade guides is round. I think square there would make life better. Hopefully will have my guides adjusted tomorrow. Supposed to pick up a Persimmon log tomorrow that being held for me from the Hurricane. Might have some pics myself. Looking forward to yours ;D
Rick

HUNTER700

Hey read your posts about getting your mill. I think you will enjoy working with Hud-son's bandsaws. They really are a lot of fun to work with. I have had a Hud-son bandmill for about 8 months now and they are really the way cut wood. They are great mills ,one thing you will want to do is put some washers on the blade guards they have a bad habit of rattling off in the middle of a cut which is a big pain. It sounds like you were to do this from some of the previous posts. I had to work with  mine a bit to get the saw its self  level with the track system.  Well good luck. And straight cutting.       HUNTER700

Thank You Sponsors!