iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a Bandmill

Started by Gitrdone64, February 22, 2016, 05:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gitrdone64

Well the bug has hit. I pushed off buying one last year. I have built cabinets for many years then quite. Got back into cabinet making again and also want to mill my own lumber, then dry it.
8)Go ahead and flame me if you want I do not want the Wood-mizer LT 10 or LT 15 due to walking in the saw dust it throws at your feet. Should have to add something to a machine that cost that much to not walk in a path of saw dust.
I don't see very much on here about a Hud-son. I test one this weekend from a dealer. It cut great until we cut through over 8 nails and the blade was already used it was his demo saw. The saw was the Oscar 236 with the 23hp motor. The blade was toasted after the nails waves and just darn near wouldn't cut. what was funny is he was out of blades 1 guy came in and bought all he had Friday. I was very surprised Houston Texas had a sawmill dealer at all. He was a very nice person.

Ok so here is my deal on saws.
1. I have looked at the Woodlands mill HM126 and the are coming out with a HM130 in mid to late April 2016 V twin motor with 4 post design. Price is good but wait sucks.
2. Hud-son Oscar 236 *DanG you buy 15 pack of blades, saw and then add shipping which it is local or 1 hour drive. It's price tag is $8800 and some change no trailer or ramps only saw and base.
3. Cooks saw MP-32 with 23.5hp, package deal trailer, ramps, spare, cant pole, 10 package of cooks blades. $8800 and some change only a 20 hour round trip.
4. Norwood LM29 $5200 plus shipping

I am leaning toward the Cooks very much. What are y'all's thoughts? Please speak your mind I got thick hide. :laugh:
I'd rather be a has been then a never been!
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Magicman

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 22, 2016, 05:21:20 PMGo ahead and flame me if you want
That does not happen here on the Forestry Forum. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

From your post, I'd suggest waiting for the Woodland HM126 as it seems at this moment that it is what you want. In the interim, go to some mills and see them operate to confirm your decision.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vt k-9

Yes I would go with the cooks. They are a great company to deal with. The mill is very well built and will last a long time.

Upper

I chose to walk in sawdust.....................Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

hacknchop

Good to get a mill that meets your current needs as well as allowing you to grow a little before you are faced with the cost of an upgrade.I purchased Hudson Oscar 30 12 yrs ago still cuts good lumber and welcome to forum.
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gitrdone64.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bkaimwood

Welcome giterdone64...aside from me being partial, I would not discount a mill based upon where the sawdust lands, but understand your view...truth is, the only time it gets in your way, and is an interference, is when you don't clean up after yourself soon enough. Plus, it makes it more convenient to spread it out as a nice carpet to walk on while your sawing, 'specially on rough terrain :). With that being said, off your list, I'd buy the cooks...great rep., support, track record, experience...
bk

Gitrdone64

Thanks for the welcome.
Got off phone with Cooks. They have a 3.5 months wait for a saw darn it.
The Woodland is a HM130 and they will not have any until maybe mid April at the earliest.
I demo'ed a Oscar 236 and liked it and he has one in stock. Was looking at the Cooks for getting a little more bang for my money. I really don't want to wait 2 to 3 plus months for a saw.
Really thinking of the Oscar 236 with the 23 hp motor it sawed really good.
Everyones thoughts on the Hud-son's Oscar 236 please advise.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

bkaimwood

I've looked at their mills, and the saying, u get what you pay for is true...and NOT at the same time!!! The construction is no doubt, lighter than other ones mentioned... But they still make good lumber and seem to be reliable... So maybe you just have to be a little more "respectful" using one...sorry for the lack of better words there..I would be less inclined to abuse one, lets put it that way...I wouldn't be scared to buy one...
bk

Dave Shepard

You don't have to walk in sawdust if you flip the chute up. :) Welcome to the Forum!

https://youtu.be/TlMTxUwF-YY
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

never finished

I've had an Oscar 36 for years. still feel like I got my moneys worth. They are great people to help over the phone with problems. The truth is no one can build a perfect  hobby mill and keep the price at a hobby mill. With that being said I have never been afraid to modify. 

kelLOGg

I recommend very much looking at many mills in use. I did not know what to look for in a first mill but I could recognize sturdy well made machines. As I looked at mills in operation I rested my foot on the frame; some had marked vibration but the Cooks had virtually none. That got my attention and I ended up buying it 13 years ago. I have been very satisfied with it. It is quite rugged. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

I have a sawmill that I have to walk in the sawmill. I never move mine so it's easier for me to keep that side of the mill clean. The non sawdust side I have a log bed to roll my logs onto the mill. Would be a bother to keep it clean.
I have no idea about upcoming shows in your area.WM is having one here April 16. Some fairs have mills. You will like having a mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyswr

Have you taken a look at the Ez boardwalk or timber king? Both are sponsors with links on the left.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Gitrdone64

Yes I looked at an Easy Boardwalk. I was thinking if I didn't buy the local Hud-Son I would drive to Cooks and pick one up. I have looked and several saws. Wish I could buy just the mill and build my own track and trailer. I am an old steel fitter and thought of putting everything I liked into one trailer.

I am up against a time line. My daughter and future son-in-law have been given some very old pecan trees the fell over this last year. The trees have been in the family for many years and it would be cool for all their cabinets to be made from them. I have gone and seen the trees and they are very nice. They want their house finished and ready for their wedding day in October this year. So cutting and drying is the main issue. Waiting on th saw will put me behind the 8 ball if you know what I mean.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Jeff

Oh boy. I hope you have some sawing time well before you start in on pecan. That will be a very steep learning curve for a new sawyer on any mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gitrdone64

Yes I have a butt load of pine, cedar, and some hatch berry.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

kelLOGg

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 22, 2016, 09:28:48 PM
Wish I could buy just the mill and build my own track and trailer. I am an old steel fitter and thought of putting everything I liked into one trailer.
I am up against a time line.

Rather than push yourself into a tight schedule what about getting a sawyer to saw the pecan ASAP and find a kiln to start the drying process?

Have you asked any of the sponsors if they will sell you just the sawhead? You can build the carriage while the lumber is being sawn and dried. I know you want to do it yourself but the time crunch is tight.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Why not hire an experienced sawyer to saw up the pecan now if you can't get the mill you want immediately. You could help out and learn on the job... And in the meantime your pecan could be drying so you can finish the cabinets by your deadline.

Herb

Looks like Kellogg and I had the same thoughts...

vfauto

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

4x4American

Dave, that wireless is real cool.  I can see staying out of the offbearers way a big plus with it...or sitting inside a warm pickup sawing wood lol even though it seems wrong
Boy, back in my day..

Gitrdone64

Yes I have thought of hiring one.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

red

So from all the sawmills mentioned. Walking in sawdust is still an issue ?  I know some guys use a 5 gallon bucket to hold sawdust .  A mill this size is not producing major amounts of sawdust.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Deese

Welcome to the forum... Gitrdone!!!  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!