iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pachysandra for steep shady bank?

Started by gspren, October 15, 2021, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Sis in law has that on some banks for ground cover and it looks good but my dirt banks near my new pole building are much steeper, as in needing a ladder to plant. Will it work or is there a better alternative? Soil is poor and stays shaded most of the day. Of course cost is always a factor as there is a lot of square feet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Remle

Another plant to consider is :
Penngift Crownvetch
Pennsylvania State Plant

Crownvetch Facts
Crownvetch is a spreading, long-lived, winter-hardy, drought-tolerant, herbaceous legume with angular stems that grow to a height of 2 to 3 feet during the blooming period, after which the plant forms a dense mat about a foot deep. Its principal use is for erosion control, soil building, and ground cover. It is especially valuable for holding banks along highways. The stand improves with age and gradually chokes out other weeds. It is also used for its ornamental value on steep banks and hillsides.

No guarantee on how it will work for you , but in my travels through Pa it seem to be a good choice along their roads.
I especially like it's ability to choke out other weeds.

Roxie

You might take a look at Blue Rug Juniper. Ground hugging evergreen that spreads out and will grip the bank and is drought tolerant. The descriptions say full sun, but my dad planted these in full shade atop a retaining wall in 1969 and they're still there on the bank. 
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!