iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made it home

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 24, 2018, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, my wife and I made it home last night after about a week and half trip down to Fla and Alabama. Left Saturday a week ago and stopped in Charlotte NC and dropped off her Bernina sewing machine for repair. Stayed a couple nights with our daughter, SIL and 19 month old grandson. We tried to spoil Quinn but he needs a lot more work. At least I got him saying Grandpa which annoys my wife since he can't say Grandma yet. I guess I have the touch.

Left Monday for Bluff Springs in Escambia County Fla 500 miles away and made good time through Greenville SC and Atlanta which often have bad traffic. Stopped at Auburn for gas but did not go see what had changed since we met and attended there.

Next morning we got up and had breakfast and stopped to see friends with a used car lot and she made a few calls for us to local junkyards they use and found us a replacement Dodge truck bed. Becky's 2003 has rust over the tire wells from salt up here, attempts to fix it failed and replacements here are typically just as bad. No salt down there so was a good spot to find one. Checked it out, bought it and a tailgate and had them delivered to a local body shop to be painted. He could not swap it out then so we will go back and get it in a few weeks. I'd have driven a mismatched truck home and had my local shop paint it if we could have swapped them then.

Went over that afternoon with my brother and SIL and Mom to Jay Fla (Bucknwfl country) to get some fresh green peanuts from Lowery's outlet. On the way we spotted a local farmer on an old Ford tractor towing a load of melons fresh from the field so we turned around and followed him home. I bought 10 of the biggest ones he had.

Went on over to Lowery's and bought 40 lbs of fresh green peanuts for boiling and brought them the rest of the trip with us. We dropped off melons and a few peanuts with family and friends along the rest of our trip.

Got up Thursday and headed north to Tuscaloosa (The armpit of the earth for all AU fans). There is not straight route from Bluff Springs to Tuscaloosa  so we zig zagged up little county and state roads through west central Ala. I don't ever remember so many long loads of pine pulpwood being hauled to the mills. Occasionally we'd see a long load of sawlogs. Good roads but none big or straight north. Passed through a bunch of catfish farms and cattle and horse ranches. One farm had a pretty pair of mules a little bigger than ours.

It came to me on this trip that if we can ever find a way to eat kudzu south central Alabama can feed the world. It looked like there were miles and miles of it everywhere down there.

Visited BIL and his spouse in Northport outside Tuscaloosa for a few hours then headed to Birmingham to see wife's youngest brother. Stayed there a couple of nights and did a little cloth and book shopping. Wife hunted cloth while I'd buy books in used book stores and such. Finished off one melon and left him another and Becky ate up about half the peanuts BIL boiled for himself.

Got up Saturday and headed to Cullman area for wife's 45 year HS reunion. Stopped and saw her step mom for an hour or so at an assisted living home near there then on to West Point Ala for the reunion. Met a lot of old folks there and helped Becky take the class picture. She did the individual pictures inside.

Finished and packed up and headed for Atlanta to overnight. Weather was great except for a patch west of us that looked like several acres of dough with periodic lightening flashes through the middle and ugly funnel shapes around the edges. We got to Gadsden Ala and turned toward the storm and decided not to chance it so we stopped at a cheap hotel for the night. An old tired Rodeway Inn but the AC worked, the shower was hot and the bed was comfortable and we got a good nights rest.

Got up Sunday and drove to Atlanta then on towards Charlotte. Got up into Poston country just short of the SC/NC line and stopped for gas. Heard a sound like a tire going flat. Got out a checked and nothing obvious. Had got the tires before the trip and had about 2,000 miles on them. Finally checked the lugs and were loose enough to turn by hand. That's scary! Tightened them and no more sound so I guess that was it.

Got to daughters and resumed my Quinn spoiling efforts. He is a super neat little boy. I'd chase him and his big Golden Retriever, Sadie, would step between us to protect him. That was fun to see too.

Got up yesterday and went to get Becky's sewing machine and helped my SIL get a new dryer as theirs died while we were on the trip. Since we had a truck made it easy. Got them fixed up and headed home.

Got home and called a young neighbor friend to come get a big Hobart meat slicer I'd brought him. My nephew in Fla works for a grocery store chain and got a couple they were replacing. I'll get the other on the next trip. He seemed happy with it and a melon or at least his 10 y/o son was thrilled with the melon. I told him to pick and he said he'd just take them all.

Got everything unloaded and returned a couple of calls for slabwood customers. Now I have a customer on his way with a few cherry logs to saw and have peanuts boiling in the fish cooker on the porch. I guess it will take 3 boilings to finish them all.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Wow! Great trip and busy too!  Glad it was safe and no issues, though the lug nut situation was a good catch.😳
Nothing like getting home safe, unpacking and relaxing a bit.
Peanuts look good.  How long do the boil?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Great trip / report.

Next time you do the loop you can swing in here to Panama City, we'll leave the lights on for you...

Herb

WV Sawmiller

Sam,

You just about can't overcook peanuts (unless you boil them dry like I did that batch while writing this epistle - I might have lost a cup or so but most were okay). I'd say about an hour of boiling is probably pretty close. I have not tried it but I think you can put them in a crock pot on high overnight and do pretty good. I know to roast dry peanuts Dad used to preheat the oven to about 325 F or so and put them on a big shallow baking try a couple of layers deep, turn off the oven and put the peanuts in and leave overnight and they would be perfect in the morning with no burning or turning required.

Herb,

Thanks for the invite but my travels don't often take me that way any more. But, you never can tell. If I do I will try to look you up. Same goes for you if you find yourself lost in the WV mountains - come see us.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

I LOVE boiled peanuts!!!!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

Weekend,

Come on down and we will feed you a belly full. Looks like 316 miles from  Laurel Md to Hinton WV. I finished with 3 boilings in between customer making multiple trips here with one log at a time. Now we need to go buy salt as I used it all up in the process. 
Howard Green

Magicman

Congrats on a fun filled trip.  move_it  I got tired just trying to figure out which way you were goin'.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

btulloh

As much as I love peanuts, I've never had boiled peanuts.

What would you say is the main sellin' point of boiled peanuts over the other peanut forms?

I have to import peanuts now since all the peanut farmers are growing cotton and soybeans.  Used to be able to go down towards Suffolk and buy good fresh raw peanuts, but not any more.  If I can find some good raw peanuts maybe I'll try boiling 'em.

Glad you made it back home.  Sounds like you had a nice trip.
HM126

WDH

I boil mine on low for about 5 hours. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And yours are mighty good!!   thumbs-up

QuoteAs much as I love peanuts, I've never had boiled peanuts.
Bob, boiled peanuts do not have any of the peanut taste that you would expect.  The only way that I can describe the taste of boiled peanuts is that they taste like boiled peanuts.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

So did you stop off at the goat pen? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

No, we did not go see the goat but we were real close when the back left tire almost left on it's own. We were at the Rock Hill SC exit #104 on I-85 at the time. It still sends chills up and down my back thinking that at least 4 of the lug nuts were loose enough to turn by hand without even using a wrench. I once had a right front tire come off and leave me and was riding home from deer hunting on New year's Eve one time when our right rear tire and axle came off and rolled past us. 

Btulloh,

I can't believe you haven't tried boiled peanuts. Asking what they taste like reminds me of the old Justine Wilson routine where a man saw a little Cajun boy walking by with a hawk and asked him what he what he was going to do with it and he said he was going to eat it. The guy said he liked to cook and asked what hawk tasted like and the boy said "About like owl."
Howard Green

btulloh

:D :D

Yeah, it does seem odd that I haven't had any boiled peanuts, but they're just not a thing here in VA. I bumped into them down in GA way back - first I'd heard of boiled peanuts.  Never had or took the chance to try some.  High time I did, I s'pose.  Everybody I met that ate them was pretty much devoted to it.  I guess you wouldn't spend five hours boiling them if it wasn't worth it.  I reckon boiled peanuts are now on my bucket list.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Btullah,

We visited friends in the tidewater area of Virginia near Smithfield and such in August a couple years ago and there were big fields of peanuts everywhere and boiled and roasted peanuts were readily available. 

Try them the next time you see some. If not readily available and you can get green peanuts buy a few and boil your own. I had a friend who sold peanuts in our area and I asked what he did when no green peanuts available and he said they boiled dry ones. It just took longer. If I were trying to boil dry peanuts I think I'd soak them in water overnight with a weight on then or in a weighted bag to make sure they absorbed as much water as possible then boil them.
Howard Green

Southside

There is a BIG place on 460 between Waverly and Wakefield that serves any and all types of peanuts. About 30 minutes east of Petersburg.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

That sounds like the Virginia Diner.  Or in that vicinity.  There are lot's of places down there, but I guess I was never on the lookout for boiled peanuts.  My go-to place down there has always been Adam's.  Funky little place, lot's of "charm".  Time to swing by Agrisupply and then head down 460 for lunch I guess.  The weather this week would have been good for that kind of thing, but I've been tied up on more aggravating activities that can't be avoided.  Thanks for the info.
HM126

Weekend_Sawyer

I have used dried peanuts for a boil before. They are close but just a little tougher.

I'd love to visit. We'll have to plan on it one of these days.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WDH

Be sure and add salt to those green peanuts.  Makes all the difference. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Peanuts are sorta fool proof regarding the salt.  Not salty enough, add salt and boil some more.  Too salty, boil them in unsalted water and the salt will leach out.

You can not mess up a boiled peanut.   ;D

WV Sawmiller

Wanna bet? Try boiling them dry and get that nice charcoal taste from handling the hulls. :D :D

Good advice on the salt issues. Another thing is if you let them sit in the salty water after you turn the heat off they will absorb more salt too. If you like less salt pour them in a strainer as soon as you turn the heat off and you can wash with fresh water to remove even more. They are really hard to mess up.
Howard Green

WDH

One must taste test the saltiness several many times during the boiling process :).

SawyerTed

Would it be too much to ask for a recipe or directions for boiling peanuts?  

I'm asking for a friend.  :) ;)
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

One recipe I saw on line said add 1/2 cup of salt to a gallon of water and use water solution adequate to cover the peanuts. We have used ice cream salt too. 

At old time southern peanut boilings they were cooked in a big old cast iron washpot. I see them being boiled in 55 gallon drums by the roadsides all over the South. I never bothered to check to see what had been in the barrels. That might have been a taste additive.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Thanks!  How long do they boil?  

I've got the wash pot I cook chicken stew in.  I've always wanted to try boiled peanuts but never have found a roadside stand I felt good about their peanuts.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Boil to taste. You can't overcook them. I figure about an hour at a good rolling boil is generally adequate.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!