iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree felling help / training

Started by Crusarius, October 23, 2017, 12:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

So I am almost done building my bandsaw mill. The next step will be removing the trees from where I want to build my shop.

I have never felled a tree over about 6" and I screwed those ones up pretty good. I know there is to much potential for "body damage" so I am wondering if there is a place I can go get some on the job training? Or maybe someone who may come help me learn. I have a very large area of trees to practice on.

Still need to buy a nice saw but maybe I just need to make the craftsman run for now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I typically subscribe to learn as you go but in this situation I think I will be wiser.

Plankton

I don't follow the practices when logging and have never taken the course so full disclaimer for this advice but as far as I know I would look up if there's any game of logging begginer courses in your area. That will teach you the basics with a high emphasis on safety which is great for begginers.
If you don't already have it make sure to go to your local saw dealer and stock up on all the ppe, chaps hard hat hearing protection and boots at a minimum.

Oh ya and constantly look up, lots stuff to do you some damage up in the canopy and you'll know what your tree is doing before it's to late.

alan gage

Some info in this thread I started last week: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,98221.0.html

The Husqvarna video linked towards the end is really good. It's a series of videos, this being the last one. Search out the earlier ones that give more info on setting up the cut.

The book Professional Timber Falling by Doug Dent is worth the money too.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

ohiowoodchuck

Contact your local forester. The state is always having a chainsaw class at a state forest somewhere. You just have to find out where.
Education is the best defense against the media.

John Mc

I'll second the recommendation of looking into the Game of Logging classes. It's a great way to jump-start your learning. The national organization can be found at gameoflogging.com You can also find some brief descriptions of the classes offered on that site.

In your area, Bill Lindloff's ProCuts offers the training. He can be reached at blprocuts@aol.com
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!