iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can this chain be saved?

Started by bendjoseph, August 31, 2011, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

I hit a rock with a fairly new chain.  I had to file away half down each tooth to fix the damage.  The chain just does not cut like it used to.  My angles are correct as is the depth of cut.  Can't figure out whats wrong.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bendjoseph

They were still good, I am using a Stihl gauge.

Al_Smith

If you filed it correctly it should be faster because the tooth narrows towards the back .

bendjoseph

I will give it another try this weekend.

Ianab

Just filing away 1/2 the cutter shouldn't stop it working, the chain is just 1/2 worn out now.

But if it took that much of a beating have the cutters actually been bent or deformed in some way, so they are not exactly the same shape / angles they should be?

I'd also double check the rakers, if you have had to file the chain that much they should need a touch up by now.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lumberjack48

If you haven't filed the rakers, there higher than the cutters
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

thecfarm

You say not cutting right,not drawing itself into the wood,cutting at an angle?
I have hit many rocks with my saw. I saw my stumps close to the ground. I mostly have the hardest time when I'm clearing the grown up pasture. I want this back as a field. I can most time only get one stump per sharping. I usually just take about 6 swipes than try it. Not good enough,I take another 6 and that just about always does it. At times I may have to sharpen only one side,due to rock damage only on that side or due to it not cutting good. Been at this for 30 years now,so it works for me.I have never taken down a chain half way due to rock damage,but I have never hit one real bad either. I have bent a tooth before too. It's rare,but I just grind that one right off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

It be important to know like Cfarm said , if the saw is cutting straight or not or if it is not making nice chips. I also think that the rackers need attention.
I give them attention after the first filling, let alone half the tooth  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

Ideally according to the "book" all teeth should be the same length .However in practicality very few people including myself subscribe to that theory .

There are methods to overcome a short tooth but I don't want to cloud the issue .

Now on a fast chain for years on a racer the chain is taken back to right ahead of the back rivet .As such the width is less because ot the side tooth relief angle and the approach angle because of the length from the raker to the cutter top angle is longer .

You set the raker for at 22-25 thou deep on 3/8" chisel .If you thnk about it it's like compairing an axe to a straight razor .

You have to remember on chisel and most likely others there's a top angle too in addition to a side relief angle .If you really scrutinize a chain some time it will be pretty evident .

bendjoseph

I reinspected the chain last night.  The right side teeth still have slight damage.  I will file off another .025".  Then I will rechecker the rakers.

Al_Smith

Just file them all back until you have a good straight cutter tooth and call it a day .

It isn't like you are filing a race chain now .Close enough is good enough . ;D

shelbycharger400

just dont make it like the chain i had on my 917...  chain was so worn out before i got it, that the rakers were nearly gone,  and only about a 1/4 in of the teeth were their    , read about 80 percent was gone, i understood it was an oddball at 17in long bar.   i found a 20 in bar that works on it.

chains are cheap at around 20 to 35 bux now
i think i bought a chain set for a 36 in stihl bar for 40 bux at the dealer.

grassfed

Have you checked the bar for a ridge?
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!