iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knots

Started by Magicman, March 10, 2010, 05:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

www.IWillKnot.com

Just some simple stuff, but interesting.  Click on each and there's a video.  I was disappointed that my favorite, clove hitch, was knot not there... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Awesome!  Thanks!

Dan_Shade

i've had a keen interest in knots since I was a little kid.

my favorite hitch is the constrictor hitch. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WH_Conley

Bill

D Hagens

There was a site that used to let you d/l all the animated knots for free, I used to have it and it sure came in handy.

Dan_Shade

if you know a small handful of knots, life with ropes becomes easy.

Learning the knots is the first step, learning to combine the knots to accomplish the task at hand is the second.

If you know the clove/two half-hitches and the bowline, you can do a lot.

Climbers tend to use some pretty fancy knots to get the job accomplished too!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

On my website, I have some links to knot sites, animated, general and fancy.  I've always loved knots, functional or ornamental either one.

timberfaller390

I spent several years on the local cave rescue team so knots are second nature to me. The saying we used to hear all the time from the F.D. guys that didn't know a rope from a snake was "If you can't tie a knot, tie alot".
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

D Hagens

Very cool links Tom. :) The second link sure helps figure out the tougher ones. :)

ErikC

Always liked knots also. One of my favorites is the diamond hitch, when I am tying that one I am about to climb on my horse. ;D
Practically speaking a man can get almost anything done if he knows a bowline, truckers hitch, half hitch and clove hitch.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Brucer

I can tie a clove hitch with my eyes closed, but I was never partial to it.

A full hitch is quick and easy to tie but I don't like to put a heavy load on it.

I use the bowline a lot, it's just so DanG versatile and easy to untie after a heavy load.

The only knot I use for tying two ropes together is the Carrick Bend. Very strong and easy to untie after being loaded.

The constrictor knot is fun and is useful in a few cases, but it can also be dangerous.

Years ago I read about a knot for tying two ropes, called the "Zeppelin knot". It's pretty simple and again is easy to untie even after carrying a heavy load. I have never seen this knot described outside of my original source -- The Mother Earth News.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Captain

The figure eight family of knots is the latest rave in the Fire/Rescue service so I try to use them whenever possible.

Captain

tonto

nice, thanks Magicman. Tonto
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

zopi

Favorite knot...tugboat bowline...won alot of money with that knot...

books...Ashley's Book of Knots..and the Maritime Press Encyclopedia of knots...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

what is the tugboat bowline?

I have ashley's book.  It's a "must have" for knot fanatics.

zopi

Come to think of it I spent some time last summer learning how to make rope...handy skill...grab a spool of baler twine and make a nice piece of manila....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 12, 2010, 06:55:37 PM
what is the tugboat bowline?

I have ashley's book.  It's a "must have" for knot fanatics.
tugboat bowline is a quick loop knot...sort of an inverted bowline...hold a piece of rope in both hands, running end to the right, a couple or three feet long, swing the running end around the standing part left of your left hand, continuing up between your arms and over,
this will make two loops feed the right one through the left one and pull..done..

http://www.knotpro.com/members/fun_knots_tug_boat_bowline.htm
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!