iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak for fence boards

Started by buzywoodliff, October 08, 2015, 09:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzywoodliff

I know white oak holds up better outdoors, but how long would you all expect red oak to last as fence boards.... And any input on coatings is appreciated.
( it'll be for some friend's horses and we're in michigan )

Thanks

beenthere

Here is a pic of the red oak board (1x6) fence I put up in 1965.. The boards are weathered, and some sections are down because the white oak 4x4 fence posts gave up at the ground line.
Didn't expect 50 years out of it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I've seen them last for years as well, not sure about the treating, there was a place up the road that treated oak,  they since have gone under.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Once they dry out you can paint them occasionally with cuprinol (copper napthenate). Good stuff, kills bugs and fungus, not very toxic once dry and lasts a long time. Put it on heavy wherever one piece of wood meets another. That is where rot hits first. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

buzywoodliff

Thanks for the input.... Sounds like I'll be sawing some fence boards!!

Banjo picker

I have been kind of waiting on this topic to surface.  When I built the fence for the back yard, I run out of white oak 30 feet before I could finish.  I can't vouch for exactly how old the fence is but from checking the dates on the forum gallery it is at least 5 years old, as it was complete by nov 28 of 2010.  Here is a pict. of several sections, can you tell which are red and which are white?   

...Pay no attention to the small boards stuck in the fence, those are tomato stakes.   :D :D

Here is a section of white.

Here is section of red.

I surely cant tell the difference by just looking, but some probably can, but here is the difference.....Here is the white at the bottom where the ground contacts:

Not much if any noticeable rot. 

Now check out the red oak:

You can definitely see the degrade setting in.  I will have to replace them or at least the bottom foot or so before too long.  So it appears if you keep the fence totally off the ground as shown in beenthere's horizontal fence you will be ok....but don't let the red get even near the ground as shown in my vertical fence.  Have a great day.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

That is a very nice comparison Tim. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Thanks Lynn... When i built the fence
I wanted to build each 10 ft. section out of different species of wood we have here on the place for a comparison,if you will.  i though that would be really neat, but my bride didn't think so much of my research project.  At least i got to compare red and white oak.   i have had several folks ask about using pine or hickory for fence.  it would be good to say ....do you want to see some samples.... 8) 8)   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I have sawed wall paneling for many customers that wanted a different species in each room.  It is quite a common request.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

Most of the horse fence I cut is red, we much more of it here.  Also, the fence I cut is 3 or 4 rail horizontal, none near the ground, and the post are pressure treated.  Some use pine, but the horses chew on it the they break when they get pushed by the critters.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

reswire

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 09, 2015, 11:50:12 AM
Once they dry out you can paint them occasionally with cuprinol (copper napthenate). Good stuff, kills bugs and fungus, not very toxic once dry and lasts a long time. Put it on heavy wherever one piece of wood meets another. That is where rot hits first. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Cuprinol is the stuff we used when I was a kid.  Great stuff.  My father built a walk way out of rough lumber treated with Cuprinol.  It lasted 40 years, much to everyone's surprise.  Where can you buy it now?  I thought it had been banned.

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

mesquite buckeye

Home Depot sells it. Just not that brand. Look in the wood preservatives for oil based copper napthanate. It is in the list of ingredients. It's something like $20 a gallon. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

reswire

Im building an addition to my mill shed, and am considering white oak posts, treated with cuprinol.  Any thoughts?  I need it to last 20 plus years......
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

ForestGump

Any rough ideas on life expectancy of cedar posts vs white oak vs store bought treated 4x4?
Let the wood times roll!

Brad_S.

I have been unable to find store-bought 4 x 4 rated to withstand ground contact.   The smallest size I could find was 4 x 6. The 4 x 4's that you buy at the big box stores are not designed to be buried.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

gspren

A friend bought "landscape timbers" 2 sides flat, 2 rounded, and they rotted in less than 5 years. We think they were just sprayed with some green food coloring.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

reswire

I found wood preservative with copper additive at Home Depot like was mentioned.  Only problem is it's a non stock item, and takes 10 days to deliver.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait a little longer.....
Good thing it is only 85 bucks for five gallons.

Thank You Sponsors!